Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Pre-lubing bore ?

Boolit Buddy

Pre-lubing bore ?

I have been reading on the sharps forum about pre-lubing the bore, but for some reason I can not get authorized to post there.
    When pre-lubing do you have to do your load development around that or can you start after? I know when I started getting into shooting my 45-2.4 I asked about doing that and was told it would affect accuracy but see now quit the opposite.

Thanks Scott

Vendor Sponsor

You can pre-lube with any load no mater how it was developed.

All you are hoping for by lubing the barrel is to avoid leading on the first shot from a naked, clean barrel. After the first shot, depending on the fouling control, you are good to go.

Leaving bore cleaning products in the barrel for the first shot can cause leading. Some barrel solvents are good at pulling lead from the bore. That is in part why we use them. If they are not removed from the inside of the barrel, the inside of the barrel wants to remove lead from the next bullet to go through. Then, as often the case, lead galling makes the problem bad.

Pre-lube is not a bad idea.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    I asked about doing that and was told it would affect accuracy but see now quit the opposite.

Thanks Scott
    It would affect accuracy how? For better or worse?
    Develop your loads as you normally would and always shoot shoot them through a pre-lubed bore would be my guess.
    I don't pre-lube, just run a wet patch followed by a dry patch before the first round. Have you seen much of a difference pre-lubing?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    It would affect accuracy how? For better or worse?
    Develop your loads as you normally would and always shoot shoot them through a pre-lubed bore would be my guess.
    I don't pre-lube, just run a wet patch followed by a dry patch before the first round. Have you seen much of a difference pre-lubing?
    I was told it would make it worse. I have not tried it yet, but after Chill Wills recommendation will try it.

I have one rifle that leads shooting bore riding GG bullets and the more I shoot it the more build up I get and accuracy falls off the charts. As much as I like the rifle I will not use it for a match if the conditions don't allow me to use a blow tube.
    What works with this rifle is either pre lubing the clean dry bore with a patch or smearing thick layer of lube on the bullet ogive for the first shot fired. Smearing the lube on the bullet nose seems to do a better job then a patch and all of the loads have to have a thin layer of lube on the ogive like some greasy .22 rimfire ammo has and this lets me shoot a whole match with out the accuracy falling off if the conditions let me use a blow tube for controlling the fouling. Wiping between shots with this rifle does not work. I nine lead when I clean it.

Boolit Master
    When wiping between shots I think it is a very good idea to run the same patch configuration you'd use when wiping before firing the first shot. As Chills says you reduce changes of leading, especially in really hot dry weather.

Also, it seems to me that this should make bore condition for the first shot similar to what it'd be for the following shots. I don't think it quite works out that way, but I think it is better than a dry bore.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    If I'm blow tubing, I always pre-lube with a tight patch over a mop. No lead but it does take several shots to settle down. When wiping, I use 5-1 oil water mix and pre-lube with a damp patch. What convinced me of this, is that when I tried 2 wet patches, followed by a dry, I would get leading.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. I should have put this as a two part question as to what people are using? I have read bore butter, or NAPA oil. I have been using bore butter for my 44-40's and revolvers for years.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the same lube I used on the bullets for "seasoning" or pre lubing the bore. I work some into a patch ( it usually the patches I used to wipe the bases with when loading) then a clean dry Patch or 2. I ussually due this after cleaning as the lubes waxs and oils also make a good rust perservitive. It provides lube for the first shot. I wipe at the range with 20-1 ballistol water mix and clean at the range with windex with vinegar, or windex multi surface with vinegar.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the windex with vinegar for cleaning after reading all of the Dukes books years ago. I got out of black powder shooting in about 2008, and just started again last fall and when I stopped shooting it around my area it was unheard of to pre-lube the bore.

Boolit Master
    I use DGL on my bullets and wipe with 30% NAPA / 70% water. I "prelube" the bore with my wiping fluid, mop the chamber and the first shot is ready to go.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    Thanks guys. I should have put this as a two part question as to what people are using? I have read bore butter, or NAPA oil. I have been using bore butter for my 44-40's and revolvers for years.

I use bore butter patches and run one through the barrel of my trapdoor every 10th shot.

Boolit Master
    I haven't seen any leading in any of my guns. I use Johnson's Paste Wax on the cast bullet and mutton lard in a felt wad sandwched beween two soda case wads.

The JWP also seems leave a mirror like smooth finish inside the barrel after cleaning. Hard to believe the first time you see it. Like a telescope mirror.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ever hear of Lehigh Valley Lube & Cleaner? Try it. I have 4 spray bottles - just in case
    http://www.svartkrutt.net/articles/vis.php?id=37
    Regards
    John