RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Sight dovetail replacement for GPR

Boolit Grand Master

Sight dovetail replacement for GPR

Both my best friend and myself are looking for a replacement piece for the sight dovetail for our GPRs. I have what Brownell's sells - only one size. It fit my Winchester (Mikoru) 95 perfectly but doesn't fit the GPR or my Uberti 74 - it's too large (wide and high) for either of them.

I have an e-mail in to Lyman, for the past week but haven't received an answer. Does anyone know of another slightly smaller sight dovetail replacement? Or do I have to order the one blank side triangular file?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Perma-Banned
    I would file down one side of the slot blank you got from Brownell's 'til it fit the dovetail slot. be a lot easier & cheaper than filin' the barrel slot. and you wouldn't need a 40 dollar file to do it.

Perm-Banned
    you are about to learn how to do minor gunsmithing. do as said above. polish when done and reblue.

Perma-Banned
    This is my Lyman Great Plains Hunter, i put the Lyman 57GPR Tang peep on it and the Lyman 17AEU globe front sight, the buckhorn that came with it was in my way so i drifted it out and was just gonna leave it alone but the dove cut in the barrel bothered me, SO i took the buckhorn and commenced grinding away, when i got it close enough to my liking i swabbed it with cold blue. Its not perfect, but close enough for me, and now the dove slot is filled!

Attachment 191970

Perma-Banned
    I tried to get a dovetail filler over at Buffalo arms but nothing they had would fit it right, i took mine along and we calipered them. That left me to craft my own, i dont miss the cheesy buckhorn rear sight at all, i put it in a vise and hack sawed the bulk off, then got it really close with a dremel, and finished it on a stone and fine grit sand paper. Its not a difficult chore!

Boolit Master
    Like 54bore says, trim up the GPR stock sight. They're easy to replace.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    I would file down one side of the slot blank you got from Brownell's 'til it fit the dovetail slot. be a lot easier & cheaper than filin' the barrel slot. and you wouldn't need a 40 dollar file to do it.

Yep, always work on the cheapest part to replace.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Like 54bore says, trim up the GPR stock sight. They're easy to replace.
    Yep, you can easily and cheaply replace it if you ever choose to do so, in my opinion the stock Lyman buckhorn rear sight is a cheap piece of junk. If i were to like buckhorn sights i would do some searching and buy a good one.

Boolit Master
    for being junk I have more then one on my target rifles. rather then cut up a good sight why not take a piece of steel and cut one out. a hack saw and a file should get you there.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    for being junk I have more then one on my target rifles. rather then cut up a good sight why not take a piece of steel and cut one out. a hack saw and a file should get you there.
    I will rephrase that, to ME PERSONALLY they are JUNK, GARBAGE. If i had a box full of them i would send them to you, I'd even pay the shipping

Boolit Grand Master

The blanks are usually oversize for fitting. You can fit it with a standard 3 corner file with one flat ground off. Otherwise take any old broken sight and file it flat on top.