Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My J-Frame just became a little more classy!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    They did, at least for a little while - it was called the 315 Night Guard. (Lightweight, 38 Special K-Frame) Unfortunately the Night Guard series didn't fare well.
    Yep, I remember drooling over it. The $900.00+ price tag was the problem, very few people are going to spend that kind of cabbage on a six shot .38 revolver for a carry piece. Those that will are probably going to choose a tricked out .357 or a vintage piece like a Colt DS. What Smith needs to do is come out with some Airweight K-frame .38's as regular production items. I see no reason why they couldn't, the Airweight J-frames go for around $350.00 here and sell like mad. No fancy finishes, scandium frames, or anything like that, just a basic EDC revolver like the J-frames are with a real world price under $500.00. I see no reason why they wouldn't be successful.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

They are pretty, but I have to say looks don't mean much to me on a working gun. My Js all wear ugly rubber Hogue Bantams.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    What Smith needs to do is come out with some Airweight K-frame .38's as regular production items. I see no reason why they couldn't, the Airweight J-frames go for around $350.00 here and sell like mad. No fancy finishes, scandium frames, or anything like that, just a basic EDC revolver like the J-frames are with a real world price under $500.00. I see no reason why they wouldn't be successful.
    That sounds logical. What we tend to forget is the manufacturers have the sales numbers so they better know what sells. For example I cannot understand how anyone would buy a J frame .357, but they sell, and S&W is in the business of selling guns. Frankly I'd buy a compact 9 every time rather than a K frame lightweight.
    Rule 303

Banned
    Yep, I remember drooling over it. The $900.00+ price tag was the problem, very few people are going to spend that kind of cabbage on a six shot .38 revolver for a carry piece. Those that will are probably going to choose a tricked out .357 or a vintage piece like a Colt DS. What Smith needs to do is come out with some Airweight K-frame .38's as regular production items. I see no reason why they couldn't, the Airweight J-frames go for around $350.00 here and sell like mad. No fancy finishes, scandium frames, or anything like that, just a basic EDC revolver like the J-frames are with a real world price under $500.00. I see no reason why they wouldn't be successful.
    /\ Spot On /\

Attachment 192021 The Model 12 was discontinued in 1986, which was a shame because it had merit.

The Night Guard 38 Special (315NG) was a good concept. Lightweight, rated for +P, excellent sights but it was seriously over priced. I agree that someone in that market would probably just look for a pristine old model Colt Cobra or Agent; the price would end up the same.
    If S&W could produce a budget, no frills, lightweight 2" K-frame; they would probably find a small market for it. However, at the K-frame size, even with a 2" barrel - you're getting solidly into small 9mm pistol territory in terms of size. That market would be limited to the revolver oriented guys and gals. We can still hope .

Banned
    Piedmont - Clearly you're a fan of Breaker Morant (rule 303)
    Great movie !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    They are pretty, but I have to say looks don't mean much to me on a working gun. My Js all wear ugly rubber Hogue Bantams.
    I don't disagree, i put the Altamont's on to solve a problem which they did. Just so happens that they are very pretty too!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I would buy an Airweight K-Frame all day! I'd love a .44 Special which come to think of it would be like a premium version of a Charter Arms Bulldog. S&W brought their answer to the Taurus Judge with the Governor, I'd love to have an Airweight K.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

My J-Frame just became a little more classy!

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    /\ Spot On /\

Attachment 192021 The Model 12 was discontinued in 1986, which was a shame because it had merit.

The Night Guard 38 Special (315NG) was a good concept. Lightweight, rated for +P, excellent sights but it was seriously over priced. I agree that someone in that market would probably just look for a pristine old model Colt Cobra or Agent; the price would end up the same.
    If S&W could produce a budget, no frills, lightweight 2" K-frame; they would probably find a small market for it. However, at the K-frame size, even with a 2" barrel - you're getting solidly into small 9mm pistol territory in terms of size. That market would be limited to the revolver oriented guys and gals. We can still hope .
    I agree that the Nightguards were a great concept. Unfortunately S&W insisted on putting an internal lock in them. The light weight frames have developed a bad reputation for locking themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 03-30-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Mold
    Please get back with us after you shoot some carry loads with those grips. I'm betting you won't enjoy it. I have a flat latch Smith Model 36 with diamond magnas and Tyler T Grip that I can tolerate stout loads with, but I put the magnas on my 442 one time just cause I thought they looked good. Big mistake! I thought I was gonna have nerve damage after 1 cylinder full. The rubber went right back on!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 637 has the lock, I permanently deactivated it by filing off the nub which locks the hammer and removing the word "Locked" on the other side. I have an extra, unmodified one to put on it if I ever have to send it back to S&W.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12