Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My J-Frame just became a little more classy!

Boolit Master

My J-Frame just became a little more classy!

Thanks to a set of Altamont super rosewood classic stocks. This example is a 442 no-lock in .38 Special, no hitlery hole for me! It came with the standard rubber over molded boot grip which did the job adequately as far as shooting was concerned. However a problem had shown its face couple weeks ago when we did a "shoot what you carry" IDPA match. I use the Safariland speed loaders that you push on the body to release the rounds and under a little stress inoculation, had a really hard time getting the reloads done quickly and efficiently. The rubber grip wouldn't allow inline acess for the speedloader it made it cant which tied it up on release and the rubber gripped the body of it adding resistance. If I had to count on it to save my life or the lives of others, this had to be amended. These beautiful Altamont's greatly increased the ease of reloading and they look really nice and feel great. I carry the gun in my right front pocket in a Sticky holster and the new grips make extraction nicer too.

All in all, glad I did it. These original slim grip stocks can be an acquired taste. I looked at the original Magna's from back in the day like you would find on a Model 36 and I really didn't care for them but these are beautiful! It's not as classic as a lovely blued steel M36 that many officer's and agents used to carry but it certainly nods a tip of the hat to a bygone era....

Before
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170324_144518.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	191909

After!

Name:	20170324_145621.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	191910
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 03-27-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

Looks *very* good, but I went the other direction; instead of changing grips, I changed speedloaders. Went to the bianchi speed strips. They seem to require less fine motor skill to use, so, while not as fast in perfect conditions, they work very well under stress.

https://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-Speed.../dp/B000JVKLTU

Boolit Master

Pretty grips!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Looks *very* good, but I went the other direction; instead of changing grips, I changed speedloaders. Went to the bianchi speed strips. They seem to require less fine motor skill to use, so, while not as fast in perfect conditions, they work very well under stress.

https://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-Speed.../dp/B000JVKLTU
    I've got some speed strips too and the do work and feed and carry nice. I have some of the HKS style too with the twist knob but the Safariland's are quicker, hold rounds more securely and you don't need to hold the cylinder from rotating to release the speedloader since they release buy pushing into the cylinder.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

My J-Frame just became a little more classy!

Love the look of wood, but need a Tyler T grip to be able to shoot comfortably with Magnas. Both my j frames wear Spegel grips. No lock S&W 340 on the top and a 649-3 pre lock on the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Looks very nice! I also went the opposite direction though. I put a set of Pachmeyer (sp?) combat grips on my Model 36 snub and have never regretted it. I have carried it often and for me and my hands, the combat grips just work better. I can practice and put several hundred rounds through it without any effect on my hands. The factory grips on my 36 just didn't cut it for me as far as comfort. The same goes for my Model 36 3".

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Lookin' good. I use Pachmayr Compac Pro grips with my 637. They have a nice classic look and still grip quite well. I also use speed strips with it as I have found that they carry more easily and are about as quick as speedloaders when you are using wadcutters.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Those are some beauty's you have there 2Anut!

I am on the fence about ordering a Tyler T-grip, I know a lot of guys like them. I haven't tried one before but not like they are super expensive or anything.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Perma-Banned

They look great. I have a j frame 32 long that I use for fun. I am going to order up a set.

If you don't like the T-grip, you can sell it on Fleabay for more than you paid for it!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Wood J Frame Grips

I really like wood grips on a revolver and all the above certainly look nice.

I've had these grips on various J Frame revolvers for something like 35 years and they fit the hand perfectly and while not as recoil absorbing as some of the rubber grips, their wide back strap does moderate even 357 loads pretty well. It also extends the trigger away from the hand a bit for good double action control, a little more like a K F Frame in feel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S&W 60-10 01.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 03-27-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master
    To me adding room for the third finger makes the grip long enough that conceaability is
    lost to a noticeable degree.....may as well carry a small 9mm then.

These original slim grip stocks can be an acquired taste.
    I like these.

Banned
    I went with Eagle Secret Service grips on J-frames many years ago and have been happy ever since. The Spegel Boot Grip is really top of the line and I have a set on a S&W model 12-2 (thin frame). They're beautiful grips but I would cry if I beat them up in daily carry. I need something to fill the space between the front strap and trigger guard, so it's some type of "Boot Grip" or a Tyler "T" Grip Adaptor for me. Both of those options result in a good grip that doesn't increase the overall bulk of the gun.

As for speedloaders, I use Bianchi Speed-Strips for every day concealed carry. The Speed Strip is flat and fits perfectly in the watch pocket of pair of jeans. When it comes to actual speedloaders, I switched to Safariland years ago and never looked back. I've never had a problem with Safariland loaders with any revolver grip that was properly relieved for speedloaders.

Boolit Master

Very nice! There's just something about wood.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

S&W needs to bring back the model 12. I love my wheelguns but the 637 is the only one that ever gets carried due to the weight of the others.

Boolit Master
    They really do give you some more room and allow the hand higher up on the gun than the boot grip did. I can actually get my little finger almost fully on there now which was absolutely hopeless with the prior though it offered more fill into the palm. I'll go put some rounds through it this week and see if I think I need to add a T-grip or not. I do think it carries a little nicer now not that it was bad before though. I also have a 360J which is a Scandium .38 J-Frame and it came with the same style of rubber overmold grip but it was a combat grip. While it was great to shoot since you could get a full hand on it, it was a bit much in the pocket. I found myself putting it in my toolbox while working because of it. This 442 It rarely leaves my pocket, I honestly forget it's there most the time which is nice. Gotta love J-Frames!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

I've got an old 36, 3"bbl, square butt that is a real dandy...since I put the Pachmeyer's on it..I got big hams and arthritis and it was the spawn of the devil himself before the change...shoots just fine now and no blood or swelling.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    S&W needs to bring back the model 12. I love my wheelguns but the 637 is the only one that ever gets carried due to the weight of the others.
    They did, at least for a little while - it was called the 315 Night Guard. (Lightweight, 38 Special K-Frame) Unfortunately the Night Guard series didn't fare well.

Boolit Master
    I fashioned my own, to match one of the folders I made, out of black and yellow mircarta. The second one, from top. Grips are copied from Bianchi's rubber/plastic offerings.

Name:	DSC02269.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	192011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02270.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	192012

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	192013

Winelover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast