MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: True value

Boolit Buddy

True value

I have a friend that's offering me a chance at a sporterized Lee Enfield MK1 date stamped 1904. His Father had the work done or did it himself; when he passed this was handed down with several others to his brother. He sent me a few pictures and a video of the whole gun. I don't think I can upload a video.

I don't know a lot about LE so I'm looking what would be a fair price to offer him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Master

Well, it had a factory rebuild at some point during its military service and thus the strike through on the original serial number. Perhaps this was done in Australia as the striker knob looks very Aussie to me and is the type normally found on Australian Lithgow production, but the plain broad arrow on the bolt handle probably indicated British Army property. The "FR" on the receiver indicates that the rebuild was done in India. The crossed flags on the bolt handle indicate a proof mark in general. If they had a letter code, it would ID the arsenal. If that is an "EY" on the barrel knox, it means "Only Fire Ball Ammo in an Emergency."

More photos of the other proofs and makings will help.

Sporterized Lee Enfields don't really have a whole lot of value. Had it been unmolested, its value would be significantly higher, almost into the stratosphere if were in its original No 1 Mk I guise. You can still find nice specimens of Short Magazine Lee Enfields (No 1 Mk III*) in unaltered condition for affordable prices.

As to this one's value? Perhaps a photo of the full length of the rifle would help estimate a value.

Lee Enfields had a steady diet of corrosive primers and very hot burning cordite propellant. Check the throat and bore carefully for wear and pitting.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 03-27-2017 at 01:57 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Nice it has Edwards cypher. More pics would help.
    It has been refurbished maybe many times.
    If that rifle could talk you would have to sit down !!!!
    Get the headspace checked.
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Buddy

I'll have it in my possession tomorrow to inspect, I'll try and get some photos of it then.

USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.

Boolit Master

Try a photo lengthwise as well as of all the proofs and other markings. They all tell a story and a lengthwise shot will give us an idea of much it was "sporterized."
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy

Some more pictures

USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.

Boolit Master

Well...

The rear sight is a windgauge model representative of the pre III* mods, but it has no elevation adjuster.

The "EY" on the top of the receiver ring and barrel boss indicates that it was not to be used with ball ammo except in an emergency. It's probably a strong hint that the rifle is defective in some manner.

I don't know if the clip guide was removed during the molestation process or if it is original as the very early marks of the No I didn't have a clip guide or the right side was attached to the bolt head. When modified to the Mk III standard the clip guides were retroactively installed.

I'll get my Lee Enfield book out and do some research on the new proofs shown in your new photos.

Update:

The crown over ER shows that it was "Repair and Conversion" rifle during King Edward's rein.

The crown over the 88 and the E under that probably indicate an inspector's mark at the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield.

My opinion? Unless the bore is pristine and it will be a shooter, I'd pass. The "EY" is not something that I would want on any Enfield unless it was otherwise unmolested. A new rear sight will be easy enough to come by, but in the end that isn't going to fix an old plow horse that's been worked hard and put away wet.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 03-30-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Mold
    Good calls on the stamps, Scharfschuetze. The absence of a charger bridge is normal enough. Some got them during upgrades, some didn't. The rear sight slide would originally have had checkered bone buttons on either side, too bad it's missing. The foresight is interesting. It's not the typical SMLE base, more like one from a long Lee-Enfield, although these really early SMLE's might have used that style, I don't know. It'd take some doing to restore that rifle, since it's a Mk1* and relatively few were made. It'd need the early handguard (the rounded sight ears attached to the h.g.), the fancy sight slide, the early nosecap, cocking piece, etc. More of a collector's project/nightmare than a shooter. Although, if I found that thing for $75....!

Boolit Master

Lots of great info. I am not sure of a full restoration, it will take time and money to find the correct parts. The rifle has a few collectable parts. So think it is a parts gun, or a shooter if safe(EY mark isnt nessesarily a show stopper, but must be inspected before use)
    reguardless it is a piece of history.

Good luck.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience