Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: 358 win bolt action?

358 win bolt action?

Anybody own a .358 Win bolt action? Anyone shoot 10 shot groups? Any accuracy reports from you fellas?

Thanks. Lever guns, including BLRs need not apply. I had one and sent it on it's way.

I custom rebuilt a 600 Remington into a neat little .358 Winchester carbine nearly a year ago. I had Ron Smith out in Alberta rebore the original .308 barrel out to .358 with a gain twist since it will mostly be shot with cast lead boolits and then put it into a Boyds grey pepper laminated thumbhole stock with a 2x7 Leupold. I'm embarrassed to say that I've only had it out to shoot it once so far and fire form some brass with a small variety of both jacketed and cast loads. It's sitting in my gun safe gathering dust and I haven't loaded any more ammo to test in it yet. (I obviously haven't shot it enough to settle on any favorite loads yet.) I really do need to get it out and play with it some more!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	358 win.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	191903 here is a ten shot group at a hundred, the bullet was 200 gn Hornady round nose

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    I custom rebuilt a 600 Remington into a neat little .358 Winchester carbine nearly a year ago. I had Ron Smith out in Alberta rebore the original .308 barrel out to .358 with a gain twist since it will mostly be shot with cast lead boolits and then put it into a Boyds grey pepper laminated thumbhole stock with a 2x7 Leupold. I'm embarrassed to say that I've only had it out to shoot it once so far and fire form some brass with a small variety of both jacketed and cast loads. It's sitting in my gun safe gathering dust and I haven't loaded any more ammo to test in it yet. (I obviously haven't shot it enough to settle on any favorite loads yet.) I really do need to get it out and play with it some more!

That's beautiful.

Who did the checkering? I have seen Boyd's stocks but didn't know they offered checkering.

The checkering is an option through Boyds (laser cut from memory?) and I ordered it that way. Love the thumb hole stock ... I've always wanted to try one and I find this one very comfortable to shoot. I have another 600 Remington that is still in the factory stock that I rebarreled to .17 Remington Improved for varmint shooting and I like this Boyds stock enough that I think I'm going to order another similar stock for that rifle too. I'll likely order the 2nd one in a slightly different colour though just to change things up between the two guns ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Moderator Emeritus

I have an old Western Auto revelation that was rebored by JES. It does just fine with 200 gr RCBS.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    The checkering is an option through Boyds (laser cut from memory?) and I ordered it that way. Love the thumb hole stock ... I've always wanted to try one and I find this one very comfortable to shoot. I have another 600 Remington that is still in the factory stock that I rebarreled to .17 Remington Improved for varmint shooting and I like this Boyds stock enough that I think I'm going to order another similar stock for that rifle too. I'll likely order the 2nd one in a slightly different colour though just to change things up between the two guns ...

Very nice!

Perma-Banned
    Ruger 77s were available in 358 Win.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I have a Vanguard .308 that JES bored to 358 Win ( Bought it from a member here)
    Ten shots 100yds
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	358-009.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	192045
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I wouldn't have a .358 bolt rifle because of their inherent inaccuracy. I've seen it happen. Guy takes a shot at the factory rifles forum with one of those .358s, and it keyholes clear over in "single shot rifles".

Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    I wouldn't have a .358 bolt rifle because of their inherent inaccuracy. I've seen it happen. Guy takes a shot at the factory rifles forum with one of those .358s, and it keyholes clear over in "single shot rifles".

Boolit Buddy

Little Ruger Frontier gives me about 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards, with a 280 grain cast GC running just over 1700 fps. Of course that's with me behind the rifle. Who knows what it would do in the hands of a good shot.

Boolit Master
    JHEATH - that is funny, a good laugh is good every now and then!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Well they arnt a single shot, but the old Rem 788 in 358 Win was a nice rifle with great accuracy... But ive never come across a falling block in one....

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Well they arnt a single shot, but the old Rem 788 in 358 Win was a nice rifle with great accuracy... But ive never come across a falling block in one....
    The 788 was never chambered in .358 Win. Because I would have bought one.

Boolit Master
    Bloke at the range does/did have one.
    Custom barrel fitted.
    He seemed to have trouble with it.
    Case separation.
    Hammer the bolt open....broke bolt handle had to get another.
    Recoil seemed severe with 250 grns cast bullets at 2200 fps.
    Leading issues and then the paint sprayed bullets dried in his kitchen oven.
    Recoil tamer pad for his shoulder and still knocked him about.

Best he could get out of it was about 1 1/2"-2" and at 100yrds.

Don't tell me he don't know what he was doing as he is the numero ono range officer and teachers lessons in reloading.
    And has been casting for more than fifteen years.

OMG.

Sorry had to vent some pent up frustrations.

Don't think it was the gun nor the chambering at fault.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 04-17-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    Bloke at the range does/did have one.
    Custom barrel fitted.
    He seemed to have trouble with it.
    Case separation.
    Hammer the bolt open....broke bolt handle had to get another.
    Recoil seemed severe with 250 grns cast bullets at 2200 fps.
    Leading issues and then the paint sprayed bullets dried in his kitchen oven.
    Recoil tamer pad for his shoulder and still knocked him about.

Best he could get out of it was about 1 1/2"-2" and at 100yrds.

Don't tell me he don't know what he was doing as he is the numero ono range officer and teachers lessons in reloading.
    And has been casting for more than fifteen years.

OMG.

Sorry had to vent some pent up frustrations.

Don't think it was the gun nor the chambering at fault.
    I wouldn't want this bloke giving reloading lessons near me.

I will try a ten shot group with my JES 700 and loads consisting of the 200gr RCBS, 37grs of 3031, lit by Win primers in reformed Hornady .308 brass. And let you know!
    Best, Thomas.

I forgot to shoot ten shots last weekend but I put the 4 in the magazine into 3/4". This weekend was too windy to walk straight so didn't bother shooting. Cold, too!