RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 blackout recipe

Boolit Buddy

300 blackout recipe

I am thinking about getting into 300 blackout. What recipes have members come up with that are consistent and reliable?

110 grain on up?

Comments / recommendation?

Boolit Master
    why not trust a reloading manual?

Boolit Buddy
    I hear but reloading manuals don't give real world experience. I am just trying to tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience of this forum. Why reinvent the wheel with a resource like this at your fingertips.

Boolit Master
    If you want to "tap into the wealth" you might want to consider letting us know what platform you are considering, if you plan to cast for the cartridge and maybe whether or not you plan to go full tilt or fiddle with subsonic loads.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Here I can help you. 300 BO is pretty hard to screw up.
    At least for supersonic 150gr cast and 125gr jacketed for an AR15. Try H110, 296, RL-7 or any comparable burn rate powder.
    Any usable load for that bullet weight is going to be 90% fill or above. So your not going to over charge it.
    Usually in that powder range you will be 16 to 17.5 gr loads. Start low and work up to the one that works best.

Cant help with subsonic loads and there is a danger with the use of big heavy fat bullets and a fast pistol class powders.
    You can over charge those so be careful.Start with the easy ones and learn your way up.

Banned

knock it off.
    he just asked a question.
    being a Dick about it ain't helping.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post
    Here I can help you. 300 BO is pretty hard to screw up.
    At least for supersonic 150gr cast and 125gr jacketed for an AR15. Try H110, 296, RL-7 or any comparable burn rate powder.
    Any usable load for that bullet weight is going to be 90% fill or above. So your not going to over charge it.
    Usually in that powder range you will be 16 to 17.5 gr loads. Start low and work up to the one that works best.

Cant help with subsonic loads and there is a danger with the use of big heavy fat bullets and a fast pistol class powders.
    You can over charge those so be careful.Start with the easy ones and learn your way up.
    You used which reloading manual for that?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    knock it off.
    he just asked a question.
    being a Dick about it ain't helping.

He's NOT lazy? Him insulting my wife makes ME the dick?

Boolit Mold
    As far as heavy subsonics goes, it's quite difficult to overcharge when using appropriate powder. The case capacity is so heavily reduced by the bullet's massive size. In the case of many of the heavy bullets, the bullet is longer than the case itself, leaving very little internal volume.

Hodgdon listed my current loading with 4227 as having a max load (to remain subsonic) as 9.8. It only generates 25,800 psi, well below max. But beware, as case capacity opens up with the lighter bullets, it becomes increasingly easier to overcharge.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by scottfire1957 View Post
    He's NOT lazy? Him insulting my wife makes ME the dick?
    Hes not being entirely lazy. Manuals rarely have data for cast boolits in this caliber.

That said, you're both acting immature.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Naporter View Post
    Hes not being entirely lazy. Manuals rarely have data for cast boolits in this caliber.

Nananana boo boo

Boolit Buddy

You are correct sir. I digress. Thanks to everyone who actually contributed. I am just looking for input as to what loads have worked for some and what loads haven't. I am researching this round and trying to decide if it is going to be worth the money to invest in. Thanks again.

Banned

IMO.
    in a bolt gun it is a neat little round, that is easy to work with and is very flexible.
    in a semi-auto you need to do some homework on gas tube length and become limited somewhat in what you can do.
    I have a couple of the bolt gun versions and work with a wide variety of bullets and boolits.
    I size the 98gr rnfp from rcbs down to .310 for a light pop load, I load the Hornady V-max and the sierra 110's as well as the nosler varmageddon up into the 2400 fps area for varmint hunting.
    I use the 311358, the rcbs 165 gr. silhouette, the ACE 140, Hornady 200's, the LEE 230 gr.,
    and have tinkered with a few others, with more to come. [ I need a 130gr jacketed for close in deer hunting] and have used all kinds of powders from 700-X up through H-110
    I have a nice 180gr hollow-point I make from 5.7 brass that will probably see some range time eventually.

for the AR rifles I have only worked on 2 loads, one sonic and one subsonic, so I'm a little limited with them.

Boolit Mold
    I've played with it in a short barreled AR (10.5 in) and you should be aware that it excels in short barrels. Even a 16" is more than is necessary. The 110 Varmegeddon R5R mentioned does well in my rifle with 19.8 grains of H110 in converted cases and CCI SRM primer. The SRM helps powder burn rate and does well to ensure consistency in the short barrel. This loading is a tack driver in my rifle with that little bullet flying out at just over 2200 fps. The only problem is that dirty powder gums up the action pretty badly.

Boolit Buddy
    I've played with it in a short barreled AR (10.5 in) and you should be aware that it excels in short barrels. Even a 16" is more than is necessary. The 110 Varmegeddon R5R mentioned does well in my rifle with 19.8 grains of H110 in converted cases and CCI SRM primer. The SRM helps powder burn rate and does well to ensure consistency in the short barrel. This loading is a tack driver in my rifle with that little bullet flying out at just over 2200 fps. The only problem is that dirty powder gums up the action pretty badly.
    I would like something in that range to at least come close to 7.62 x39 performance. I have a line on a 10.5 barrel. Subs I was thinking 200 grain. I hate to give up weight savings of 223 but like the 30 cal round.

Boolit Master
    I can tell you this...it is a fun caliber to load for....lots of options. I experiment with this load more than any other I have. 110 nosler Varmegeddon is an excellent bullet....I have a fun sub with it but bolt gun only. The main issue with the AR platform and cast is the bullet needs to be pointed to cycle reliability, so if casting look at 762x39 molds or similar.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    I have a Lee 230 mold and an NOE 247. The first is pointed but the latter has a 0.2" meplat and cycles fine. I've got Maker 200 expanding subsonics working reliably too, and they have a meplat that's only slightly smaller. It's a good bullet by the way, but pricey at $0.84 each.

Banned

I'm using AA-4100 under the varmageddon it's prettydarnclose to 2400.
    I'd maybe look at it for the AR's if H-110 is burning a bit dirty.
    under the 100-165 cast I'm using Data-9 [aa#9] powder.

when I done the load work ups for the AR [180-208 jacketed] I used 4227, I never did 'look to see' if it would work with the lighter stuff.

I am on my third AR BO, 2 carbinesa and a 10" pistol. The pistol is 1:8 with pistol gasd, not sure I really need it as I don't shoot subs. My favorite is the 18" 1:10 carbine that runs a 145gr DFP PB @ 2100. Plenty for deer, pig or paper. I gave the 1:7 16" carbine to SIL, he uses UMC 120gr. Been playing with 170 PB & 185gr GC RD style in the pistol, ~1600 fps & up. Last 2 moulds were for 30/30 where they work good. BO is cheap and fun to shoot. GS really likes the BO but I think he played with it and had to get some one to fix it. Daughter likes the supresssed 223 better.
    Attachment 191911Attachment 191912
    Whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast