Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 colt ruger load info

Boolit Buddy

45 colt ruger load info

the question.

I have a Ruger 45 Colt, I would like to load some of my 250gr cast bullets with. I have lots of MP-300 but cannot find any load data!

Ok I found ONE load data set. I like to compare a couple of load data sets to get an idea of how it goes.

does anyone else use MP-300? or H110 or W296 in their 45 colt ruger?

where did you get your starting data?
    Last edited by BigMagShooter; 03-28-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

There is lots of data available for H110/W296 in the TC/Ruger Only sections of the load manuals. BUT..

That data is ONLY for the large framed Blackhawk, original Vaquero, Redhawk, and Super Blackhawk. It is NOT SAFE in a medium framed Ruger so if yours starts with a TWO digit prefix in the serial number, it is a large frame model and safe with the Ruger Only load.

If yours has a THREE digit prefix in the serial number, it is a medium framed Ruger and only safe with 45 ACP+P pressures of 23,000psi.

H110 and W296 are the same powder, made in the same plant, one is labeled for Winchester, the other is labeled for Hodgdon. The only differences in the two are variances from lot to lot. I do not thing mp300 is the same powder and it probably should not be loaded as if it is H110 or W296.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-26-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I do NOT think they are the same powder. Data calls for standard primers for mp-300. Everyone specs magnums for H110/W296.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/310/3...7_Apr_2012.pdf

Boolit Buddy

here is what I found that gave me an idea they were all the same.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for the heads up Douguy, but I know my Rugers. This will handle the Ruger only loads as that is why I got it.

douguy, maybe I'm blind, I'll look again, but the last 3 manuals I looked at for 45 colt ruger only loads didn't have any load data for H110, or W296. What book are you referring to ? I may have it and haven't looked at it yet or maybe I could find it on line.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigMagShooter View Post

I'd have to hear it from someone at Alliant or Hodgdon to believe it.

Boolit Buddy
    so you only believe what you hear from the manufacturer?

ok, I believe you.

Boolit Master

FWIW here's hodgdon's own load data for the .45. Includes H110/W296:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    That says W296 and H110 are the same. The 300-MP is in a separate sentence.

The Hodgdon website has load data for Ruger +P loads using H110/W296.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks, I don't have a nosler reloading book and the website will be quite helpful!

thank you!

Boolit Master

so you only believe what you hear from the manufacturer?

ok, I believe you.
    I think the article meant that H110/W296 were the same powder, not 300-mp.

Boolit Buddy
    that article seems tricky to read doesn't it. I'm confused.

I'm still having a hard time finding any load data on mp-300 for a 45 colt.

Boolit Buddy
    sent Alliant an email asking about 45 colt loads for MP-300, I'll let you know what they say.

Boolit Master

sent Alliant an email asking about 45 colt loads for MP-300, I'll let you know what they say.
    I'd be interested in that data myself. I was in a store yesterday and I think they had some on the shelf. I was looking for rifle powders and didn't pay much attention, but it seems like there was some there.

Boolit Buddy
    I scored an 8lb jug for cheap! so now I want to use it.

lots of good info for 357 mag loads...

Boolit Master
    I scored an 8lb jug for cheap! so now I want to use it.

lots of good info for 357 mag loads...
    Do as you please and what you feel safe with. I have seen a lot of powders pressed into use because it was cheap or that was all that can be found.
    I bought some 4100, try and find any data for that to speak of.
    Lot does take a LOT of time to put a manual together, but a lot less than years ago.

Boolit Master

I read that as saying 110/296 were THE powders to use for "top velocities" now the 300 MP must be added to give top velocity as well. It says nothing indicating load data is interchangeable.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

MP 300 (as is Lil Gun) is made with less flame inhibitors than H110/296. Will ignite more readily at lower pressures therefore. Where it really differs is in loads with very heavy boolits - it delivers more velocity because it has a slower pressure curve and doesn't go critical in those situations as readily as H110/296.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Perma-Banned
    During a visit to the Olin powder factory years ago, I learned that W296 and H110 were the same powder. The information was later included in an article on handloading the .44 Magnum. I went on to say that any chamber pressure/velocity differences between the two are due to slight burn rate variations from one manufacturing lot to the next. That explained differing maximum charge weights published for the two powders in various reloading manuals for .44 Magnum loads.
    That was back in the days when people wrote letters, and a reader took me to task for my statement. In an attempt to prove me wrong, he contacted Hodgdon and Winchester. Of course, representatives from both companies did not give him the answer he was searching for. They refused to comment simply because in those days they were competitors.
    Now that both powders are under the Hodgdon umbrella, Reiber willingly confirms that W296 and H110 are indeed the same powder. If the guy who wrote that nasty letter about three decades ago is still capable of reading small print and has a copy of Hodgdon’s latest Annual Manual, he may see that listed charge weights, velocities and pressures for the two powders are identical.

Read more: http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloadi...#ixzz4cVwdz9t6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast