RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uh oh.........major Alox problem

I think I should go and check out the 1/2 gal can that I have not opened in a few years I might have the same problem. but after reading this thread I now know how to fix it thanks everyone for the help . D Crockett

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    The msds is very clear, no guessing needed, I've actually read it it, many here answering may not have.
    From SDS linked from Lee liquid Alox web page... "LPA-142 Solvent -Paraffinic Naphthenic Solvent". This is closer to mineral spirits than white gas. Made by Sasol chemicals. I worked for the parent company Sasol/Polyfin for years as a chemical engineer. For even further evidence look at the uses list, paints and coatings yes, but no mention of fuel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTech View Post
    From SDS linked from Lee liquid Alox web page... "LPA-142 Solvent -Paraffinic Naphthenic Solvent". This is closer to mineral spirits than white gas. Made by Sasol chemicals. I worked for the parent company Sasol/Polyfin for years as a chemical engineer. For even further evidence look at the uses list, paints and coatings yes, but no mention of fuel.

But, is LPA 142 closer to Naptha, or Mineral Spirits ?

Next batch of anything I mix up, I'm going to try Naptha.

Boolit Master

I see there are quite a few versions of that msds floating around.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    But, is LPA 142 closer to Naptha, or Mineral Spirits ?

Next batch of anything I mix up, I'm going to try Naptha.
    He said it's closer to mineral spirits in his post. Naphtha, white gas, is highly flammable. Mineral spirits are definitely easier to work w/.

Boolit Master
    Midway sells solvent proof bottles. Three a decent price, at least when I bought them. I used one for Hoppes #9 because they are a bit thicker and won't crack if you drop it. I seldom use LLA anymore, as I prefer JPW....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Naphtha or white gass is what they use in zippo lighters. We also used naphtha in body shops to clean cars before painting to remove wax grease sylicone and other oils. They had two types a winter or cold weather cleaner that dried faster and a summer one that dried slower. If you used the winter one in summer it would dry almost imeadetly. The summer one smelled more like mineral spirits and the cold weather one smelled more like zippo lighter fluid naphtha. Naphtha is flammable but not like gasoline is. Just be carful with it

Boolit Master

If you look at light aromatic hydrocarbons, these chemicals are actually a range of molecules with fraction boiling points in a range, and identified by number of carbon atoms.

For instance.. Light vs heavy naphtha ..heavy is higher Bp, more carbon.. Etc.

Boolit Master

Naptha and white gas are not the same. They smell different.
    They have different meds sheets.

Boolit Buddy
    Aww, naptha ain't THAT dangerous.

Sure it lights easy, very, very easily. But one of our stupidest Jr. High tricks was to dribble a bunch of Ronson (?) lighter fluid on our hand and light it up. Nice visible flame, slight resistance to being waved around in the breeze...

Just get the flame out before the evaporative cooling stops protecting your skin!

Quantity is key...

NO, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS! Some of us are truly lucky to still be alive.

BTW, they are now AFAIK officially called "Safety Data Sheets" but few businesses got the memo. Guess the word "Material" is sorta obvious? But it's one of the few moves I have EVER seen towards fewer words.

Yes light naptha was used in zippo type lighters. That stuff will evaporate readily.

Charcoal lighter fluid is also naptha, of a heavier grade, does not evaporate nearly as well.

But the right mix of the charcoal lighter fluid and alcohol would let a zippo fire up. Although it did tend to smoke more.

For getting a bunch of alox loosened up either would probably do. Pour some in the container, add a couple of large caliber cast boolits. Let sit for a while then start shaking.

Boolit Grand Master

Is there a specific name for the "light naphtha" used for lighter fluid? VMP Naptha was always available where I worked, and everybody's Zippo used it for fuel, but It did smoke worse and had more smell. I have had ocassion since then to need a gal. or so, but in the lighter fluid cans it's pricy, and I no longer have a wholesale source.
    Last edited by mold maker; 08-06-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12