Reloading EverythingRepackboxPBcastcoLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh.........major Alox problem

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

Angry Uh oh.........major Alox problem

It's a major problem because it's an almost FULL quart container of Alox that's been sitting for about three years. I used a tiny amount in my initial experiments back then and carefully resealed the bottle, but now it looks to be solid!

Did I just cost myself a full bottle or is there a way to thin it back down with something like turpentine? A quart is an awful lot to throw out................

Boolit Master

Heat it up, should be fine, I once to save room put a few of the small bottles into a larger bottle and after using it I didn't put the screw top lid back on; put it into a pot of near boiling water for about 3 mins and was back in business!

Perma-Banned

When I used it...I would microwave for a few seconds...check and do more, until it would pour...normally took about 30 seconds.

Boolit Master

Boil water in a pot big enough to put the ALOX container into. Once the water is boiling SHUT OFF the stove. Remove the cover on the ALOX and place the ALOX Bottle in the pot. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so. When it has softened up add some Odorless Mineral Spirits to it to thin it out, this replaces the solvents that evaporated out of the jug. Once it is in a pourable condition, pour it off into canning jars with screw top lids, this will prevent a repeat of this situation down the road.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone. I wouldn't have been upset, except it's still a BRAND NEW bottle!

Lesson learned: separate into smaller containers and keep any air out it. I wonder if storing it in zip lock bags might work? That way, any air could be exhausted before sealing. The bags could be stored in a larger, solid container in case of spills. Bears looking into.........

Boolit Master
    The solvent will eventually diffuse through almost any common plastic container. Putting it in glass works, but so does the warm water dunk or microwave. And you can't squeeze glass...

I've just taken to dripping some mineral spirits onto the top of the lump and swishing it wround until it dissolves enough alox to reach the desired viscosity. Why fight it?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master

IF you put it in the micro wave , for goodness sake put it in a dish that can hold the alox in case the bottle splits. I would gently heat it...gently , double boiler or microwave.
    Don't put it on high, in a 1500 watt unit for 10 minutes and walk away. You can thin it with mineral spirits , use odorless, and store in plastic bottles that mineral spirits come in. That type plastic will resist the mineral spirits. Or put it in a metal can with a screw on top , I get mine from House of Cans , inc.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Super Moderator

I once put a bottle of LLA in the microwave, with the top off. It spouted and caught fire like a volcano. I don't recommend putting it in the microwave! Now I just microwave a large coffee cup 2/3 full of water until boiling, and immerse the bottle in the cup after taking it out of the microwave. Works perfectly.

Boolit Master
    Microwaving is best done in 10-15 second increments with liberal agitation between heatings.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Thanks everyone. I wouldn't have been upset, except it's still a BRAND NEW bottle!

Lesson learned: separate into smaller containers and keep any air out it. I wonder if storing it in zip lock bags might work? That way, any air could be exhausted before sealing. The bags could be stored in a larger, solid container in case of spills. Bears looking into.........
    As Elkins45 has said, think "SOLVENT-PROOF" containers, not "AIR-PROOF". That's why I suggested the canning jars. Not the quart size, just the little half-pint jelly jars, they're the perfect size!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Thank you for the clarification........just so happens that I have some little glass baby food jars that ought to do the trick.

Boolit Master

remember.. once you get it softened by heat, the original solvent was naptha, not mineral spirits.

may be why some of you complain about gummy non drying alox...

Naptha flashes off way, way faster.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    remember.. once you get it softened by heat, the original solvent was naptha, not mineral spirits.

may be why some of you complain about gummy non drying alox...

Naptha flashes off way, way faster.
    Excellent point, Soundguy! Odorless mineral spirits was probably chosen for this purpose because it is somewhat less hazardous to work with. If you're careful, there's no reason you can't use naphtha instead.

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    mineral spirits is also called solvent naphtha and isn't the same as naphtha or white gas.

Boolit Master

The msds is very clear, no guessing needed, I've actually read it it, many here answering may not have.

Boolit Master
    Very good of you to post this. Thank you, it's information like this that helps so many of us in this hobby.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    The msds is very clear, no guessing needed, I've actually read it it, many here answering may not have.
    Nope I have not messed with naptha before. Is the kleen-strip brand that home depot carries the same? I usually have mineral spirits on hand either way so it's not that big a deal to add another qt to the stockpile.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

I'm not familiar with that brand, however somewhere on the can should be its ingredient list, and/ or a address you can download a MSDS for.

Is Denatured Alcohol like naphtha or white gas ? The reason I ask is that I have a quart can of Denatured Alcohol.
    Last edited by SharuLady; 07-27-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Adding more

Boolit Master

Denatured alcohol is simply ethanol that has been treated , bitered, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast