MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication PBcastco

Thread: 45LC Shotloads from 460 S&W Mag brass

In Remembrance

45LC Shotloads from 460 S&W Mag brass

This is another project I just got completed. These are made from 460 S&W Mag brass trimmed down to 1.620.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0600.jpg 
Views:	993 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	191810

Once I put in the primer, I'm pretty much going with standard data only I reduced the charge from 7.5 published data down to 7gr and according to the tester the ones he used worked just fine. For these I'm using an Aluminum 41cal gas check as an over-powder wad, and adding 200gr of #8 shot which is a 30% increase in payload compared to the factory offerings. When I got back the cases from my tester the power ring only expanded .001 from it's original size when he got them. So what that tells me is the pressures generated from my loads are real low so the 7gr of Unique is fine.

I used the same ole Notching die as I did with the 38/357 from the previous thread, and used a 40/10mm carbide sizer to size down the end of the case for clearance. I used a 44Mag sizer at first but it was just a bit to close in size of the forcing cone, so I went with a 40cal sizer which worked fine.

Again: these are intended to be used 1x because the notching creates a weak spot and the brass does split. The only way around the splitting issue is to make an over-shot card and roll crimp.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 03-26-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master

Like them! Problem is only have .45 Colt brass. Broke down and bought some#4 shot CCIs. Going to try them out on treerats.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    I wish I could find some around here that have bigger than #9 shot. #6 would be ideal for my use. A Judge or Governor would be ideal. But I don't really want either. I like using my Bisley Convertible as my squirrel gun
    You are being watched.

Boolit Bub
    Just throwing this out there, but in testing shot with a 45 Colt revolver, the best pattern I got was using 410 shells. Something about the shot cup in a revolver just worked and tightened patterns up significantly. I think the plastic acted like a buffer and kept the shot from spinning wild from the rifling.

I cut the end off, poured out the shot, removed the cup and emptied the powder, etc. Trimmed the shell so it just would fit the cylinder shy of the throat. Used 8gr Unique and filled the shot cup up with the same shot (9 I believe). Cardboard over the shot with a dab of glue to seal. Roll crimp. I still have a few in a drawer.

I never got around to seeing if a 410 cup would slide in a 45 or 460 case. I'm out of 410 to experiment with.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Cold Trigger Finger;4154379]I wish I could find some around here that have bigger than #9 shot. #6 would be ideal for my use. i have #9, #8 and 7-1/2. the #8 seems to work well from my ruger 44 sbh

Boolit Mold
    Why crimp? Use a cardboard wad and seal it with wax. I have made cylinder length shotshells for 45 Colt with 308 brass.It will headspace on the shoulder created when you neck down the part that fits up into the throat of the chamber. You can use these over and over again.

Boolit Master
    chuck curry. you should read thru all the different threads on this subject. 100's of different methods.

I had some 454 brass left over after the sale of my last 454 revolver. As made, it wouldn't chamber in the 45 Colt, but I sized about 1/2" in a 44 Spl die, then dropped in some powder, and over powder card, about 200 grains of #8 shot, then an over shot card and then sealed with glue. Perforates paper real well, just need some snakes or rats to test it out.

Oh, this was old Freedom Arms brass and I lost one as it split when I sized the end to 44 caliber... so I annealed the remaining brass and all went smoothly.

Boolit Buddy
    For someone coming across this thread: The rim thickness and diameter of 460 S&W brass is slightly different from 45 Colt.
    Thickness is .060 vs .059 and diameter of .520 vs .512 (in inches.) To fit in my 10 inch Thompson Contender 45 Colt barrel
    (which has a recess cut for the rim) they will not fit as is and therefore the rim will have to be reduced in size.

This may not be a problem with revolvers.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I did a few cut down 410 and shouldered 308s along with 303 and 30-40 Krag cases from a brass 410 project long ago .

To be sure a real 410 wad results in a far more enthusiastic load than paper wadding . For the plastic cases I cut them flush with the cylinder mouth and created star crimp . Worked well enough on all counts to about 20 ft or so , might have been ok for large grouse to 20 yd or so . Quick draw quail would have to just be really unlucky to fall to them . Never had a snake to try them on .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .