Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 30/06 M64 Training Round?

Boolit Bub

30/06 M64 Training Round?

I accidently came into ownership of some of this ammo. Box is marked: .30 SEC PLASTIC M64. Date code is Lot 1 ASM 69. Headstamped F N 62. Ammo is brass cased 30/06 with an opaque plastic round nose bullet shaped somewhat like a 110 gr. plinker round. They come in blue 10 rd boxes and 7 of the boxes are still sealed. I have never seen them before and was wondering about collectibility/value or should I just go shot them up?? Thanks

Boolit Master

Don't think these were ever US issue. They are NOT blanks, they are short range rounds.
    When fired, the bullet portion breaks away and is deadly at close range but the range is limited due to the very light weight of the projectile. Not rare, usually seen as German surplus.

Boolit Master
    If these are the ones I'm thinking off they have the striking power of a .357 or there abouts. The plastic bullet does not have much penetration power but it will shoot through the fender or door of a car.
    I've read that they considered using these for close quarter fighting in buildings where over penetration would endanger friendlies.

Years ago when the US raided an Iraqi hospital to free a female POW they fired what the press described as blanks to cow the guards and hospital personel. But the photos of a hole in a wall looked like it may have been made with one of these plastic projectiles.

I've seen a similar East German 7.62X39 round intended for use by guards at airports and in government office buildings. The projectile is an aluminum shell filled with plastic of some sort.
    It would cycle an AK or SKS but would not penetrate a sturdy wooden office door or desk. At close range it was devastatingly lethal against in armored flesh.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have some of those X39 rounds as well as some of the German blue plastic training rounds in 308 (brass case head)

Boolit Master
    If you shoot them, it would be prudent to assume they're corrosively primed and clean your rifle accordingly.

Boolit Master
    one of the mail catalogs has them some times the one that has the odd stuff like exploding targets and blue tip ammo .
    the 06 may be a little odd as most i saw was 308