RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How I recondition Lyman 45 Sizers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    If you are talking the same broken press, a die setscrew or die setscrew hole won't be needed for sizing "lubeless" bullets, as there will only be downward pressure.
    Two different bases

Banned
    Rust Remover
    “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils.
    the torque required to loosen them.
    Nothing: 516 lbs
    WD-40: 238 lbs;
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    When the threaded hole for the set screw which holds the die in place breaks, what can it be used for?
    If you are talking the same broken press, a die setscrew or die setscrew hole won't be needed for sizing "lubeless" bullets, as there will only be downward pressure.
    Two different bases
    Oh, well if the base is cracked from the setscrew to the opening where the die inserts, then it's probably a death sentence. A talented welder/machinist could probably do some fancy TIG welding with nickel rod, since that is some old and probably higher quality cast Iron, it may take to welding better than most. Then drill and tap for a new setscrew. Now since I said all that, the same could be possible for the other press with the broken angle/depth stop area.

The problem would be the cost, unless you have a talented friend, where you could call in a favor??? ...because a established machine shop that is capable of such work, would charge more than what a couple functional Lyman 45's are worth.

PS, I should have added, the crack/break near the Die opening can change the alignment...So that would have to be fixed, even if it ends up being used as a "lubeless" sizer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Oh, well if the base is cracked from the setscrew to the opening where the die inserts, then it's probably a death sentence. A talented welder/machinist could probably do some fancy TIG welding with nickel rod, since that is some old and probably higher quality cast Iron, it may take to welding better than most. Then drill and tap for a new setscrew. Now since I said all that, the same could be possible for the other press with the broken angle/depth stop area.

The problem would be the cost, unless you have a talented friend, where you could call in a favor??? ...because a established machine shop that is capable of such work, would charge more than what a couple functional Lyman 45's are worth.

PS, I should have added, the crack/break near the Die opening can change the alignment...So that would have to be fixed, even if it ends up being used as a "lubeless" sizer.
    I don't believe it is cracked through to the sizing die. I'm kind of surprised no one has inquired about snatching one of the damaged ones to size powder coated boolits.
    Last edited by BrassMagnet; 07-21-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added Bold!

Boolit Master

I don't believe it is cracked through to the sizing die. I'm kind of surprised no one has inquired about snatching one of the damaged ones to size powder coated boolits.
    I don't believe it is cracked through to the sizing die. I'm kind of surprised no one has inquired about snatching one of the damaged ones to size powder coated boolits. No interest in a Dry Lyman 45 to size powder coated boolits?

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I doubt folks many folks are seeing this. S&S or Helping Hands?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12