Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
PBcastcoLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some pics of my 1893 Marlin in 38-55

Super Moderator

Some pics of my 1893 Marlin in 38-55

.........I bought this out of an add in the Shotgun News many years ago and it came from upstate New York. It had an old OLD straight tube Leupold scope on it. It had a post and wire rectical and was a fixed low magnification. The scope's in a box in the shop or I'd go check . It doesn't have any adjustment knobs for windage and elevation. Instead it has 2 rings back by the eyepiece. I think the tube is brass as there are a couple places worn in the crinkle black paint that show brass.

There is still some color casehardening here and there in protected places on the lever, the bolt, trigger, hammer, and upper and lower tangs. The bore is sharp and clean. It had obviously been used, as most all the finish at the front of the reciever is worn where a person would wrap their hand around it. The wood is in excellent condition. It was well cared for.

The groove is .379" but it will take a .381" slug seated in the case so that's what I size'm too. My favorite load in it is the 225gr tapered Saeco FNPB with a cardwad over 16.0 grs of 2400. It's a fine shooting rifle, and one of the nicer ones I own.

...................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Thumbs up Beautiful!

Moderator Emeritus

Thumbs up

Buckshot; now you have made me extremely jellious.

I seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when these things surface.

John.

I`m guessing your older Leupold was the Pioneer model from the late 40`s, early 50`s. (I have one here in 2.5X) I`d assume in was secured by Leupold`s Adjusto Mounts and pivot rings with numbered bases?
    Man, what a beautiful half-magazine Marlin.
    From my neck of the woods no less...
    "I know what your thinking, did he fire six shots, or only five..."

Boolit Master
    Excellent rifle Buckshot !!!!
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Super 1893's

Bigjohn,and others interested.. see Gunbroker #'s 61719227,and 61431231, and buy your own Christmas present thiis year..!! I doubt you will ever find a better 30/30 outside a museum,and the 25/36 would do me . BUT, Buckshot's rifle takes it for caliber anbd configuration,and the Turnbull treatment could have loking as good as those two,(If it matters) Whichever you get, ENJOY.. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Buckshot, beautiful, especially with that elegant half octagon barrel. Thought about you at the range today. I was shooting my 1891 Argentine 29" rifle and concentrating on a good offhand position. I reminded myself to snug up my off hand against that "rakish" magazine. One point about the external magazine, it allows the fore stock to be the slimmest of all the Mausers.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master

38-55

Nice!!!!

Let me know when you're going to take it to the range, I'd like to see that one.

Jon

Boolit Master

That is one sweat looking rifle. How was the scope mounted on the rifle?
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Dang Buckshot, you got me coveting and lusting! That's a mighty fine Marlin, congratulations! I'd love to have one like that. -JDL

Banned

I want one..

Super Moderator

...........Thanks for all the nice reponses! I think it is kind of special myself, but back in the day the gunmakers were willing to please. You could order one just about any old way you wanted. I am partial to the flatbolt Marlins over the M36/336 types, so that means 'old ones' if in rifle calibers.

.............For those curious about the scope and it's mounting, I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow and post them here. It's a nice old piece of glass, but I don't really 'do' scopes so it came off and the tangsight went on.

I checked out those 2 Marlins at Gunbroker and the colorcase on them was just wonderfull. Amazing to think it was just an everyday deal back then. That round barrel carbine in 30-30 is highly desireable. I'd be proud to own something like that. Especially in that condition.

Jon K, we're shooting ML'ers for the Burrito Shoot next Tuesday but I'll bring the Marlin for some side shooting.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

That's a sweet looking old lever action you got there.

Super Moderator

..............Here's 3 photo's of the old Leupold scope. It's a 2.4 power. Just not quite 2 and a half .

It has a 7/8" tube, and it has common old Weaver rings and base. The scope is in excellent working condition. Just some worn paint or whatever it is.

The adjusting rings. They're on the end of the scope farthest away. One for windage and one for elevation.

Don't know why I bothered with this photo, as you cant see squat. However the scope is bright and clear. No problems with the optics or anything.

..................Buckshot

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Leupold are supposed to have a lifetime warranty, send it in to them

Niceeeeee rifle by the way.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

If I ever become a rich man, I'm gonna collect those Marlins. Whatdaya think your's is worth Rick?

Hey Mick-

Friend of mine from down under left a message last night and said there's some firestorms going on down there?
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 12-08-2006 at 12:50 PM.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    If I ever become a rich man, I'm gonna collect those Marlins. Whatdaya think your's is worth Rick?

Hey Mick-

Friend of mine from down under left a message last night and said there's some firestorms going on down there?
    I don't know what it's worth now. I don't really follow that stuff. I paid $475 for it about 9-10 years ago. It was before SASS got so big !

Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Buckshot........I just picked up an 1893 Marlin in 38-55 with an octagon barrel and the crescent buttplate. Built in 1899. Bore is excellent as well.

The question I have is regarding brass length. Do I use the 2.13" or the 2.08" brass? Both are listed by Starline. I always thought the Marlin and Ballard took the shorter brass, not the original Winchester length. I am casting the 375248 Lyman for this load.

Enlighten me on my new purchase.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1893 Marlin .38-55a.jpga.jpg   1893 Marlin .38-55c.jpg  
    So many toys........so little time.

Boolit Master

38-55s

Very nice rifles!
    Quite a marketing war went on between Marlin/Ballard and Win when the 38-55 came out. The case length wasn't standardized until way, way later. After reading the H&R thread I bet you would trade that ratty old 38-55 for a brand spanking new, finely machined, expertly fitted and finished, tack driving, 38-55 Handi Rifle

A couple of years ago a friend handed me the small cousin to the Marlin 93 an 1889 in 44-40. I was supposed to take it all the way down, fix anything broken and ensure it could be safely fired. I think it hadn't been cleaned in at least a hundred years! The important part of the story is that after completely tearing down, cleaning, fixing and re-assembling I gained a lot of respect for the excellent workmanship of that vintage of Marlin !!!

Boolit Master
    Buckshot, that is a very nice rifle indeed, and in one of my favourite calibers, too! It has a perfect groove diameter as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast