WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
PBcastco Reloading Everything

Thread: Just got my 'new' classic Winchester

Boolit Master

Just got my 'new' classic Winchester

Well fellows, I've had a hankerin' for an original Winchester Model 65 Winchester for more than 13 years. When I saw this one in 32 WCF (32-20) come up for auction, I put in a bid and won it. Since money doesn't grow on trees, unlike what my kids think, I had to sell my original 1892 32-20 to help fund this new purchase. Men, she's a beauty. The serial number puts the date of this little rifle at probably 1941 or 1942. The Model 65 was the final variation of the Model 1892 action. It is very rare, with only a total of 5,717 made. The calibers were 25-20, 32-20 and 218 Bee. The 218 Bee is the most common and the 32-20 is the rarest, with only 1,277 ever made. In my opinion, the little Model 65 is described by 'light' and 'elegant'. When I lifted it out of its case two days ago, I was thrilled. It is a beauty and photos simply do not do it justice. The 32-20 cartridge is my favourite small game cartridge. Original loads put a 115 grain bullet out the barrel at 1,225 fps. Today's factory loads are slightly slower. Winchester also put out a High Velocity load for the Model 92, 53 and 65 that sent a 115 grain bullet out the barrel at 1,635 fps. I'll be developing my own loads using a 90 grain cast bullet (might be from a RCBS mould). I haven't had the time to take a nice desktop photo yet, and probably won't until the fall, but here are a couple snapshots I took today. I sized them down a tad for those with slow connections ...

Winchester Model 65, 32-20, made in the 1940's

Down by the Alfalfa field where the Woodchucks hide

Boolit Buddy
    :-d:-d:-d Sweet !!

Boolit Master

I see that gun, and just want to hug it! Way to go, KirkD!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned
    That's a REAL DANDY!! Wish it were mine............

Boolit Master
    Way to go Kirk.....................BTW, that's how I fund any new gun, something...... gets sold. Retirement means learning to live on less, but..........that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Perma - Banned

Outstanding! Way out of my league price wise I'm sure, but glad to know one of the brothers has it.

BTW- Is that your field? Looks like my back yard. Where are you located?

Boolit Master
    Bret, that's the edge of my Alfalfa field out behind my house. I'm located in west-central Ontario, Canada.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice rifle!

Perma - Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KirkD View Post
    Bret, that's the edge of my Alfalfa field out behind my house. I'm located in west-central Ontario, Canada.
    Aha! I'm about 60 miles south of Ottawa on the US side. Howdy neighbor!

Boolit Master
    Most excellent Kirk!! A lovely rifle that makes me green with envy. Way to go.
    JDL

Boolit Master
    You're not so far away as I thought, Bret. I'm often on the west side of NY state, south of Lake Ontario, were some of my relatives live, but I've never been in your neck of the woods (except on the Canadian side, Kingston, etc.

Super Moderator

.............A very tidy, handy looking rifle. Looks like it was well taken care of.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Nice. Very Nice!!! : )

Boolit Master

Kirk,

I think you need a 3118 (or the new number 311008) ideal mould for that little rifle. I think you would be impressed with it also. But he 98 grain RCBS will be a good ne to try also.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    Kirk,

I think you need a 3118 (or the new number 311008) ideal mould for that little rifle. I think you would be impressed with it also. But he 98 grain RCBS will be a good ne to try also.
    I've been thinking about what mould to get for it. My understanding is that the 311008 has the crimp groove too far back to feed in a '92/53/65 action unless I seat it deep, where it would have been with blackpowder loads. I really do like the 115 grains vs the 90 grains, however.

Boolit Master

What a STOCK!!! Very nice indeed. Congrats!