Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 30-30/Red Dot

30-30/Red Dot

I 've loaded a handful of NOE 170(176grs) plain base with 7.1grs Red Dot(1.0cc Lee dipper) for my 30-30 to try today. Does anyone like RD for this? These are my first cast loads to try in my just completed 1926 Oviedo Mauser 30-30.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Bub
    Sorry, no I haven't tried it but I'm interested in how it works out for you. I just acquired my first 30-30 and have a good supply of red dot

I like Red Dot, and have used it in the 30/30. Can't remember the exact load, but it was close to yours, amd I'll dig it out later when I get a minute. I have tried it with and without a Dacron filler, and can't see much difference. I was using a Marlin 336, you should get great accuracy with your Mauser.

Keep us posted.

Just checked, it was 6.5 grains.
    Last edited by scattershot; 03-26-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I havne't got my loading data with me - it's back in MI - but I use Red Dot in 30/30 and it does well for me. I have played with a 150 ish grain plain base as well as a 170 ish - as well as both with GC and if I remember correctly, my load was just under yours. Out of a Winchester Ranger 30/30 and my old Marlin 336SC they shot pretty well. I was limited to 50 yards and was working on the loads prior to coming to AZ for the winter.

Please let us know how your range time goes. I like Red Dot. It works well in my old GEW98 8mm as well but I only shoot lighter loads. I have a number of different powers but I have a 8 pound jug of Red Dot sitting on the shelf for a reason - it works!

Boolit Grand Master
    Several years ago I used Green Dot for loading plinking loads in the .30-30 for use in an H&R Model 158. They worked acceptably; so I have no doubt Red Dot will work, it is just finding the sweet spot for your rifle and load.

Robert

Banned

I use Reddot for my 30/30 for cast. It will smokes like a chimney with my traditional lube but its clean with my PC boolits. I will have to look to verify but if I remember correctly I am using 8.0gr with a 150gr cast boolit.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    5 Gr Red Dot is good for me with a 165 gr boolit in my JM marlin 30-30 Boolit sized .311
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

I have recently been working with several bullets in the 140 to 180 grain range in the 30-30 with between 6 and 8 grains of Red Dot. One thing is for sure, A little goes a long ways. I'm using it for plinking loads and the results are certainly acceptable. I'm thinking with a plain based bullet you may get better results with a charge in the 6 grain range, but that is of course just a guess.
    Good Luck, and have fun,
    Rick

Happiness for me was around 6 grains with a 170 grain boolit.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I have recently been working with several bullets in the 140 to 180 grain range in the 30-30 with between 6 and 8 grains of Red Dot. One thing is for sure, A little goes a long ways. I'm using it for plinking loads and the results are certainly acceptable. I'm thinking with a plain based bullet you may get better results with a charge in the 6 grain range, but that is of course just a guess.
    Good Luck, and have fun,
    Rick
    I will try that. The 7.1 charge grouped around 3" at 40 yards but this was sitting with a bipod and a trigger that hasn't improved in 90+years.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    5 Gr Red Dot is good for me with a 165 gr boolit in my JM marlin 30-30 Boolit sized .311
    That is a good choice based on the data linked

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 on 5.0 grains of Red dot.
    I have used it with a 311-291, as well as a 311-245 with complete satisfaction out to 50 yards.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Yes I have used it with the 311291 also 5 gr very nice!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    6.4 gr Red Dot and 165gr gc design without the gas check tumbled in Liiquid alox gives me 1050 fps in my 30/30. It is a hoot to shoot.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

I'm trying 5.6 grs under the 170 and also the Lee 150 fpgc. Shouldn't be too loud.
    I'll get on the bags this time and give it a fair test.

Boolit Master
    Got a picture of that mauser.

Iv'e used some adi powders of similar burn rate and my 30-30 shot well.
    Mine seamed to like a soft lube and bullets better.
    50/50 bw and vas but anything soft should work.

Swirling winds today so I shot at 40yds. 6 shot groups with both boolits were 1-1/4" with no earplugs needed. I played chase the bullet on plain cardboard for a 1/2" 3 shot group with the Lee bullet, it fed better too. Pictures of the project are in the barrel works / gun smithing section.
    I'm happy with this for a plinking/small game load.
    Best, Thomas.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Good data happily shared by all. I am late to the party here but have little to add.

Used lots of Red Dot over the years,

2.5 grains in .32 S&W Long with 98-105 grain bullet
    3 grains in .32 H&R Mag and .32-20 with 100-120 grain bullet
    4 grains in 7.62x39 with 150-162 grain bullet
    5 grains in .32-40 with 170-grain bullet
    6 grains in .30-30 with 130-170 grain bullet, and in .44-40 with 200-grain bullet
    7 grains in .30-40 Krag with 200-230 grain bullet, and in .44 Magnum with same weight
    8 grains in .30-'06 with 160-grain cast bullet
    13 grains in .303 Brit, .308 Win., .30-'06 7.9x57 with pulled military FMJ Ball bullets.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I may try it in the .358 for a play load. I'm loading some hunting loads-cast & jacketed-soon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast