Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Savage 24

Moderator Emeritus

Savage 24

Anyone ever play with the older ones? Is accuracy good, fair, poor or ok? I have a line on 1, a 22lr over 20 gauge for $125 with the ugliest stock I have ever seen and a chinese red dot scope. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

"Moderator Emeritus"

Dad has had one for as long as I can remember, it's a 22lr over 410. I seen him head shoot squriels and rabbits with it. Saw my Mom pepper the neibour's cows a few times when they got thru the fence and into her garden. I had a 30-30 over 20gauge, that I really regret selling. I cut a dovetail in the scope rail, for a second rear flip up sight to use with RB 20 gauge loads. Probably won't win no matches with it, but they make a damn fine truck gun.
    krag35
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Generous Donator

Gianni,
    I just picked up a Stevens 22-410 this week-end for about that much. Mine needs a buttplate but has a real nice patina to the barrel. I haven't shot it yet however but I do have a 30/30 over 20 and a 222 over 20 that shoot decent 3 shot groups at 100 yds. They are nice dual purpose combo guns. Great house rifles and truck guns. Mark

Gianni .... I've been messing around with the Mod. 24 in .22/410 for 50 years. Even shoot in 100 .22 competition occasionally. Both of the ones I presently own are the older models with the side selector modified to the hammer selector. The older ones will "take" a trigger job that is impressive. On one I replaced the front sight with a 1/16" ivory bead & a Lyman receiver sight. The trigger breaks right at 22 ozs. At 50 yds from a rest 10 shots of CCI Standard velocity long rifle ammo will make one ragged hole. I use this almost exclusively for target work & still squirrel hunting.
    The second one is modified just like the first one except I cut 2" off the barrel to get rid of the choke & the trigger breaks at about 28 ozs. I took the insert out of the receiver sight & just use the outer ring. This is used for rabbit hunting. It's not quite as accurate as gun #1. About 1" groups at 50 yds.
    Both have leather quick release carrying slings which come in real handy.
    I use CCI Standard velocity, long rifle ammo in both rifles, & load .444 Marlin cases fireformed in their chambers loaded with #4 shot. Works real good. Also in gun #2 I have shot at lot of "three ball loads" & "single ball" loads along with a 200 grain hollow base "minie style" bullet.
    oksmle

Boolit Master
    I have an OLD 22/410 that shoots pretty good. I don't use it much, its a great squirrel gun. I don't load 410. I also have a 222/20 ga, that I love except the 222 barrel is rough as can be. The chamber is so long and big that I was considoring making it a 223. I did find a cast boolit that will shoot unsized lubed with liquid ear wax. I can shoot good groups at 50 yards, but won't even attempt 100. Its my Meat Gun. Responsable for many grouse, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, varmints and one deer (with a J boolit). I took a straight reamer to the choke and just took off that final 1/8" of the choke. It shoots nice consistant modafied patterns now. This gun was purchased new after one of the times Savage went belly up. The first one had a crack in the 222 chamber and would open the action every time you fired a 222. I sent it back twice before they sent me another gun. I have had it for over 20 years and still shoot and hunt with it regularly. This gun has a reciever site with no insert. Works best for all situations for me. I shot jacketed only in it up until I joined this silly board. Now it shoots cast like the rest of my rifles. I remember the gun smith I bought it from saying "It shoots much better than it should". This was after he peered down the bore. I did my own trigger job, and it works quite well. It has a silly safty that goes through the frame. I hate it. You don't need no steenkin safty on a hammer Gun! Its so easy to cock it as you pull it up and select the barrel if you need to. I keep it on shotgun, and can pull it to rifle when I cock it if needed.

I hunt in rifle zone. I am not much of a deer hunter so I take that gun and drive all day for the guys that like to sit. They like It, I like it and some times even get a few grouse.

David

Wink

I have owned two M24's over the years, a .22lr over 20G and a .30-30 over 20G, both of which are still in the family. The .22 will keep MOA all day with its preferred ammo, and the .30-30 is without question the most accurate 30 caliber barrel I have ever owned (out of more than 50). With its favorite handloads it shoots between 1/2 and 3/4 MOA, and it's favorite cast load averages just under MOA. I'm talking 5shot groups at 100yds, and yes I shot the .22 at that range for testing. The stocks aren't the most beautiful examples of woodworking that I have ever seen, but these are designed as hunting rifles and the game in the freezer has never been known to bemoan the esthetics. That's too good a price to pass up.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys, This stock has been lattice checkered with 1/4" lattice run over it and a red dyed background. It's nickname is the "Cherry pie special". Boyd's has blanks at a fair price though. Info is what I hoped for and it should make a great grouse or cottontail gun. Gianni.

Boolit Master
    If you replace the stock, I would like to see this "cherry pie special"

My stock is plain ugly. I stripped it a few years ago only to find it was basicly painted brown. The wood underneath has some black, almost rotted looking spots. The rest looks like a cheap 2X6 from Mr. Seconds. I tried a little cherry stain on it. No hope. I can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

David

Moderator Emeritus

Took it to the range today. It shoots 1/2 " groups at 25 yds over a rest and the shot gun shoots to the red dot also at 25 yds. I will probably keep the stock as is for a while but Boyds had inletted 85% finished blanks for $39 forend and stock as I read their ads. Gianni.