WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Primer Detonation

Boolit Master

Primer Detonation

Earlier this week I wet tumbled some 45 Colt brass. After drying, while putting them away I noticed one piece of brass had a good primer in it. Yeah, I had accidentally mixed some brass that I thought I had correctly separated. Anyhow, just for kicks and giggles, I stuck the brass in a gun and darned if it didn't still go bang! That was after 2 hours wet tumbling with Armour All, a drop of Dawn and Lemishine.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

Primers are hard to kill. I tested some of the various oil methods. Given time even the oils won't keep them inert for long.

I was give about 6K of primers that had been under water for several days. After drying I used them for shooting prairie dogs. Maybe a 6 or 8 misfires total.

Boolit Master
    Tough little dudes, and not as sensitive as many believe.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same experience. Primer in water for days. Put it in gun pulled trigger, BOOM. Did not think it would go off. What a surprise. Was told you can kill a primer with light oil.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    . Was told you can kill a primer with light oil.
    Yes and no. WD-40 and penetrating oils when put directly into the primer will inert it for a while. When I tried it the inert phase lasted a couple of days to a week or more but everything fired after a couple of weeks.

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening,
    I have missed a loaded round and it ended up in the wash. Wife found it in the bottom of the washer. I though for sure it would be completely dead....much to my surprise it fired the next day!!! No wet powder, no wet primer, just a bang and a hole in the target where I aimed. I was gifted some old, from the 60's primers, that had been stored in a damp cellar. At the time they were close to 40 years old. The paper boxes was moldy and dissolving, the trays were wood or a pressed paper that looked like wood, most were falling apart. I didn't think they would still work, so I loaded,primer only, a couple of the worst looking ones and bang, bang, bang!! I then used 10 to reload ammo and it worked fine, Out of the 4 or 5 thousand only a couple didn't go bang. Primers today are even better and less issues are had with them, which makes them harder to make inert.

Boolit Master
    I never buy new primers. Most of my personal stock I use is from the 60's and newer. Many are decades older than that. Of tens of thousands loaded I have had 2 duds. The only ones I do not like are the old rws primers from the lasc. They are domed and wreak havok in primer tubes.
    Life is so much better with dogs!