Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Measuring Group Size

Boolit Master
    Dime, nickel and quarter.

In Remembrance

Ever since I actually cared about how big my grouping was I was told the following method. Using a flat ruler of some sort, measure from the center of the two farthest apart holes. Been doing it this way almost 60 odd years. I`m sure that a nice buck you just took really cared if your target group size was measured one way or another.Robert

What do people consider a decent 100 yard group ?

Measuring Group Size

I'm no expert but I'd be really happy with a 1 in. 3 shot group with out shooting from a bench. With my MZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PtMD989; 03-28-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    It depends on what gun I'm shooting 2 -3 inches with my 357 mag,1-1.5 inches with my 308,1inch with my 223.but I know they can all shoot better than that but I can't.

Boolit Grand Master

The depends on the firearm, bullets and use.

With an original Trapdoor Springfield I am happy with 3 inch five shoot group. Same rifle rebarreled I expect about half that. That is using cast.

With my long range target rifles using jackets anything over 1/2" for ten shoot group concerns me.

With my BPCR and cast with black 1 1/2" five shot groups makes me happy.

For my centerfire varmint rifles I want 5/8 and under. I do have a Krieger Barreled AR that started life as a 3/8 MOA rifle. It has shot a bunch of 1/4" groups but not on demand. It has around 10,000 rounds through it. The throat is in tough shape but it is still holding 7/8" to 1" MOA. With that high of round count I am still happy with the groups. As soon as I am not I will chamber and install a new one.

Boolit Grand Master
    Kind of late here, but I use two different methods to measure groups. The first is the common measure the furthest two holes and subtract bullet diameter. The second is to measure the width of the group and the height of the group, I tend to think that gives more information.

As an example, you have a ten shot group that is 3½", not very good right? But what if it is 3/4" high and 3½" wide? Sounds more like a wind doping problem than a rifle problem all of a sudden, doesn't it?

Robert

I scan my targets, use the free version of OnTarget, save to a thumb drive. I add the calculated group size to my load spreadsheet with notes. Separate sheet for each gun. Someday when I get bored I'll link the load to the target pic.
    Whatever!

Depends on the gun and the person's point of view. For me, under 2 inches at 100 is good. Under an inch is awesome. I also think 3 shot groups are a bit of a joke. They tell lies. Lots of guns can shoot well for 3 to 5 shots. Can that rifle do that well under the pressure of hard use?

I shoot minimum 10 shot groups. Depending on the rifle, I may shoot 20. I group my AR's with a 20 round magazine.

Everyone has their opinions and they are just that, opinions, but for ME, a rifle that will put 20 rounds[fired in less than 10 minutes] inside 2 inches at a hundred beats a rifle that shoots a little clover leaf three hole group but needs time to cool before doing it again.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 308 Savage 99 that start to walk badly by the third round. I could care less. This is a deer hunting rifle only. Never fired more than one round at a deer with this rifle. On this would I am only interest in were the first shoot goes. Second shot most likely would be a running target. Hard use for this rifle would a second shot.

Boolit Master

Since I am only measuring to compare loads to find something to either plink or hunt, I have a simple method use a tape to measure to the farthest outside edge and look at the group shape. Is it me or are the best groups either triangular or round in shape.

Much shortened to the final point of his story, but years ago Jack O' Connor said what counted with a hunting rifle was 5 one shot groups.
    Because when one is hunting the accurate placement of the first shot is what really counts.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-30-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Don't use any type of measuring tool.
    those suckers will cause group expansion as soon as they touch the paper. I can't count the number 1.5" inch groups I have had jump to 3.5" as soon as a measuring tool hit the paper.
    Hell yeah, and throw out those fliers too!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggernosis View Post
    Hell yeah, and throw out those fliers too!
    you have to at least throw out the worst couple...... heck I went from 5.5moa with my Arisaka to 4.1 moa just by tossing those flyers...
    I use a old version of on target.
    heres the one with 16.7% of the worst shots dropped

Wait, you all have more than one hole to measure? My group size is usually whatever caliber I'm shooting at the time.

(Either that or I only hit the target once...)
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Don't use any type of measuring tool.
    those suckers will cause group expansion as soon as they touch the paper. I can't count the number 1.5" inch groups I have had jump to 3.5" as soon as a measuring tool hit the paper.
    I laughed out loud at this comment. How True!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12