RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: I Need Some Recommendations On Some New Moulds, Boys...

Guy La Pourque

I Need Some Recommendations On Some New Moulds, Boys...

Welp - I finally joined the ranks of the BPCR crowd. Today I shot both my blackpowder guns, feeding 'em both boolits I cast and lubed myself.

The Retirement Rifle (45-70 Pedersoli Spaghetti Rolling Block) surprised me: I coaxed a couple 3 inch groups at 150m out of it! Not bad for a guy that doesn't know what he's doing, eh? HAR HAR HAR! I did that with some 500 grain conicals dumped from a cheap Lee mould and shot 'em as cast without sizing.

The Hemorrhoid Rifle (a Uberti Repro of the 1876 lever gun - complete with a botched 'trigger job' from the previous owner) was a let down. It's in .45-75 bottleneck... and groups ran about a foot and a half with boolits cast in a Lee 350 grain mould.

Fellas - I know they're great but I just don't like Lee moulds - my big one for the Roller broke after about a week and is a ***. I'm sorry, there's no nice way to say it, whoever was on QA/QC when that one left the factory - should be spanked. The screw holding the sprue cutter broke, the damn blocks required road rage to hold 'em closed and I threw it in the garbage rather than screw with it! Grrrrrr!!!! It cast some good boolits before it broke though... I want a good mould, to throw .459 boolits - preferably the big Postell 525 grainers. Can you recommend a make and model for me? I don't mind spending money, I just want a good one.

The other Lee mould for the lever gun works like a charm and throws shiny, beautiful boolits... but my rifle absolutely hates them! Could I get a little more accuracy out of a round nose boolit in the lever gun? Would it be safe to shoot? Surely a fella can do better than a foot and a half at 150m?

Finally to make sure I'm REALLY screwed - I need to get that here in Canada! I can buy cheap Lee moulds up here, but serious quality equipment like lube/sizers and high end moulds are touch and go.

Any advice is sincerely appreciated. Which brings me to my last problem: I threw all my brass in a Tupperware filled with soap and water when I got home and now my house smells like a sewer and my wife is due home any minute! What should I do? She's is gonna gag and then kill me! It smells like squishy pants in here!

As always, your recommendations and sympathies are sincerely appreciated!

Fabreeze for the smell. Keep it outside in the future. Great fertilizer. A product called Nil-Odor is good too.

For my BPCR now there are only two left that make my moulds.

http://brooksmoulds.com/
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/bullet-m...16se6pdqo83r7U
    If Accurate arms ever goes past the flat nosed bullets he will be the third mould maker. I have two of his moulds for my lever rifles and they are top notch also. http://accuratemolds.com/catalog.php

Now, for the important stuff. Starline brass, trimmed to 2.095", CCI Large Rifle Primer, Lyman 457-193 "Beagled" you can read about how to Beagle a mold in CastBoolits. I used soft lead, Ben's Red Lube, OAL 2.700" with IMR SR 4759, 27.0 grains. You can use AA 5744, around 23.5 grains too. Another is the same load, changing only the bullet to a Hoch 459-500. Both molds are available via mail order.
    Good shootin'. Good luck with the smell too.

When I first started shooting BPCRS I used a Lyman 457125.
    It was not the most accurate mold but it shot very well.
    Might try it if you can find one there.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

In Remembrance

Guy-La-Pourque;

Buy the best, cry once over the price. If you really want cast boolits to shoot properly in YOUR rifle rather than "hope they will." You need to make a throat slug and send it to Veral Smith at LBT so he can cut a mould that fits YOUR rifle exactly. He will want to know your intended use, rifling twist, and casting alloy so his mould will be perfect for your use, His moulds are perfection personified. This is from a really satisfied customer. Why buy something you think will work instead of something designed to work? Once you cast from a LBT boolit mould, you will wonder why you wasted money on all the others. My LBT boolit moulds cut my group size to less than half of the best I could wring out of "off-the-shelf" boolit moulds from Lyman, RCBS, Redding, and all the others. Boolit fit is King!

Boolit Master
    You should dig deeper, but from what I've heard most Pedersoli rifles like a .460" bullet.

I'm also in Canada and I've bought many molds from American places like Buffalo Arms, Steve Brooks, and CPA ( Hoch molds ). It's no problem ordering them.

If you want a Canadian source, I've heard good things about Boomers Molds, but I've never tried them.

Quality-wise I don't think anyone can beat a Buffalo Arms mold.

Chris.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMR SR 4759 27 Hoch 459500.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	191804 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMR SR 4759 27 Lyman 457193.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	191805There you go, Guy. Couldn't get it to upload yesterday, plus the wife was calling me for dinner. She doesn't like being kept waiting

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You might do a google search for Pedersoli "victory" mould. About 10 years ago they came up with a design that was supposed to be just perfect for the Pedersoli chamber. There were a few of those blocks made, but with a bit of luck you can find the drawings and have Boomer build you one to keep from the problems of shipping stuff across the border.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several Old West brass moulds I really like. Not sure if they can ship to Canada. Boomers are good also.

Boolit Master
    Boomer makes a good mold at a decent price.
    his web page is very good.http://boomersmoulds.com/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    You might do a google search for Pedersoli "victory" mould. About 10 years ago they came up with a design that was supposed to be just perfect for the Pedersoli chamber. There were a few of those blocks made, but with a bit of luck you can find the drawings and have Boomer build you one to keep from the problems of shipping stuff across the border.
    'Way back when the Victory mold was conceived, Dick Trenk asked me to draw up a bullet sketch with these dimensions to fit a chamber cast of a Pedersoli throat. I cannot be positive that this is what eventually became the Victory mold. Nor can I be sure of the actual chamber dimensions, as I did not physically measure the casting but, for what it's worth, this is what is in my old Precision Cast Bullet Design database.

Hope this helps.

Click the images to enlarge.

Name:	Pedersoli-Gunn-Trenk_460-450-545.Jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	191874 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pedersoli-Gunn-Trenk_460-450-545_544_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	191875 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-70_Govt._Pedersoli_re_Dick_Trenk~Barrel_Lg_45-70_Govt._Starline_Pedersoli-Gunn-Trenk_460-450-.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	191868

In July, 2011, I purchased a Pedersoli Sharps Deluxe rifle. The chamber in that Rifle was nothing like the Trenk chamber.
    So, in order to prevent a useless mold purchase, It would be wise to do a chamber impact impression or a Cerro-safe casting to see just what would fit YOUR cnamber.

Here are images of my Pedersoli chamber loaded with trimmed 45-90 brass and the Excellent N.O.E clone of the Lyman Postel bullet

Name:	N.O.E._Mold_457132-L.Jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	191869 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.O.E._Mold_457132-L_535_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	191870 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-70_Govt._Pedersoli~N.O.E._457132.Jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	191876
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I have that very mould commonly referred to at the "PGT", casts 546gn when made of 1:30. Got me into the placings at World Creedmood 2006 in a Pedersoli 45/90!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Wallace,

Just to satisfy my curiosity bump, Do the dimensions match up to the design attached to my previous post?
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers

The PGT delivers dimensions as shown but the nose is different more rounded like the Lyman Postell. They drop from the mould at 0.460" and are each weighed to +/- 0.2 gns.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    The PGT delivers dimensions as shown but the nose is different more rounded like the Lyman Postell. They drop from the mould at 0.460" and are each weighed to +/- 0.2 gns.
    Thanks, appreciate the reply.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers