Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: 38/357Mag from 357Max brass.

In Remembrance

38/357Mag from 357Max brass.

I got this idea some time ago, and lets face it folks....those shot capsules just aren't always around. Not to mention the LGS told me those lighter revolvers (namely the 38Spl) have a tendency to have a bit more felt recoil and the shot capsules want to back out of the case.

I got in some 357Max brass, and I trimmed some down to 1.520 from the 1.600 factory 357Max length. For the 357Mag loads you can just leave it alone since the 1.600 length will work just fine.

I'm pretty much using regular loading data despite the fact I'm using more shot.

For these I'm using 4.5gr of B-Eye which in my revolver works just fine, and it's a 357Mag.

Once I prime I put the powder in and I'm using an aluminum 8mm (.323) as an over powder wad which works just fine. Factory shot load is 100gr using the shot capsules Speer makes when you can find them. These hold a bit more and I put in 120gr (20% increase) in these. The Speer ammo for 38Spl holds 100gr of #9 and I'm using #8 since that's the smallest I have right now, which is a 20% increase in payload.

Here's the Stats on the factor 38Spl shot shells. http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLoc...temsPerPage=48

Now what I use is something called a notching die, it comes from CH-4D and this is what it looks like. Granted the link takes you to the die but that 1 in particular is for a 50BMG but I didn't look around for the exact same thing I have although I know it's in there site (somewhere). 50 BMG Blank Crimp Die : CH4D

Now your going to need to reduce the diameter a bit so that it'll clear the forcing cone. For that I used a 22Rem Jet #1 form die, and I know not everyone has that. But I'm sure you folks have a LEE push through sizer in 356 which should work just fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0598.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	191721

From left to right: 357Mag with 135gr #8 shot....Speer capsules loaded in 38Spl.....38Spl made from 357Max with a 120gr load.

All but the Speer shot capsules will cycle in a lever gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0601.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	191809

I know it's hard to tell by the picture, but they do split after being 1x fired.

Want to prevent that?.....Just roll crimp the end just like jmorris did and the problem is solved.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 03-26-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Nice job Grumpa. Got any pics of the brass after firing?

Boolit Master
    I like it, but Max brass isn't exactly cheap, can it be reused (for shot) after firing?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by tigweldit View Post
    Nice job Grumpa. Got any pics of the brass after firing?
    I'll check and see if I have it laying around, if I can find it I'll post a picture of it. If you've ever used a 22 shot load it looks the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I like it, but Max brass isn't exactly cheap, can it be reused (for shot) after firing?
    I really wouldn't try and reuse it. I came up with this idea for the LGS to be honest. Those they use once and that's it and the price is still cheaper making your own from 357Max brass.

The only way to get around it is to use a gas check as an over shot card and roll crimp. Just don't plan on using it in anything but a revolver though. Just finding the factory loads is hit and miss even going through a supplier, as the LGS is all to familiar with.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Buddy

I just have to try the 8mm aluminum gas checks myself, I love this idea.
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

The only way to get around it is to use a gas check as an over shot card and roll crimp.
    Thats what I did, because it was easier to make the die to do it.

Boolit Mold
    I worked up a straight case load in a ruger sp-101 and had one chamber bored straight through. Roll crimp a gas check or stiff card wad with a bit of glue over the mouth . I just use that as my first one up for snakes. I based my propellant off the speer shot capsule charges although as stated it carries more shot. I load with 9 shot instead of 11 like speer if memory serves. Cylinders to modify for a Ruger SP-101 are obtained on e-bay for around $45. That way you don't modify your original cylinder. I'm contemplating the same idea by boring out a blackhawk which would take a full length 444 marlin, cut shorter of course. I've made a bottle neck in the marlin brass before. You just fire form with the tapered 444 marlin. Then resize to reload the front part with a 44 mag die. I had to turn rim down a bit too I think. Sorry don't remember payload/ load data for .444 but got it from Handloading for Handgunners.( great old book with data on shotloads).

Boolit Master

was that a gas check for 8mm over the powder or just a circle of aluminum 8mm in diameter.

In Remembrance
    The 8mm checks I got from here: http://www.sagesoutdoors.com/

He's a member here and the ones he made me are the real thin aluminum gas checks. The price wasn't bad either since I requested the real thin type and not the run of the mill thicker type that would be used on a 8mm boolit.

Annealing Services

Boolit Buddy
    I've been thinking about doing some of these. How terrible is the leading when fired?