RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Looking for small metal targes

Looking for small metal targes

Not knock overs but ones that can be hung in a trap.Marvin

I have a spinner and a full set of silhouettes from steelplinkers. You can just buy the spinners without a stand.

http://www.steelplinkers.com/index.html

Thanks . Do you have any idea how long the small diameter ones on the bottom of the page are .Marvin

Boolit Master
    Some of the guys on another board have been flattening spent CO2 cylinders and inserting a wire eye in the hole in the neck, then hanging them on a wire.
    Apparently they ring pretty good when hit. A solid hit can send them spinning.

Washers?

Boolit Grand Master

If you know an electrician have him save the knock outs from electrical breaker boxes. They they roughly 3/4" up to a couple inches or more.

Spoons!

Go to the second hand store, buy 3-6 regular table teaspoons.

In my case I used a pretty small steel rod from a file hanging system as my crossbar. A piece of 1/4 to 3/8 threaded rod would work well.

Find something a size larger to lock into the vise to wrap the spoon handles around. So when you slip it off it fits easily onto your crossbar.

2 schools of thought on handles. Either wrap until the handle is all wrapped, which takes more work but not much in the way of tools.

Or wrap once (or twice) cut off and hammer the cut end closed.

I used nail polish in Yellow, Red, Blue and some whiteout to put little colorful targets on the backs of my spoons.

I had thought about the spoons but I do not know how they will hold up . Pistols are only 400 fps 10 yards away . But I will be shooting a lot . Had not thought about the carts which I will have and they are paid for already . Found one supplier that sells 3 inch 3/16 thick rounds for under 3 dollars . But that is larger than I wanted . If the spoons do not hold up the cost could well exceed the rounds . I am use to my BB rifles bending up 45 acp metal targets . Marvin

I made some for my target stand.
    I used.
    Conduit
    1/4 rod
    1/8 thick flat bar
    lag bolts

Quote Originally Posted by sixshootertexan View Post
    I made some for my target stand.
    I used.
    Conduit
    1/4 rod
    1/8 thick flat bar
    lag bolts

You made me think . I have a vise , hand hack saw and drill in storage that I can pull out . And a Home Depot about 30 miles away that has flat stock . Marvin

Here's a close up of the spinner.

Boolit Master
    You could find a workshop that makes them as a byproduct of small round holes.

My spinners will be in a small trap so all I will have to do is drill a hole for a hook . They also have fender washers with a OD of 1-2 inches that I will look at . There is a welding shop at the 20 mile marker that I might stop and ask if he has a scrap bin I can go through . Marvin

Went to ACE hardware today . Was able get the 1/4 ID x 2 OD" fender washers . Someone mention plugs from electrical boxes so I looked in that section as well .Found a 3 1/2 inch oval box cover with 7/8 plugs in the center . Bought 2 of them and bolted them together to make sure they would hold up . Figured the size would help me sight in and the plugs can be removed for pass through accuracy shoots .Marvin

Boolit Master
    Looking at some small "screw eyes" in a picture hanging kit I got an idea.

Using expended CO2 caplets one could thread the eye screw directly into the hole left when it was pierced, no need to flatten the caplet, when strung on a wire a solid center hit with a lead pellet, especially a wad cutter, would spin the caplet but a hit off to either side would just send it swinging from side to side. The better your hold the more spinners vs swingers.

Boolit Master
    Dollar store spoons

Not sure the spoons would hold up . And the hook idea could work . If I were to try them I might drill a hole from the nipple end through the base . Run a wire through it and bend it on the end .Marvin

Boolit Buddy
    Just found this post from airgun blog about making your own spinner and thought you might find it useful.
    http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017/...inner-targets/
    "There are no solutions there are only tradeoffs" ~ Thomas Sowell

Most spoons are stainless, seem to be pretty tough.

Mine seem like the first shot puts a dent in them, and from that point they don't dent again.

Hitting mine with 14.3 grain pellets pushing 1000 fps with something like 27-29 fpe.

Those bend up my airgun resetting targets, but don't seem to do much to the spoons. Spoon being free to move lets it shrug off the damage.

Thanks for the info .I have been using the fender washers with out any damage .Marvin