Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smith 625 question

Boolit Master

Federal primers. +1
    beyond that I had a gunsmith buddy do mine. Don't recall what he used, but it is butter.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpmsman View Post
    Auto Rim brass would probably work great but it negates a speedy reload.
    HKS makes their speed-loader sets for the 45 Auto Rim. Re- and de-moon-clipping is a chore I prefer to live without.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I tried the spent primer trick and so far it's worked. I will admit it has increased the da trigger pull weight some but I guess there's no free lunch. Anyway thanks for all the advice.
    Jonathon

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    HKS makes their speed-loader sets for the 45 Auto Rim. Re- and de-moon-clipping is a chore I prefer to live without.

For competition, there is no comparison between moon clip and HKS speed loader reloads. For the range, there's RIMZ moon clips.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Well I tried the spent primer trick and so far it's worked. I will admit it has increased the da trigger pull weight some but I guess there's no free lunch. Anyway thanks for all the advice.
    Jonathon
    If you want to get lower pull weights with reliability, the first thing to do is shed some hammer weight. Cut the spur way back. You need to get back some of the speed you lost to the lighter springs. The 625 in my avatar runs just over 7 pounds and goes bang every time with Federals. Frankly, taking a couple of pounds more out of the pull weight would not be moving me to Master.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Interesting in put on the C&S firing pin. I shoot around 500-1000 rounds a year is all in my 625. Have a couple of buddies that travel a bunch, I know one of those guns sees an easy average of 5000 rounds a year in matches and that's not including practice.
    Have not talked to them in a year or so, never heard of them having an issue yet.

Boolit Grand Master

I broke 2 in a 7 pound pull revolver and then sold the free replacements that C&S sent me. The first one killed my match. The second one I swapped the factory pin back in and finished. That pin is still in the gun through 40 - 50,000 rounds.

Pop over to the Enos forum and see the high regard they hold those pins in...

Just my 2 cents worth. While all of the above answers are good, there is one other route you may want to try.

Cylinder endshake also comes into play when dealing with light hammer hits, or reduced spring power. I've owned numerous S&W's over the decades and have always enjoyed tinkering with them. I fully understand those who avoid changing out any factory springs. Installing an endshake bearing is pretty simple. It will set your cylinder back a few 1000th's toward the recoil shield. The bearings come in several thicknesses. Most common is the .0002 thickness. You can find them on Brownells, or Ron Powers. Also, several sell them on Ebay (not that I care that much for Ebay). Just food for thought.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Banned

Is there a way to get more tension on the Wolf spring. Maybe a longer tension screw?
    No. The spring will bottom against the grip frame and can't go more. I have posted many times about hammer springs. I shoot SA and go the other way with over power springs since a weak spring will destroy accuracy. A primer needs struck hard.
    I understand about DA where you want less pull but it still stands that a primer needs struck.
    I shot IHMSA many years and as soon as I stopped hitting I would change the hammer spring, bought them by the dozen from Ruger but poor springs. I went to Wolfe over power variable springs. I use a 26# in the SA and if a revolver shoots a rifle primer it needs a 28#.
    For SA the metal work and trigger spring is worked and I get down to 19 oz with a strong hammer spring. I ran into trouble with Ruger's and BFR's with light triggers, found the transfer bars were too short so I made my own, longer to stay on the firing pin.
    I know you want to shoot DA but the release of the hammer is shorter then SA so you have less hammer travel. To look for a primer that is softer is not an answer. I use Fed primers for everything anyway and have taken them to near 60,000 psi.
    S&W balances springs to work together and gets it wrong now and then. Cylinder stop spring can be too light.
    Use the Wolfe rebound spring but put the S&W hammer spring back in. Keep the strain screw tight.

Boolit Master
    Federal primers (if you can get your hands on some) and lengthened firing pin should do the trick. My preference is also the Cylinder & Slide but Apex makes on and I think one other but any should do.

I shoot revos in USPSA & IDPA as do a few of my buddies. One almost exclusively shoots 625 JM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Man
    Is the strain screw all the way in? Try adjusting it in if you can.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, it bottoms out in the frame. There's room inside the frame for the spring to be tightened further but the screw will not go in any farther because it bottoms out in the frame. Kind of hard to explain maybe I'll take a picture of it tonight.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, it bottoms out in the frame. There's room inside the frame for the spring to be tightened further but the screw will not go in any farther because it bottoms out in the frame. Kind of hard to explain maybe I'll take a picture of it tonight.
    Make certain also that some shade tree hacksaw expert hasn't filed down the tip of the strain screw. The usual sign of such butchery is a tip that is other than perfectly square, or has finish removed from the entire tip. Normal wear to the finish on these screw tips is at the tip edge & perimeter.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Bub
    Make certain also that some shade tree hacksaw expert hasn't filed down the tip of the strain screw. The usual sign of such butchery is a tip that is other than perfectly square, or has finish removed from the entire tip. Normal wear to the finish on these screw tips is at the tip edge & perimeter.
    I purchased a 625 through GunBroker that had received a "custom gunsmithing job" and the same thing happened to me, dreaded sending the revolver to S&W, purchased a replacement screw from Midway and turns out they had filed a significant portion of the screw. After replacing the screw, it never misfires! I saved a couple of hundred dollars to have S&W fix it. The screw is only $1.99 plus shipping. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/781...686-round-butt

Boolit Grand Master
    I saw a couple dozen of these file jobs done to S&W revolvers over my years as a rangemaster at work. More than one gunrag scribbler has written about these surgical procedures, and whenever we saw misfiring revolvers we just rejected them for service and issued the deputy a Model 64 x 4" that DID work. If the deputy wanted his/her personally-owned revolver returned to service, he/she had to have the work done by a certified S&W armorer to restore it to service, and bring the letter from the vendor advising same. On a Department-owned firearm, the carrying deputy got 3 days off without pay for damaging equipment. Almost always, the modded strain screws were found accompanied by clipped rebound slide springs. Same rule for Wolff springs in a personal or Department revolver--all OEM, or all bad. Exspurts need not apply.

Boolit Grand Master

There is a world of difference in setup between a revolver to be used for self defense and one optimized to play a game.

Boolit Bub
    Whomever wants to play a game can use a Nerf gun, hobby or competitive firearm target practice is to improve your accuracy if you ever need to defend yourself or a family member. Even if you will only use a firearm for competition, you want it to go "bang" when you squeeze the trigger...

Boolit Buddy
    The 625 was purchased new by me and I have not messed with it till now. I just changed springs nothing more. No hacksawing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFanOH View Post
    Whomever wants to play a game can use a Nerf gun, hobby or competitive firearm target practice is to improve your accuracy if you ever need to defend yourself or a family member. Even if you will only use a firearm for competition, you want it to go "bang" when you squeeze the trigger...
    The 625 in my avatar has a 7 pound DA pull. That comes from moderate polishing, a Wolff 14 pound rebound and a home bent mainspring. It also has 20-30,000 rounds through it since it last went click instead of bang.

Now that record beats a whole lot of daily carry semi-autos, but there is no way I would carry that gun for self defense. It is set up to play USPSA and ICORE. It's a toy with hugely reduced tolerance for error.

We are all adults and everyone is free to do as they wish. Me? I like playing gun games and I stopped pretending games were training a long time ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12