Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: New Model Blackhawk 45 Colt

New Model Blackhawk 45 Colt

My local enabler has a New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt for sale. It is blue. If my cypherin is correct it was made in 1981. It is unfired. He is asking $650 for it. MFSRP is $669 at the present time. I am unwilling to pay the asking price by a considerable margin, but he won't come down as yet. It is a consignment gun so he gets a % of the sale. What do you think, is it worth it?
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Given the facts as you have stated, his price is not unreasonable. You've got to pay to play.

If it comes with box and paperwork, the price is reasonable. On a consignment gun, most often the owner sets the bottom price, not the dealer.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Perma-Banned

I would check on this...if I were in the market for one.

Like new .45colt Bisley, brass, dies shipped for $595

Might take a little less...

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...y#Post11924726
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 03-25-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Banned

You could probably save around $100 if you are patient, including factoring in, around $35 for shipping. My FFL charges me nothing for my Gun Broker scores, but will assume $20 for the transfer.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/B...240&mo=3001709
    Last edited by jmort; 03-25-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Banned

Here is a buy it now, not sure what barrel length you want, for $502 with $15 shipping
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/629490662

Boolit Master
    It's to close to the cost of a new one, for a used gun. Get a new one.

There are plenty of brand new Ruger New Model BlackHawk revolvers for sale, for a bit less than what your LGS wants. Find one with free shipping and you'll still come out cheaper even having to pay for your FFL transfer.

Regardless of what the seller or the LGS think, that is a used gun...period and the most I would pay would be 75% of new value if it was truly in LNIB condition.

Banned

The one I linked was new, $517 delivered. Brand new.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    The one I linked was new, $517 delivered. Brand new.
    Good price.

Short answer is no. Plenty of those around, why pay a new price for a used gun?

Here's a brand new convertible 45/45ACP for $571.00, shipped.
    Last edited by scattershot; 03-25-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Vendor Sponsor

I don't think I would invest in that new unfired gun without running a tightly patched cleaning rod down the bore, guns made in that era were notorious for thread choke. If your cleaning rod stops and takes considerable effort to push it past the barrel/frame juncture, I would walk way and not think twice as the gun will never be a very good shooter without a ton of work. Work that the factory WILL NOT address.

Also take a .452" boolit and see if it will go through the cylinder throats from the front. If it falls through, this is one of the odd ones with perhaps .456" throats which were horrible with cast boolits unless you sized them almost to throat diameter. If the .452" won't go through the throats, it would be typical as many only have .4505" throats and will need throat reaming to .4525" to be a good shooter.

Unless you are looking to shoot the Ruger Only loads that are rated to 30,000psi, then may I suggest a medium framed Blackhawk? These more recently produced guns are IMO some of the best made Rugers that ever rolled off their assembly line. The "lawyer warning" is on the bottom, it is very faintly impressed (unlike the deeply impressed warning of the earlier full size guns which left ridges inside the bore behind the lines of text on the outside).

The 45 is good to 23,000psi or 45 ACP+P pressure and will easily push a 250gr boolit to 1200fps and stay within that pressure ceiling. The fit and finish is VERY well done, the examples I have seen have had basically zero thread choke, and after cylinder throat reaming and swapping in a Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring, make EXCELLENT shooters.

I would pick the newer Blackhawk hands down over the original, having owned both varieties. Unless you want to shoot Ruger Only loads with it, then the newer gun simply is not rated to 30,000psi but it is thinner, lighter, smaller, and handles very well over the original large framed Blackhawk..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

^^^ That is some good advice

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    On a consignment gun, most often the owner sets the bottom price, not the dealer.
    This is true. But.....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/B...45&Condition=3

If you want used, there are all sorts of good used guns on GunBroker for much less; somewhere between $350 and $450 for decent used examples. For your $650, you could buy a NM convertible and still have money left over or even a really decent OM 3 screw. Bottom line, $650 for a used NM .45 Blackhawk is INSANE. If he holds at that price, it will never sell.....never.

Boolit Grand Master
    for me way to close in price to a new one to pay new price for a used one
    better deals elsewhere
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    That is around the era of the last one I worked over. Huge cylinder throats and plenty of thread choke. I got it to shoot decently, but it was a lot of work and required a special mold. (.455+) to shoot well. It's no bargain, buy a new one. Just my opinion.

Boolit Bub
    That seems high to me, too. I believe Bud's has the regular new model 5.5 inch for $497.00 with free shipping. Of course, you'd have to pay transfer. You might also check Davidson's Gallery Of Guns. Price there will depend on which local retailer you pick, but it's all inclusive. No additional transfer fee and a really good system in my opinion. I've had good experiences with both.
    Last edited by blackhawk man; 03-26-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Pass. You can get a new stainless Bisley for that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Pass. You can get a new stainless Bisley for that.
    I paid $585 for my new BH Bisley stainless .45 Colt from Bud's...

Thanks for the replies gents, fact is I would pay less for a new one from that same dealer. That one is off the table for me.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Master

Sounds like the consignor doesn't want to sell it very badly.