WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Seneca stocks

Boolit Master

Seneca stocks

Yesterday I had a local gunsmith cut a new Seneca stock from my own aged maple using my damaged stock as a template. I still have a lot of this maple in my barn. It goes from highly figured to plain grain. Would anyone else have an interest in a Seneca stock blank? I also have a T/C Hawken on the rack that could also be used as a template. The gunsmith would be willing for a small fee for his time and equipment. You would be on your own for inletting, etc. If you want to see what this wood looks like check out some of the pictures at Notch Pass Gunworks.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 03-25-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Am I looking for muzzleloaders stocked with Maple or those bolt action rifles?
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Master
    Jim does both. His pictures of this blond wood are certainly better than mine. Of course, this wood can be stained darker. In fact, I gave him a highly figured blank to make his own full stock flintlock Pennsylvania rifle. All this wood has been sitting in the loft of my barn for many years. If memory served, he apprenticed under some very familiar names to rendezvous muzzleloaders.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Im interested, depending on price. Would cherokee parts drop fit a seneca stock?

Boolit Master

I might be interested depending on cost
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

In Remembrance

Cherokee parts would "drop in" all except for the barrel that has a slightly different length under-rib. Of course you can shorten or fill in as necessary. Keep in mind that Thompson Center Cherokee and Seneca rifles ALL had a little hand fitting, so a small amount may be necessary to get a good snug fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    Im interested, depending on price. Would cherokee parts drop fit a seneca stock?

Boolit Master
    That is just what I don't know. The blocks of maple are 4" thick so each blank has to be cut from a template on the band saw then split on the table saw. Jim has the tools and the skills. I have had the wood in the barn for years from a tree I harvested and sold a portion of years ago for an unbelievable price to Europeans. I am in the process of "lightening the load" of accumulated stuff over many years. The process takes about 45 minutes for each. Some of the blocks are relatively straight grain while others are exhibition grade but I just need to compensate Jim for his skills, time, and tools. The blank for my Seneca stock is fully fiddleback with a strong hint of iridescent quilt pattern. The 54" blank I gave Jim for his trouble and help on another rifle project is 100% iridescent quilt pattern so will be museum grade some day. Quoting a price is tough. A straight grain is easy at $40 plus shipping and I guess the higher grades will be about $80 or so. I have at least half a dozen of the full length blocks and at least half a dozen half blocks that would make perfect two-piece stock for a lever gun.
    BTW - At least one will be going to NCBS this year as a gift.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post

as I read this, you will be gettin' a "blank" that requires you to inlet the lock, triggers, tang, etc., etc. if this is correct then no, yer parts won't "drop-in".