Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could only have one .45 revolver.........

Boolit Mold

If you could only have one .45 revolver.........

I've decided my next gun purchase will be a revolver(my first and probably only) and I have started saving up for it. In the meantime, i'm doing my research.

Here are some of my parameters: Early on I got it in my head that I wanted something in .45 since I don't own any calibers larger than my .357 single shot pistol. I enjoy casting and loading as much as shooting, so, adding another caliber is a plus, bonus points if it is a bit of an oddball. I've looked at blackhawks, but, didn't like the grip much. I could get over the single action and the single cartridge loading/unloading, but, I really don't like the grip. I will mostly be shooting targets at the range, so, anything that is punishing to shoot is out. (From my reading, that means anything larger than 44mag). I shoot my compact 9mm very well, but, beside wanting a wheelgun for wheelgun sake, better accuracy would be a plus. The used market is almost non-existent in my area. I have a couple local shops that have reasonable prices within 10 minutes of my house, but, they don't really have much for used. A couple bigger stores that have hit and miss used are an hour or more away.

Having said that, I've narrowed my search down to three revolvers:

Ruger Bisley Convertible in Stainless: http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...eets/0472.html

Pros:
    • 45 acp + 45LC
    • more comfortable grip handle(unconfirmed since I haven't handled one in the wild)
    • probably won't sacrifice 45 acp accuracy since it has a separate cylinder

Cons:
    • Small dings for single action and single loading.
    • Williams Shooters Supply exclusive, haven't verified I can get it from my local guys.

Smith & Wesson 625 JM https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-625-jm

Pros:
    • Should be accurate in .45 acp since that is all it shoots.
    • Moonclips are plentiful and reasonably priced
    • Double action

Cons:
    • Just one caliber added to my roster, although, I've taking a liking to .45 acp
    • the grip isn't very nice looking, but, a hogue can be bought for around $25

Ruger Redhawk 45auto/45LC : http://www.ruger.com/products/redhaw...eets/5032.html
    Pros:
    • 45 acp + 45LC
    • Double action
    • Don't have to swap cylinders to swap calibers

Cons:
    • Proprietary moonclips that aren't as reasonably priced
    • Some reports of .45 acp being less accurate than 45LC
    • Not sure if I like the grip or not, could easily be replaced.

All three firearms are beautiful and priced similarly around $800 from my research. At this cost, it would easily be the most expensive firearm in my collection and I would have a hard time going above that. My question is twofold: 1.) Am I missing another option out there, say, something in .41 mag that can tick some boxes I don't even know I have. 2.) Are any of my suspicions (.45acp out of the redhawk being less accurate) either confirmed or false.

Thanks all.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    All three on your list are good choices.

Of the current production revolvers out there, the one I use most is the Ruger Blackhawk convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP.

However, if your karma shines upon you and funds permit, there are some classic older guns you should hop on like a duck on a Junebug should one come your way, these are:

Ruger Old Army cap & ball .45, then get either .45 Colt or .45 ACP conversion cylinder from Walt Kirst. The .45 ACP cylinder also will work well with .455 Webley and .455 Eley

Colt New Service M1909 .45 Colt

Colt New Service M1917 .45 ACP

S&W .45 Hand Ejector M1917 .45 ACP

S&W Model .45 Hand Ejector Model 1950 Military

S&W Model .45 Hand Ejector Model 1955 Target
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I have the first two. I would say the Blackhawk wins for versatility, as you have such a variety of loads to shoot. Think about it, how many different 45 acp loads alone, plus the 45 Colts....which can be loaded anything from 45 ACP levels up to heavy bear loads, even shot loads.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 94Doug View Post
    I have the first two. I would say the Blackhawk wins for versatility, as you have such a variety of loads to shoot. Think about it, how many different 45 acp loads alone, plus the 45 Colts....which can be loaded anything from 45 ACP levels up to heavy bear loads, even shot loads.
    So if you could only keep one it would be the Blackhawk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My thought jumps to a revolver in the 460 remmy mag.I think that any cal with 45 could be shot in it.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Like others, I have multiple revolvers in both 45 Colt and 45 ACP (Colt, Smith and Wesson and Ruger) and like them all. But, if I could only have one, which was your question, it would be the Ruger Blackhawk and the 45 ACP extra cylinder would be icing on the cake.

These are well made, accurate, brute strong and long lived. Figure on sending the cylinder/cylinders to DougGuy for uniforming to .4525 if you are shooting cast bullets and want the best possible accuracy.

I have a stainless Blackhawk worked over by Gary Reeder and one of the new Lipsey's 45 Flattop convertibles. I could live quite well with either of these fine pistols.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flatop 45.jpg   Sixgunner.com No. 5.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Like others, I have multiple revolvers in both 45 Colt and 45 ACP (Colt, Smith and Wesson and Ruger) and like them all. But, if I could only have one, which was your question it would be the Ruger Blackhawk and the 45 ACP extra cylinder would be icing on the cake.

These are well made, accurate, brute strong and long lived. Figure on sending the cylinder/cylinders to DougGuy for uniforming to .4525 if you are shooting cast bullets and want the best possible accuracy.

I have a stainless Blackhawk worked over by Gary Reeder and one of the new Lipsey's 45 Flattop convertibles. I could live quite well with either of these fine pistols.
    Thanks for the info. They both look sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If you can only get one, the Ruger 45 Bisley would be my choice. Have a good gunsmith do a quality trigger job, possibly narrow the front sight to 1/10" & you will be a happy man. The extra cylinder gives you a second gun for the price of a cylinder. Can't miss.

Dick

I have S&W in both 45 colt and 1955 target in 45 ACP and Ruger convertable and the convertable gets used the most of the revolvers.

One other thing to throw at ya - I also have a Thompson Center Contender with 45 barrel well and lots of other barrels. Just saying if you don't want a revolver
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    +1 on the Blackhawk convertable--I have one of the convertable Redhawks and I like the round-butt handle but the one-cylinder-two calibers does not work for me. The shorter acp rounds are less accurate than the 45 colt.

Both will be getting the holes uniformed as they both exhibit three pair of sizes with 3 POI at 15 yds.

Yup...BH Convertible makes the most sense if you can only have one, or as the first of more to come.

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by scattershot; 03-25-2017 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Never shot one, but the Redhawk seems like more of a gimmick than a practical firearm. The Smith is a beautiful revolver, for sure, but of the ones you mention I'd go with the Bisley convertible. See if you can find one to fondle, though, just to see if you like the grip.

good luck!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    Bisley convertible would be my choice hands down

Boolit Grand Master
    If you could only have one .45 revolver.........

not to be a smart but however my 45 would be a 44mag
    way easier for me to get to shoot
    maybe if Ruger would get their 45's in order so you didn't have
    to send them here or there to fix them it would be a 45
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I've got the Redhawk on your list. Like it a lot. Basically, it's a duty-size, duty-weight revolver, with the obvious difference being the large .45 caliber holes instead of the more common .358's. It'll carry about as well as a GP-100 or L-frame, but it gives you the fat-n-heavy option.

Can't say I've truly wrung it out for accuracy with ACP's, but can say that it isn't lacking in that department. Good as any auto for casual plinking. The main pain in the butt is scrubbing out the chambers after shooting ACP's. Brownell's claims to have bore brushes for the .475 Linebaugh/.480 Ruger that would probably work great for this - haven't got around to ordering them yet.

Nice thing about a Redhawk in a light-ish gun like this - you'll run out of tolerance for recoil before the gun starts having a problem with your loads. Start with cowboy loads, work up till they hurt, dial down a skosh, DONE!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

If I wanted one revolver to suit me out of the box, it would be a S&W 629. Yes, that's a .44, not a .45. Nothing you should will ever know the difference.

If I wanted something to tinker with, and enjoyed the process, I'd get another Bisley Blackhawk .45. No need for the ACP cylinder.

Boolit Buddy

I chose an early model Vaquero on a SBH frame. I shoot target loads almost exclusively but if I wanted to up the pressure this gun can easily handle it and it still meets standards if I wanted to shoot it in sass matches.
    All that being said, I shoot my SBH 44 magnum much more than the Vaquero so the Vaquero will be sold and the money put toward another rifle I'm looking at. PM me if you are interested in the Vaquero.

Boolit Grand Master

I only have one .45 revolver and am satisfied with it - Smith and Wesson Model 3 2000. 45S&W. Good luck finding one!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening,
    I have a 45 Colt Ruger RedHawk, 4 inch, SS, and a Ruger BlackHawk 5.5" Blued and a Vaquero 4+5/8", Blued. They all shoot good. The RedHawk is my "go to" clean up is a breeze. Shoots cast really good. I can load up or down for anything I might run into. All round fun and accurate revolver. I did put a shim and spring kit in it. Remember the old saying...9mm might expand to 45cal, the 45' starts out there!
    Now, I will have to take that revolver with me this week and use it for our 30 shot short NRA round.....makes 8's into 10's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast