Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repaired Lee Auto Drum still leaks

Boolit Master

Repaired Lee Auto Drum still leaks

I started a thread called progressive press advice back in Jan that drifted at the end to me discussing probs that I was having with the Lee Auto Drum I purchased to go with my Lee Classic Turret press. I sent it back to Lee and I said I would report back on the resolution, (or lack of) when I had time. I listed the repairs they made at the end of the thread, and said that they had returned the press in about 4 days. Well, it doesn't leak IMR 4227 but it leaks AA #5 just as bad as ever. I don't know whether to send it back again or just live with it.

Boolit Master
    I have one that leaks a little of 296. Not enough to worry about, though. I did prep my auto drum with graphite powder when I got it, put it on the rack gear and on the cones and just worked it some to wear the parts together.

Boolit Master

I fashioned a powder catcher out of an 8 oz sour cream container by drilling a hole in the bottom and threading the bottom of the auto drum through it and into the extender. I caught most of the powder that spilled from loading 50 38 special and I bet it was 30-40 grains.

My Auto drum has bee working good so far. I've loaded a little over 1,000 rounds with Titegroup and it hasn't leaked a bit yet. I usually weigh about every 5th-6th charge and they've all been within a tenth of the target weight. I have it mounted on a turrent press and have found that I need to hesitate a bit when dropping the powder. If I go at my normal speed the powder charge will be several tenths light.

Denny

Boolit Master

haven't tried Titegroup yet, it's not as fine as AA#5 so it might not leak. Lee says this measure won't leak even with fine pwdr that's why I'm perturbed.

Boolit Buddy
    Good afternoon,
    I switched to the Lee Auto Drum when they first came out. I have it mounted on my Lee Load Master. I load 32 S&W Long wadcutters for bullseye with 1.7grs. of Bullseye powder. I have NO LEAKS.....Period. I have loaded over 20K of rounds and never touched it once. Just keep pouring in powder.
    I have a second one set up to use on the Lee Turret press. I have used, Trail Boss, HS-6, 231, H4895, IMR3010, Red Dot, Green Dot, LiL'Gun and several others. No LEAKS.....IMR3013 was the worst load to load variance 1.5grs. average. Which is better that my RCBS powder measure averages with IMR3013, and I don't have to "clunk-clunk" all the cases away from the press. All the rest are within .2grs. One thing that does happen with the Turret, that can't happen with the Load Master, is the movement as it turns. I did have some powder spill out when I filled the hopper full. It popper the lid up and a bit escaped. Lesson learned I only 3/4 fill the hopper when using it on the Turret press.
    The other day I grabbed the old Lee Auto Disk powder measure. It was all set up to dispense TiteWad for 357 loads with 160gr SWC. I forgot how it leaked powder, or was it always that way,and now it just seems like it leaks? After loading 400 rounds, there were 20-30 flakes on top of the turret and about double the amount on the bench. It is still an accurate case activated measure. All the loads were spot-on the original setting when I weighted every 50th reload.
    I wouldn't use anything else. The Auto Drum is the best, case activated, powder measure I have ever used. I would change drums, or adjust the tension on the nut. If that all failed.....I would use a different powder or the powder measure I was using before.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    haven't tried Titegroup yet, it's not as fine as AA#5 so it might not leak. Lee says this measure won't leak even with fine pwdr that's why I'm perturbed.
    The one I have doesn't leak any powder but that's the good part, after that it just goes down hill. Inconsistent charges (not real bad but a grain or two that can happen at any time) and yes before any one gives me grief about it being "defective", I did send it back to Lee explaining the problems. Upon return (with a list of what they replaced) I did several powder tests with it and no change. I may purchase some new drums for it and see if that helps. As of now it sits in a corner all by itself gathering dust. I know a lot (most?) seem to be having good luck with them, but my experience is such that I wouldn't trust one on a bet.

Banned

Drop 10 charges and weigh each one, and then total them all, and then divide by 10, and I bet you will be surprised, not by the accuracy of any given charge, but by the fact that the resultant will be what you were aiming for. Since I do not red-line loads, and I do not shoot in competitions , it is close enough for me, in spite of the fact that it is a +/- powder measure.

Boolit Master

Mine drops accurate charge wts, but leaks around the drum. On mine, the cup in the drum doesn't align with the throat of the measure., it's off by 1/2 the diameter of the cup. I thought this was the prob. but when it came back, it still didn't align. My main prob is that I use AA#5 for a lot of my handgun reloading in several calibers. I guess I could just use my "fix" catch the powder that spills since it throws accurate charges. I just believe things should work like they're supposed to.

Boolit Master
    I love my Auto Drum. I have twelve rotors, eleven for each charge I use and one I use for two different charges. The Auto Drum has radically simplified my life, whether I'm using it on a single stage press on on my Load Master. I hate hearing the OP is having so much trouble. Mine leaked a little initially, but not more than 20 grains total if that much. I also had trouble with the case neck sticking on the expander and causeing a chatter but chamfering the inside of the neck solved that problem. I regularly run Titegroup and Titewad through mine with no issues. I run Red Dot, Unique and 7828 again no issues. I load 32 S&W Long, 9mm Luger, 38 Special, 44 Special and Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 223, 7.42 x 39, 308, 303 British. The thing is a Cadillac in my experience.

Boolit Master
    Mine offsets like you describe the cup/drum offsetting. I think this is part of how the measure works, creating a wiping effect in rotation to keep the charges consistant. My question would be how much do you tighten the nut? I tighten mine what I'd call firm but not cranking down on it

Boolit Master
    I have 3 of the auto drum powder measures and I don't know how many drums and have never had any leaks from any of them. I mostly use Bullseye, Unique, 2400, Titegroup, AA #9,#7and 4227....

I think the leak comes from the drum and the body do not match. The Perfect powder measure and the drum are similar, but the drum will not work as a stand alone. The voids cause fine powder to collect then spill. I fixed that issue with my Lee Perfect Powder measure as I describe in this post http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...pping-The-Leak Not only did it stop the leak but now evry throw is within 1/10 grain variance of what I want. I load Winchester 231 as my standard load. Consistently I get 3.8 with an occasional error of 3.7 grains for 9mm.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 10 Auto Drums already mounted to my turrets. I use all kinds of powders from fine ball to extruded sticks. All work flawlessly and reliably. Only one powder leaks and only from one drum that's the one on my 357mag turret and only H110, 2400 doesn't leak.

I do several things to my LAD's before putting them in service. I guess I should make a list or a video or something

Boolit Master

I wiped mine with a dryer sheet in the hopper, cleaned the insides with alcohol as suggested. I am tightening till the knob stops with "normal " pressure. I'm glad to know the offset is apparently normal.

My experience on multiple forums is - operator error is generally responsible for poor performance of the Lee Auto Drum.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    This works with the PPM and AutoDisk. It should work with the AutoDrum too. Try spraying the inside with graphite or drop out. Put it on thick. Put it back together, and it should mate up after a while.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

Well flashhole, when I sent it back, they replaced a couple parts (listed at the end of my post "progressive press advice), sanded the edges of the drums never mentioned operator error. What error would you be referring to? I'm wide open for suggestions.

Boolit Master

Jimkim where do you get spray graphite?

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    My experience on multiple forums is - operator error is generally responsible for poor performance of the Lee Auto Drum.

Oh jeez, come on. What operator error ? The AD is not exactly a complicated piece of equipment, especially after removing the intricate plastic "button" and plastic arm to eliminate the auto-reset. A good cleaning and a couple hoppers of powder run through it and it SHOULD work. Maybe I received a left hand model....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast