Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repaired Lee Auto Drum still leaks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    My experience on multiple forums is - operator error is generally responsible for poor performance of the Lee Auto Drum.
    It is hard to admit.

Over tightening the drum, under tightening the drum, didn't clean the device before using, inconsistent actuation of the drum ... not rocket science for sure but look at all the threads where people admitted doing these things and corrected their actions. Cleaning is especially important.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master

My thoughts exactly bluehorse

Boolit Master

Apparently, when I sent mine back, they thought it was defective because they "fixed" some stuff. They sanded the drum faces too. Were they supposed to be sanded before it was sold? They were shiny when I bought it. Or was this an attempt to cover for a poorly fitting drum?

T-bird I use mine with HP-38 powder and get very little leakage. I get more powder flakes around my beam scale from weighing charges than I do on or around my press. I have intentions of picking up some #5 powder this weekend to try so when I do and actually use it in the drum I'll relate back my experience.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a second one because the first was a complete dud. And trust me, it wasn't operator error. Second one has been working fine w/ no leaks but has only seen occasional use. At the price point I expect there to be poorly manufactured ones. I'd buy another one and go from there.

Banned

No doubt there are some Auto Drums that will not function properly. Fortunately most do, as it is a great measure at an even greater/better price. Love the Auto Drum.

Boolit Master

Yeah, come to think of it, I used it the way they put it back together when I got it back. Used it with IMR 4227-no leaks, AA#5- leaks like a sieve. Wonder if it would help to just buy a new drum?

Banned

I have a lot of drums. That might help. The measure body might be the problem. It is easy to spend other peoples money, but for around $30, knowing what I know now, I would get another one. I heard that Midsouth had them on sale for around $21
    That is a crazy good price

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Wonder if it would help to just buy a new drum?
    Tired that w/ mine, no dice. It leaked w/ the two drums that came w/ it and the four additional I bought for it. I have not tried any of these drums in the second one. I guess I should get around to doing that :laugh:

Boolit Master

Think I may just load up enough .357 for a while, then send it back with the invoice for what they did last time, and see . Give them a chance to make it right -again.

Boolit Master
    The idea that this could be operator error is absurd. The only thing the operator does that could affect the sealing of the rotor to the measure body is the adjustment of the keeper screw for the drum. It is as fool proof a system as can be. If it's loose, the drum will be sloppy in it's seat. I don't know if it can be made too tight, I've never tried, but it would be immediately obvious to any but the most ham handed of persons. It would take some effort to screw this up. The operation of the measure is completely automatic and hands free, the rising of the case in the expander die rotates the drum, a heavy internal spring resets the drum. The only cause of leakage I can see would be a mismatch of drum size to body size, and I would think most likely be a machining fault creating too large a drum cavity in the body. Obviously without the gauging available, it would not be possible to know. I hope you find some resolution, for me this has been a tool equal in utility to the old priming tool Lee made before they screwed it up by "improving" it.

The Autodrum is the one measure I've never had any problems with...I will say I don't load rifle loads on my Lee Cast Turret (I have a classic cast single stage for that) but all my handgun stuff goes through the Autodrum with no hassles at all..I deactivated the chain/link and glad I did...The Auto Disc was like a hail storm with W231 but nothing dribbles or leaks with the autodrum..I used powdered graphite when I first got it...did a little experimenting with tightness and never an issue since.

Banned

^^^
    This

Boolit Master

Exactly, John H.

I just ran a small sample test using Bullseye powder through my AD that I just got back from Lee. Cleaned, wiped down with anti static cloth. Without giving each "throw" I'll just give you the totals, numbers were random.

3- 9.4
    6- 9.5
    7- 9.6

2- 12.0
    4- 12.1
    3- 12.2
    1- 12.3
    NO LEAKS WHATSOEVER

These were done with the measure mounted on a SS press. Weights were from my RCBS Rangemaster 750 and a Lyman D5 beam scale, both were verified with check weights. Would do some more for you but that is just boring as hell. Besides it tells me what I need to know about this measure. It's does O.K. with bullseye. I have others that do better though.

Last time I did a test run I ran 50 rounds with a set point of 4.15gr of HP-38. All 50 were weighed on a Lyman D5 scale before seating bullets. About 40 of them were between 4.1 and 4.2 with most at the set point. I had 3 that were just over 4.2 and 6 that were just under 4.1 By my judgment that is pretty accurate.

Boolit Master

Over the last couple days I loaded about 75 rnds of .357. I collected the spill in my sour cream cup "collar" that I fashioned to fit under the AD. It caught 35.9 grains of spilled #5. The cup works to eliminate the mess, the measure throws are very accurate tho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12