Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Lee 20# BP tried to kill me today

I agree with sasquatch, I have tremors and bottom pour is so much easier, worth dealing with their ( peculiarities) for me. not saying that its for everyone
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Guess I have been lucky, my Lee 10# pot has been in operation since late 1960s. have never had a problem with it and still going strong.

Boolit Mold
    I had a similar experience several years ago, but with a worse ending. First, let me say I have worked around machinery all my life, and as a result, have the philosophy that "they are all out to bite me". Because of that, I always have the pot sitting in a metal container that will contain the full pot of lead if it malfunctions. When my bottom pour wouldn't shut off, I turned the valve with a screwdriver both ways several times to no effect, then tapped the rod about 4 times, each blow being a little harder. Imagine my excitement when the valve seat popped out the bottom and the pot emptied in about 30 seconds.
    I use a Lyman Bottom Pour now. but it still sits in a metal "cake pan". I'm still convinced murphy is alive and well.

Boolit Buddy
    I got to put a pan under mine. I can just imagine 20 lbs of lead running all over everything, standing there watching in total disbelief.

Boolit Bub
    The only time I had anything like this happen was after a casting session. I unplugged the pot(Lee Pro 4,20) and started to clean up. The pot was not dripping when I walked away. I came back out to the shop the next morning and had a nice looking puddle of hardened lead under my pot. I'd left a couple pounds in the pot and every bit had drained out.

I pulled it apart and cleaned everything up and his never happened again. That pot has really never even dripped on me. I've had it for about 8 years and cast many thousands of bullets with only that one hiccup.

Boolit Master

i keep an ingot mold under my pot to catch drips.. etc.

This works somewhat for drips. But when the stalagmite gets to a certain size lead starts to splash a fair distance. I put a SS ramekin under the spout to catch drips.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    i keep an ingot mold under my pot to catch drips.. etc.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    This works somewhat for drips. But when the stalagmite gets to a certain size lead starts to splash a fair distance. I put a SS ramekin under the spout to catch drips.
    Had to google "ramekin". Ya learn something every day!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12