RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeding issues 10mm/40sw

Let me clarify:

A 1911 can be tuned to be more reliable that most other pistols due to its simplicity.

I would not run any pistol directly out of the box. Cleaning and inspection first is essential.

I would trust a new military 1911 to be reliable new, as reliable as any modern handgun.

If a Glock were taken to the tight tolerances of many custom 1911 pistols, or was made by a wide variety of manufacturers like the 1911, I would expect a high number of malfunctions.

My background is similar to yours, but inverse: I came to the 1911 after being dissatisfied by more modern designs, including Glocks.

Certainly to offense meant.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master

Thread drift.... get back to the OP.

Are your loads weak? Or standard? Hot?
    Polishing the feed ramp may help.

Boolit Master
    No offense taken. I see it as it is. And it is what it is. In my 64 years of age I have figured I have been wrong one or twice.
    Glocks are made the way they are for a reason. RUNNING plain and simple.

Boolit Master
    Again a man shouldn't have to polish the feed ramp on a gun that cost over a thousand dollars. A RI maybe but that is a 625 dollar gun.

Sir, my main point is this:

The gentleman wants to know how to make his 1911 run with his loads.

He doesn't want a Glock to run with his loads.

Therefore, we should help him get his 1911 running, not suggest a Glock.

Regards,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Thread drift.... get back to the OP.

Are your loads weak? Or standard? Hot?
    Polishing the feed ramp may help.
    Additionally, what magazine are you running? Stock Colt?

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
    Sir, my main point is this:

The gentleman wants to know how to make his 1911 run with his loads.

He doesn't want a Glock to run with his loads.

Therefore, we should help him get his 1911 running, not suggest a Glock.

Regards,

Josh
    right

Now I doubt the gun was meant to run SWCs, so it may need a bit of tuning.

Boolit Master
    You sir are right as I know nothing. But if he want something to run without dumping more money in a gun he probably already has 1200 bucks in, well he can do it if he wants. I would trade it, sell it and get a Glock and most of his headaches will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    right

Now I doubt the gun was meant to run SWCs, so it may need a bit of tuning.
    An EGW mag catch would likely help a lot.

I'd like to see a picture of the feed ramp.

Just doesn't sound like the magazine puts the round high enough, and the steep feed angle is causing random malfunctions.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    I don't think you understand. It grieves me to have to feel this way about a 1911 design. It truly does.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I don't think you understand. It grieves me to have to feel this way about a 1911 design. It truly does.
    Not a slight at all but he might just need a few adjustments to get to were he wants to go.
    Polishing is easy anybody can do it. A different brand of mag may help. Load adjustments all relatively cheap.

I like both platforms too but I can tell you my match gun runs 200 gr swc all day, but not 155's.

Boolit Master
    I'm leaving to go to Cabelas right now. I have a Glock M20 on my hip right now. Not my Kimber 10MM.

Wow.

Magazines are original colts that came with the gun, i have recently bought a mec gar but havent ran anything through it yet.

Also not interested in a glock, if i wanted a glock i would have one.

Boolit Master

Another question. Does it run with ball ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post
    Wow.

Magazines are original colts that came with the gun, i have recently bought a mec gar but havent ran anything through it yet.

Also not interested in a glock, if i wanted a glock i would have one.
    OK, and do they have wadcutter or tapered feed lips? I can't picture the magazine properly as I'm pretty stuck on .45acp right now. Love big and slow! It's like me!

Now, sir, it does sound like the bullet is hitting the ramp slightly lower than it should. Doesn't matter much with most bullet designs, but it may with the one you're using.

In 45acp, Wilson seems to hold the round slightly higher. The EGW catch I mentioned holds the magazine about 0.040" higher. In 45acp, this combination affords me a nearly straight shot into the chamber.

Can you snap some pictures of the seated magazine with a couple dummy rounds?

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    In my old Kimber 1911 it ran great with a 200 lee SWC if I used Kimber Mags and coventinal lube bullets. Powder They also ran great in my Glock21SF. Once I tried powder coated bullets it did not fit good in the Glock nor feed.

In 40 I tried the Lee 145 gr bullet and it was lousiy feeding in my G22. I suggest trying the Lee 175gr TC, it feeds great in my G22 and G35. It probally will be good in the 1911 also.

It runs with factory ammo fine, j word tc bullets.

Ill get some pictures of the ramp and the jams when i grt home later today.

Boolit Master
    "Also not interested in a glock, if i wanted a glock i would have one."

To each his own. While no design is perfect I expect more from guns that cost over a grand to buy. While I am not near as picky as my machinist friend who thinks a production gun should be made like a full custom tool and die shop model at production prices I expect a gun to run with most that is fed into it.
    If you like spending over a grand for a gun then have to do home gunsmithing to make it run I say have at it.
    I don't like to fiddle, fool and spend even more money on the gun to get it where it should be to begin with.
    Changing springs is okay as that is a simple thing and not costly. But much more I'm sorry.
    Hope you have good luck and are happy.

I thought I would weigh in with my experience. Also have a Colt Delta Elite 10mm and use the same RCBS #518 bullet. Started with 7.8 gr Accurate #5. In the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook No. 4, starting load with this same bullet and powder is 7.6 gr, max shown is 8.5. Target below is one of my better ones, 15 shots offhand, 2-handed at 50 feet. Extreme spread is about 3 1/2", 8 of the 15 touching the X-ring. I am not any Camp Perry champion by any means, but the gun, powder, bullet combo works well for me. I do notice that it requires a very firm grip to group well, more than other handguns I have. Function is reliable, no issues with misfeeds or other bobbles. I have since increased charge to 8.1 gr.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delta Elite.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	191839

Also use the same bullet in a Beretta Model 96, 40 S&W. Charge is 6.0 gr. of same Accurate #5. Below targets are from measured 60', again 2-hand offhand. The target with only 5 shots was kind of a fluke, in a good way. Probably can never repeat, but it shows what the gun, bullet, and powder are capable of. Other target is 25 shots, also 20 yds offhand, 2-hand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 shots.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	191840 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96 II.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	191841

The Beretta was initially fed factory ammo, whatever I could find cheap at a gunshow. There would be 1 or 2 malfunctions in every box, regardless of make and bullet style. When I started using the RCBS cast bullet, the gun has since run flawlessly for a couple thousand rounds. It feeds very smooth.

All this is just my experience-your results may vary. For me, the accuracy is more than satisfactory. Others may have a different standard of what is accurate.

thanks

Keyhole

Boolit Grand Master
    Let us hope this thread remains productive and not a continued pursuit of a Glock fetish.

For nosediving on the first shot from the magazine, try overall length adjustment. This may be limited by chamber throating length. Idea is to limit nosediving.

10mm/40 magazines do not appear to have taper in the feed lips. Failure to close completely could be several things, need maximum amount of info to diagnose. Excessive braking of slide return to battery momentum could be one, maybe. Does the feed "feel" rough or kachunky?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast