Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeding issues 10mm/40sw

Feeding issues 10mm/40sw

In using rcbs 10MM-200-SWC 518 for my 10mm delta elite and have been having some seemingly random failure to feeds. Thr nose jams on the feed ramp and sometimes the slide fails to close all the way. Happens with both mags, sometimes at the start of the mag sometimes at the end. I figured it was just my gun and boolit combo but i loaded some 40 sw rounds with the same boolit and fired them in a m&p and encountered the same problems.

I was also not impressed with accuracy. Tried around 6 different powders.
    Anyone using this mold with success? Any mold suggestion?

Boolit Master
    I use a NOE 200gr which has much less taper to it, and feeds fine in all my 40 cal guns. Plenty accurate, doesn't seem to care what powder is used.

Boolit Master

Check OAL and did it pass the plunk test?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned

if it's a random issue and you have eliminated the cases being mixed, or different lengths etc.

then I would look at the boolit itself.
    you might just have one cavity that isn't quite closing all the way [handles or alignment pint thing] and it is a bit larger in the exposed area.
    enough bigger to catch the nose or the area right above the case mouth.
    maybe a slightly shorter oal could fix it.
    you might catch them coming out of the lubesizer with a titch of the boolit sized where the others ain't.

They pass the plunk test in the delta, did not test them in the m&p. I have tried seating them slightly deeper and it helped, but still happened. I have not tried seperate brass headstamps. I will try that next.
    I am powder coating these and sizing to .401
    I should probably try alox lubeing them i guess.

Banned

I generally seat the swc types so that the front drive band is flush with the case mouth.
    I know that ain't how every body else does it, but I don't have short chambering rounds either.

Boolit Master
    My Glock 20 shoots the Lee TL 175gr with no issues in both 10/40 using Lone wolf barrels tl or powder coated

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I generally seat the swc types so that the front drive band is flush with the case mouth.
    I know that ain't how every body else does it, but I don't have short chambering rounds either.
    The old rule is a thumbnail thickness of the band above the case mouth. That's what I've been doing for years.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

May need to change to a TC mould.
    Whatever!

Is there really that much difference between a tc and this swc if this swc is seated deep enough? I barely even think of this mold as a swc xonsidering how 357 swc look.

Banned

not a cure for the problem but sometimes casting them harder will help. Dry water dropped ww.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    The old rule is a thumbnail thickness of the band above the case mouth. That's what I've been doing for years.
    Yep, on all my SWCs.

Boolit Master
    Clean the gun real well. Get a nice case for it. Use it as a showpiece. Go buy a Glock 10 MM and a Glock 40 and use them as a shooting gun. You can put a Dawson adjustable sight set on them if you want.
    Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Clean the gun real well. Get a nice case for it. Use it as a showpiece. Go buy a Glock 10 MM and a Glock 40 and use them as a shooting gun. You can put a Dawson adjustable sight set on them if you want.
    Problem solved.
    Dude, no.

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post
    In using rcbs 10MM-200-SWC 518 for my 10mm delta elite and have been having some seemingly random failure to feeds. Thr nose jams on the feed ramp and sometimes the slide fails to close all the way. Happens with both mags, sometimes at the start of the mag sometimes at the end. I figured it was just my gun and boolit combo but i loaded some 40 sw rounds with the same boolit and fired them in a m&p and encountered the same problems.

I was also not impressed with accuracy. Tried around 6 different powders.
    Anyone using this mold with success? Any mold suggestion?
    OK...

What brand magazines?

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    As much of a fan as I am of a 1911 handgun (and I am a huge fan) the Glock is just hard to beat as far as running without headache.
    There comes a time when one must face certain things in life and that is one.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 03-26-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    As much of a fan as I am of a 1911 handgun (and I am a huge fan) the Glock is just hard to beat as far as running without headache.
    There comes a time when one must face certain things in life and that is one.
    I've seen Glock failures. There are more ways a Glock can fail, in fact.

A properly-fitted 1911 with good magazines will not fail.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    "I've seen Glock failures. There are more ways a Glock can fail, in fact"

Oh there is no doubt because nothing is perfect.
    But let's put this way. You have a new out of the box Kimber 1911 and I have a new out of the box Glock M20 and a box each of a given brand of ammo.
    If we have a 1000 dollars on the line. If your Kimber fails to feed first you give me a 1000 bucks and if my Glock fails to feed first I give you a 1000 bucks. Who's billfold will be lighter by a 1000 bucks would you say.
    Just so you know I have a Kimber Campguard 10 and a Glock M20.
    I also have 1911 in 45 Auto and have had a few more over the years and have now 2 Glocks.
    Also an XDs in 45 Auto and a Springfield Micro Compact in 45 Auto 1911 as you know. Guess which runs as slick as snot? The old ugly black boxey stupid Glocks.
    I have disliked Glocks for years and had 2 years ago and got rid of them but now I am back with a humbled attitude.
    Being humbled is rough especially if one thinks they are mega right.

Definitely not Kimber.

I'd run that bet with a Rock Island or a Springfield Armory.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master
    I also have a RI 1911. Does Springfield even produce a 10? How many time has my clock failed with a load the RI 45 Auto won't run well. NONE. The RI will run most loads I have tried but not a couple, especially the one I like.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast