Load DataPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Powder for 300 yards ?

Powder for 300 yards ?

when doing semi long distance 30-06 shots, would i get better accuracy with a slower powder or a light charge of unique ?

i want to start shooting @ 200-300 yards but dont really know where to start as far as velocity or pressure for such distance.

the only bullets i have right now ( for distance ) are

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-tl312-160-2r.html
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Grand Master

Powder is important as to an accurate load at the desired velocity. Chronograph you loads looking for the desired velocity and also extreme spread (ES) or standard deviation (SD). As the ranges increase the ES and SD become more important to help keep vertical down. Otherwise a good accurate load will do fine. My BPCR load for 38-55 is a 365 grn bullet at 1250 fps and a ES of 12 fps or SD of 3.? This load performs good out to 500yds the issue is finding the come up for elevation for the different ranges.

Boolit Grand Master

In the 30-06 I've used 150 - 165 gr cast bullets for medium range shooting (200 - 400 yards) for many years in M1903s. I've found that the slow end of the "pistol" powders works best. I did favor SR4759 but with it's demise I now favor 2400 and 4227 with a Dacron filler and push the velocity to right around 1900 - 1940 fps.

With the capacity of the '06 cartridge, even with a Dacron filler, by the time you get the medium powders (3031, 4895, etc.) burning efficiently the velocity is too high for best accuracy at longer ranges than 100 yards.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

my two cents- I have found Unique to be fine out to 100, maybe 200; but after that it tends to get "stringy" in the vertical. I have to say it is most likely my error, but I've seen it with several BPCR type and using a chrony as well. I have never found a explanation other than my error. just sayin..

Boolit Master

Long Range Cast Bullets

i want to start shooting @ 200-300 yards but dont really know where to start as far as velocity or pressure for such distance.
    The best way to get to the longer ranges with good performance is a heavy bullet for calibre with a high ballistic a coefficient at a usable velocity. For me in the 30 calibre rifles that is a bullet of about 200 to 210 grains. The Lyman 311334, 311299 or 311284 designs when pushed at about 1,800 to 1,900 fps are great choices. There are several designs out there that will suffice though. Just go for a long and heavy for calibre bullet with a reasonably pointed or rounded nose.

Like Larry in his post above, I find that the SR 4759 is my "go to" powder for such endevours and I put away a usable amount when it was announced that they were ceasing production of it.

You might like any of the powders near 4759's burning speed to get to where you want to go. IMR 4227, IMR 4198 or Alliant 2400 will be good choices.

Two of my favorite designs for "way out there" shooting. The Lyman 311334 and the 311299.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cast Bullets-800-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf