RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The BWCA

Boolit Bub

The BWCA

I know its not backpacking but it sure is camping! I would have to say that the Boundry Waters Canoe Area is one of my favorite places in the entire world. I have always gone into the BCWA on the Ely MN, side of things, several times have been from Snowbank. Its amazing country thats for sure. Anybody else a BCWA fan? If so, where do you go?

Boolit Buddy

Mixed emotions to BWCA ... My family was very involved in logging and lumber in and around Ely before the area was declared a wilderness. A couple of great-uncles logged many miles in the woods, performed many hours of research and submitted overwhelming proof that the area was not virgin timber - one of the points used by Sierra Club and others in the wilderness area designation fight.
    While "wilderness" can sure seem cool, it's my belief that managed use benefits many more Americans.

Boolit Bub
    I wont disagree. I am very pro use in all aspects of the term. As a jeep guy fighting for land use is part of the hobby unfortunately.

Boolit Buddy

Jeep guy here, too ...

In Remembrance
    I have been a jeep guy a lot longer than a canoe guy, but like all modes of outdoor travel. 4X4, atv's, snowmachines, dirtbikes and canoes (mostly motorized) lol
    I always thought a week or two canoe trip in the BWCA would be a great getaway.

Boolit Bub
    Starmac, Says your location is fairbanks, is that fairbanks AK? If so dont you have a little wilderness area in your state of residence. Not saying a BWCA trip would be a bad idea, just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I have been a jeep guy a lot longer than a canoe guy, but like all modes of outdoor travel. 4X4, atv's, snowmachines, dirtbikes and canoes (mostly motorized) lol
    I always thought a week or two canoe trip in the BWCA would be a great getaway.

Boolit Bub
    Since this is my thread and Ill derail it if I want too. What kind of jeeps do you guys have? 47 2a here.

In Remembrance
    LOL We do have plenty of wilderness, and I will never get to explore as much of it as I would like. What I really need is a plane, a jet or air boat, a large offshore boat, a canoe, a quad, an argo (with tracks), a utility,and a cross country snow machine, and all the accessories to go with them, plus the time to use all the above. Then I would be set. lol

I know longer own a Jeep, the last actual jeep I had was a cj5.

Boolit Buddy

My brother conned my dad out of "my" (ok - "supposed to be my") 42 Willys while I was overseas in the Navy. I forgave him, but if he doesn't finish the restoration soon, I'm going to have to repossess.
    I currently have a 95 YJ and a 98 TJ.

Boolit Bub
    gkainz, you might be interested in a project going on right now at pirate4x4.com the willys forum is currently designing a simple from scratchl flat fender style body.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks - will take a peek when I get a few minutes. My uncle still has a 46 Willys CJ2A sitting out behind the barn that I think about trying to buy from him. Every time I think about it, I'm reminded of how many other unfinished projects I have sitting around and the urge fades away again.

Boolit Master

Better than most heep's, I mean jeeps, unless you run out of width on a steep canyon road. One picture shows a 4Runner trying to keep up but didn't quite make it and needed a little help. The ole 80 series does pretty good but sometimes it's just too wide on some jeep trails.

The BWCA is a real nice area but you can go overland to some very primitive campsites, if you really have a desire to bust your butt day in & day out, as there's more to it than the "modern" campsites but not many people are too keen on that idea.

Attachment 62320Attachment 62321

Boolit Bub
    The "modern" campsites? You mean the super fancy ones with a pit toilet and a fire ring? Per the US Forest Service those are the only legal ones to stay in. If I was going to buy a Toyota it would be a FJ55.

Boolit Buddy
    No jeep here, but I have been to BWCA and loved every minute of it!

Twice out of Ely. First time was late 80s. Actually got to stop by and see Dorothy on her island. Had some of her homemade rootbeer and fed her pet ducks. Great time. Many memories.

Overdue for another trip.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Anyone do white water canoe or Kayak ?

I've ran a bunch of rivers and creeks down and around NC,TN,GA ,AL , WV,Eastern KY, and the Great Smokey Mountians and up the Appalachains into PA.

Can't do it anymore,health problems but man what a great sport. At one time I owned 3 WW canoes, and 4 WW Kayaks.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master

BWCA is great! from what I have been told..I just have enough canoe rivers around here so I have never made it there. My friends and I when we were younger would do 2-3 day fishing trips down the rivers around here and camp on the sand banks. Nice sandy beaches were comfee to sleep on unless a storm was brewing.

My BWCA canoe camping

I did two 3-week BWCA canoe trips with my friend Ben in the early 70's. Both were late in the season (September), which was great since all of the summer hiker traffic was gone by then and the weather was turning cooler. One thing I remember was not having to worry about filtering water back then. You either tipped up your paddle and caught the water running down it into your mouth or stuck a jug a foot or so down in the water to get the "good stuff". No beaver fever back then to worry about. Ben brought a reflector oven and made all kinds of bisquits and cakes. I still have the Duluth pack that I used on those trips. Here are a few pics from '73, one with me holding a set of old moose antlers that I found while out looking for fire wood.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73710005.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	76446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73710006.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	76447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73710007.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	76448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73710008.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	76449

Boolit Master

My Scout troop from San Antonio TX went summer of 83', right after my Eagle and few months before I went into the Army. Had a great 2 weeks canoeing the boundary waters.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Been on Meander Lake a few times; its about 18 miles up the Echo Trail. Taught my boy, the rules of the road while moped-ing all the logging and forest roads roads off of it. Lots of great campsites and not many people once you get past the 10-12 miles or so.

Boolit Mold
    Old post I know...
    I’ve been twice and going again this June. We take Scouts up every few years. My youngest ages out of Scouts in May but we are going to go once more with them. We usually go out of snowbank. Don’t know where I’ll steer us this summer. Last time we went was during covid and we portages through Canada. Wherever we go, there better be fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast