RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to cut this into small pieces

What's the best way to cut this into small pieces

Attachment 191600Attachment 191601What's the best way to cut this into pieces to fit in my pot I don't have a cast iron pot

Boolit Master

I'll probably get flamed for this....but with a full face shield, safety glasses underneath along with gloves I use a skill saw with a regular ole carbide blade.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Hold the brick over your pot and melt it with a propane torch.

Boolit Master
    axe or hatchet and a 2-3 pound hammer.

Banned
    sawzall / jig saw -w- course blade = safer. The pot doesn't HAVE to be cast-iron, any pot that's not coated will work in a pinch, cast-iron just works better>

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Use an ordinary crosscut wood saw after loading the teeth THOROUGHLY with either Gulf paraffin canning wax or cake Ivory soap to lubricate the blade and to keep the teeth from loading up. If you use the soap method it is OK to keep a Windex bottle of plain water handy to keep the blade cool and to lubricate the cut. Keep the soap cake handy to renew the blade dressing every once in a while. When using the paraffin method if the blade isn't getting warm enough to melt the wax, you aren't using enough elbow grease. You will also need to redress the blade occasionally.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    guillotine !

Boolit Master

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Bandsaw with fast cutting teeth
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

If the pot will support it let it melt to almost full and remove with a pair of heavy channel locks set on heavy steel to cool. Or a cutoff circular saw with wax for cutting fluid. Use an old fine tooth blade cut slow and easy. A coarse cross cut blade may want to grab more. clamp it in place for the cut rather than try to hold with your hand. Wear a face shield and heavy gloves. A jig saw or reciprocating saw works good also. At work we got babbit out by the pound. came in in 10 pound bars. the crib man used a porta band and bench vise to cut the length ordered.

Cut an ingot like that once using an non-sawzall sawzall. I put a big piece of cardboard down to collect the little fragments. Took my time with a generic wood/metal blade. There were lots of little bits on the cardboard but most were recovered.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Banned
    I cut those in seconds with hardly any effort. SERIOUSLY. I have a chopping block for firewood. I put the lead on the block PLACE an axe head on the lead where you want to cut it. Hit the back of the ax with a small sledge hammer to make a deep score in the lead. Flip it over and do the same on the other side. Then put a block or something under one side and break it like a tree branch. Breaks right at the score REALLY EASILY. Takes about 10 to 15 seconds per cut once you get the hang of it.

Boolit Master

Send to me I'll melt it into ingots and send you back one

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I cut those in seconds with hardly any effort. SERIOUSLY. I have a chopping block for firewood. I put the lead on the block PLACE an axe head on the lead where you want to cut it. Hit the back of the ax with a small sledge hammer to make a deep score in the lead. Flip it over and do the same on the other side. Then put a block or something under one side and break it like a tree branch. Breaks right at the score REALLY EASILY. Takes about 10 to 15 seconds per cut once you get the hang of it.
    This works well. I prefer this to any other method. Sure it takes time and a tube of elbow grease, but it is safe and next to no mess. Sometimes it literally rips under pressure and wedge action. Certain ingots can be put in a vice and torqued with a pipewrench, they will just twist/shear the wrench must be in contact with the vice or close to ensure a proper tearing start, once you get the hang of it, it is easy.
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    Log splitter.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

I also use a very sharp wedge and sledgehammer, then break it at the line, mainly like it because there is no shavings to either pick up or waste
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    lot of good options here. besides your melting pot, what other heat source do you have access to?

Boolit Bub
    Sawzall with wood blade. Chopping axe. Bandsaw.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I once got ahold of an ammo can poured full of lead. I dremelled the ammo can off, then cut the block in half with a bowsaw. I did have to spray the saw blade with WD40 frequently.

Boolit Master

Piece of rail road rail on the side and drop the bar into the foot (edge) of the rail
    Will break the ingot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rail...3D162418876860

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 03-26-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast