Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt Holster for 1911

Boolit Master

Belt Holster for 1911

I haven't bought a new holster in 40 years. Time for a new holster for the old 1911. When I was a LEO, in uniform I carried "cocked & locked" in a typical basket weave Sam Brown type holster w/thumb break. I never felt the thumb break slowed my draw and not once did the thumb break ever sweep the thumb safety down.

The advantage I found to the thumb break is, it was one more, albeit small, prevention to someone getting your gun out of the holster when you had to physically subdue someone.

Off duty I almost always carried a different gun. Only other way I've carried the 1911 was in a vertical shoulder holster.

Most of the pancake holsters I'm seeing that have the thumb break, show the strap being long enough to snap it either over or under the hammer; that's unacceptable. Can't have it so loose and sloppy that it will go over the hammer. Has to be "snug" over the back of the slide.

I'm looking for fairly high ride, close to the body, condition 1 carry, excellent quality.

Can I get some input from those of you who carry a 1911 in condition 1 on a fairly regular basis.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Best options I have seen lately are by Bianchi and Safariland (5188?) for holsters with thumb strap retension. Alot of good kydex these days rely on retention through the molding around the trigger guard and one direction withdrawl. For kydex I go with Raven Concealment Phantoms. I have steered away from kydex outside shell with leather on the inside for the same reason. For leather, I've started stiching my own for the 1911 sans strap worn at 2:30 midride/highride with a -0- cant.

Boolit Master

I use a blackhawk brand that came with belt and paddle mount options.
    It uses a tension screw and also a separate trigger finger button for retention/release. G.I. pattern 1911

I use the same for a g26.
    'Monkey
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

Milt Sparks Versa-Max II.

Mine's going on 13 years old. Get the horsehide model.

http://www.miltsparks.com/products-versa-max-2.php

edit: It does not have a thumb break, but you don't need it. You can hang by your ankles; the gun isn't coming out of the holster unless you pull it.

Boolit Master
    From what I can tell, the Bianchi has the longer strap that is snug over the hammer and sloppy loose under the hammer.
    Don't own any plastic guns or plastic holsters, probably won't change that in the immediate future.
    Although I have the know-how and the tools to fab a holster. I've way too many irons in the fire to take on anther project.

I use a paddle holster for a smaller pistol that I've carried in the past.

Yup! The 1911 is a full size Government model and to be carried in the 4:00 position outside the waist band. Also, still want the thumb break.

Thanks for the responses thus far.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

A deplorable that votes!

Lately I have been carrying mine daily, but the holster is my own creation. It is highride though, and very tight fit, hard as kydex. No thumbsnap, I use a leather lace on the beavertail. It comes off faster than a thumbsnap, and if the bad guy is pulling up on the gun it will not come off. A little later I will post an image.

Boolit Master
    That looks like a possible Yodogsandman.

Walkingwolf got the idea. If someone is facing you, the strap is one more obstacle to their gaining control of your pistol. Would love to see a pic Walkingwolf.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Check with harley45. His white tiger leatherworks had some georgous stuff and he shows several models displayed with condition 1 1911's
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

I have one of these, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/133...r-1911-leather
    I've never carried it hammer down, as shown in the pics, so my thumb strap is still tight cocked and locked. I ordered the 7L version but they sent me the unlined, it just wasn't worth the hassle to send it back. I bought it back around 2004 and it's held up very well with my moderate use.

Boolit Master

Lucked out in the 70's and bought several original Roy Baker Pancake holsters, since have found a few in the $ 5 box in pawn shops. Other than the 2 original ******* holsters bought in Chicago in 79 for 1911 and Browning HP, about the same, use the Roy Baker' s in mild weather, ******* in the cold months and a thin kydex and carry my S&W .45 Sheild in hot months under tee shirt. Good luck.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    That looks like a possible Yodogsandman.

Walkingwolf got the idea. If someone is facing you, the strap is one more obstacle to their gaining control of your pistol. Would love to see a pic Walkingwolf.
    Just want to mention that on mine, there's no way I can get the strap over the hammer if it's down. It's very tight with the hammer back.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    I think I may have narrowed it down to the "DeSantis 1CL". The only outside waistband thumb-break holster I've found thus far, that the manufacturer states is specifically designed to carry the 1911 "Cocked & Locked".

Only comes in right hand which is fine, but also only comes in black. Not at all a fan of "black" leather.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Man
    http://www.rodekleather.com/site-map/belts

I have been carrying my 1911 in this belt slide for over a year, almost daily. It is for condition one, I also like the thumb strap. It is my favorite holster, and I have way too many to choose from, plus this guy is great to deal with.
    Life is tough......Even tougher when you're stupid

Boolit Buddy
    I have been very pleased with privateer leather. Mine do not have a strap, but I read he would do that on request. He responds to email very quickly.

Boolit Master

I'm vary happy with the holster that I got from http://www.mcssl.com/store/a9856d0de...9/owb-holsters
    this is the one that I had made http://www.mcssl.com/store/a9856d0de...45885a05d27bfb
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Milt Sparks Versa-Max II.

Mine's going on 13 years old. Get the horsehide model.

http://www.miltsparks.com/products-versa-max-2.php

edit: It does not have a thumb break, but you don't need it. You can hang by your ankles; the gun isn't coming out of the holster unless you pull it.
    +1 on the Vwersa Max by Sparks. I have used one for daily carry for close to 20 years. It will last me the rest of my life baring the unforseen.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

In Remembrance

My son gave me a Gallo thumb break 21 years ago when he and other sons gave me a 1911 for my 50th birthday. It's still in excellent condition.

Boolit Master
    Anybody have belt, holster or anything else made by 'Tucker and Byrd' in Porter, TX?
    https://www.tuckerandbyrd.com/prodde...p?prod=fp-tb-1

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Ordered the one in the in the link above. Also ordered a belt and had a question on the belt, so Saturday sent an email to the address provided. Didn't expect a response until Monday. One of the owners responded within an hour or so. Said I could specify any dimensional change I wished and the belt would be made to my specs.

Pricey, but if the material and craftsmanship is as good as the customer service I'll be a happy camper. Three to four week lead time. Can't wait to see my new belt and holster.

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast