MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Western 30 G 1906 Ammo?

Western 30 G 1906 Ammo?

Hey folks. I recently came across two cartridges that some one dropped off with a box of 30-40 Krag ammo to my station. The lady told me it was her grandpa's and after he passed they found it in the attic. It is head stamped Western 30-G 1906. It appears to be very close to the same dimensions as my 30/06 ammo. They do have a round nose vs my spitzer bullets that I currently use. Does anyone have any information about the time frame and use of these cartridges? I tried to upload a pic next to an HXP surplus round for comparison.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2611.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	191566

Thanks
    Last edited by Musket Man; 03-24-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Early smokeless headstamps can be a bit confusing...

Early commercial Krag ammunition was marked in various fashions, i.e. "30 Government", "30 Govt.", "30 US Govt", "30 USA" and "30-40".........all the same. Time frame could be from the early teens through the forties I think.

By it being head stamped "1906", I'm assuming it was manufactured for the 03 Springfield after 1906? Was the military still using 30/03's after 1906?

Thanks

Boolit Master

It's a 30-06. It's neat, but they're fairly common. The headstamp is early; they called it the ".30 caliber Government model of 1906" until they shortened it to just "30-06".

I have a bag full of brass with the same stamp, and a number of live rounds lying around. I also have a few marked 30-G 1903, that are the 30-03 round.

I always thought they were cool, even if they're not particularly rare. I'm not an expert on the subject, but expect that round dates from the '20s perhaps? It has to be the better part of a century old, but I'll bet you could chamber it in your rifle and shoot a buck with it today.
    Last edited by fatelk; 03-24-2017 at 04:34 PM.