Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at load development for .40 S&W.

Boolit Master

First attempt at load development for .40 S&W.

I admit I'm a total newbie at reloading and this is my first real attempt at developing new loads for my pistols. First attempt was with my Ruger BH Bisley in .45 Colt. Discovered that I need the cylinder worked over to be uniform and just haven't gotten around to sending the cylinder off to DougGuy to have the work done yet, so I have put that project on hold for now; no sense in developing loads when it will be completely different when I get it back...

Now for my .40 loads...

I'm amazed at just how various loads will shoot differently in different pistols. I am working on loads for my two carry pistols; a Springfield Armory XDS subcompact and a S&W M&P Compact.

The M&P is my preferred carry gun when hiking and in the woods. Normal capacity is 10rds but I have an X-Grip which allows me to use the full-size M&P magazines with 15rds.

The good news is that all loads cycled reliably in both pistols and recoil was not punishing in either one; even the hotter 180gr loads in the XDS were not bad at all.

The purpose of the 180gr cast bullet loads are for woods carry. Which worked out nicely because my M&P really, really liked them. The XDS not so much. I did some 25yd bench rest shooting and noticed the accuracy results mirrored the 7yd off-hand shooting patterns.

First up are the results with the 180gr cast bullets using an RCBS mold. Used 4.7grs of Titegroup. The M&P really liked these giving a 1.25" 5-shot group:

Attachment 192395

Then the XDS, which gave a 3" group. Worst of all my groups:

Attachment 192396

Then I tried the Hornady XTP HP with 5.1gr of Titegroup. XDS loved it and I suspect the flyer was operator induced since other groups that I didn't record were tighter...

Attachment 192397

Same load in the M&P:

Attachment 192398

Last load was the Hornady XTPs with 5.5gr of Titegroup. Hotter load and acceptable for self-defense at around 1150fps. Hogdon lists max load of 5.7gr. Only did the XDS with this load since I had shot the rest up earlier seeing how controllable it was at double-taps.

XDS at 1.75":

Attachment 192399

I really like the XTP bullets and so does my XDS, which is my everyday carry pistol. I also like the Titegroup powder but also have Unique. Haven't seen any loads using Unique except for the 180gr bullets, and since the M&P really likes 4.7gr of Titegroup, and that is close to max load and 980fps, I don't see any need to try it out.

The bad thing about the XTPs is that they are relatively expensive at about $22 per 100 locally. I cast my own bullets so I'd like to find a good plinking load using 155gr or 165gr cast bullets.

Just looking for input as to if I'm on the right track and thinking clearly or if I may have overlooked anything.

Boolit Master
    Never having loaded the .40 S&W I'm curious if it's an unforgiving cartridge to the handloader. It operates at 32,000 psi. Are your standard loads also max loads? Are you using a progressive press? I'm loading the ballically equal .38-40 but in a revolver with a large case capacity at much less pressure, it's a baby carriage to reload. I've loaded tons of 9mm and fired them out of a full sized Beretta 92 with zero problems, and 9mm is also a high pressure cartridge.

I shoot the 180 gr. lee over some bludot or power pistol. I'm down stairs and I don't remember off hand the amount but they shoot around the 950fps. I can shoot 300 rounds and not be botherd from recoil. Now this just me and I use a PX4 Storm 40 S&W. My son-n-laws m&p doesn't like that load and I have not worked one up yet for him. Some do not like the 40 but I do really like it. Just took sometime getting used to a semi auto and not a revolver. My eyes and mind did not like the idea of the slide coming back at me, just took a little extra effort on my part.
    Good luck and keep at it you are doing fine. The 40 can be a little pickie at times but just work thru it. Read lots of threads on here about the 40 lots of imfo.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think it is all that fussy to load. Due to pressure and much smaller case capacity it is way more ballistically uniform than a 38-40.

Guns run fine with somewhat reduced loads.

Jacketed HP accuracy can be hard to beat but cast does well and is a lot cheaper. Charge weights are such that larger flake powders meter acceptably. So the Unique would be an interesting experiment but the Titegroup loads seems to be working. It is sorta like smaller flake Red Dot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Never having loaded the .40 S&W I'm curious if it's an unforgiving cartridge to the handloader. It operates at 32,000 psi. Are your standard loads also max loads? Are you using a progressive press? I'm loading the ballically equal .38-40 but in a revolver with a large case capacity at much less pressure, it's a baby carriage to reload. I've loaded tons of 9mm and fired them out of a full sized Beretta 92 with zero problems, and 9mm is also a high pressure cartridge.
    I think the 9mm and .40 S&W are both relatively unforgiving when loaded to the upper end of their potential due to the high pressure, but the .40 S&W a bit more so due to the manufacturers tending to use unsupported chambers in some applications.

I use a Lee single stage and am paranoid at every step in the process, which is a good thing...

The only load I'm close to max on is the 180gr using 4.7gr of Titegroup and that's because it will be my load for hiking and exploring in the back country. I'm using Lyman #2 lead for those boolits and at a bit under 1000fps, I'm confident they'll be adequate for anything I might encounter in my normal outings. For when I go a bit further East in the woods into grizzly country, I have the .45 Colt with 300gr hard cast loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    I will say in my assessment of the cartridge I keep it separated from issues having to do with the firearm used. That will put a spin on things but the prudent guy can work around it.

Banned

yup I agree. No harder then any other round to load. Cases are dirt cheap if you don't mind once fired brass. Not much not to like
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I don't think it is all that fussy to load. Due to pressure and much smaller case capacity it is way more ballistically uniform than a 38-40.

Guns run fine with somewhat reduced loads.

Jacketed HP accuracy can be hard to beat but cast does well and is a lot cheaper. Charge weights are such that larger flake powders meter acceptably. So the Unique would be an interesting experiment but the Titegroup loads seems to be working. It is sorta like smaller flake Red Dot.

Boolit Master
    I, along with tens of thousands of USPSA shooters reload the 40 S&W. It's a VERY popular caliber there. I see every kind of bullet you can imagine used. Cast, plated, moly, & jacketed. Accuracy, just like all reloading can be easy or hard,, depending upon the individual gun.
    One suggestion for you if you get a lot of unknown range brass. Buy a Redding push through sizing die. It removes the base "bulge" from the guns with the slightly unsupported chambers.

Moderator Emeritus

Chalk up another user with the Lee 175 and Power Pistol.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I think all the issues people had with 40, was just running them to hot. I have stuck with data in books and never had an issue. That glock unsupported barrel led to alot of it. You saw it way less in other brands. I dont own a progressive, so never had an issue with double charges or anything. Shooting cast, not had any problems. All my 40 cals will shoot the same ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    I, along with tens of thousands of USPSA shooters reload the 40 S&W. It's a VERY popular caliber there. I see every kind of bullet you can imagine used. Cast, plated, moly, & jacketed. Accuracy, just like all reloading can be easy or hard,, depending upon the individual gun.
    One suggestion for you if you get a lot of unknown range brass. Buy a Redding push through sizing die. It removes the base "bulge" from the guns with the slightly unsupported chambers.
    Very good to know. I was on a law enforcement agency which used the .40 S&W more than any other cartridge. We talked about reloading for it but no one did, because .40 S&W practice ammo was issued in bulk. Also, almost all the .40 S&W guns were issued and we didn't want to shoot reloads in Dept. issued guns.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are doing a heck of a good job. Keep it up.

Do your accuracy testing at 25 yards off a rest. You want confidence in your load if you need to make a longer shot to deal with either 2 or 4 legged "critters". Most people cannot shoot a 1.5" group at 7 yards so you are doing well.

Service guns are not target guns. If you get a load that will consistently group under 4" at 25 yards, that is about normal. Under 3", is excellent. More important than accuracy is reliability. If you use reloads for SD, stay with once fired cases. Check them all with a case gauge or use the plunk test. (BTW, I use Gold Dots in the 9, and Golden Sabre in the .40 for SD as saving money on bullets for SD not important to me) I run a bit larger sized diameter bullet (.002") in cast than jacketed bullets to reduce leading. That can affect function in a tight chamber. I have one gun (Kimber) that would not function 100% with cast bullets unless I size them down further. YMMV
    Don Verna

Another 40 fan here .....
    with the status of "high pressure" round , some stay away from reloading it seems ...
    for me it became a challenge as I came into a Keltec P-40 .
    very small pistol and with the feed back from the general public , Keltec quit making them , I liked the little gun.
    the gentlemen here all have it down with there points to consider , they have made it work very nicely.
    I picked up a lighter spring set from Wolf spring company first off and then went to lighter bollets , my favorite from Miha is his 135 gr. Hp, penta .. with lighter loads of WST or Clays , the little shooter if fun now .
    Came into a Keltec Su 2000 carbine in forty and it loves them also besides being accurate.
    Now the older Ruger P-91 .... that is a different story .. can use it for a hammer when I put up the target sheets ...(unloaded of course !) .....
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    A local gunsmith showed a pistol similar to the Kel Tec, not the Kel Tec which blew up on him with factory American made ammo. It was a .40 micro pistol with a polymer frame. This gunsmith stated that the market drives firearms manufacturers to make ever increasingly smaller, lighter and more powerful pistols. Parts of the blown gun were photographed stuck to the ceiling of the indoor range. The gunsmith was not injured.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    @Idaho45guy,

Here are some loads I have made using 180 gr XTP bullets seated at 1.125":

6.3 gr Silhouette
    7.1 gr HS-6
    5.8 gr Unique
    7.0 gr Power Pistol
    6.3 gr Herco

I shoot these out of a 4.5" Springfield Armory XDm

Enjoy,
    Marshall
    Thanks! I haven't used the 180gr XTPs yet, but I assume my cast should be the same. Any idea of the FPS or pressure of those recipes?

I load .40 for my SR40C which is similar in size and capacity to your M&P compact. Ive used Berrys 165gr plated and 180gr cast and PC-coated.

Ive used TG and Unique but my favorite 40 powder is Win Superfield (WSF) which is similar in burn rate to Herco.

4.8gr cast and coated 180s give good accuracy. 1.150 OAL

5.8gr is max with a 180gr XTP

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My Glock 22 with LWD barrel does great with a Lee 401-175-TC over 4.1 grains Bullseye or 4.3 grains HP-38. I see no need at all to increase the charge, a 175 grain slug just doesn't need that much speed to get the job done at typical pistol ranges.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    This thread was helpful, thanks. Just acquired an M&P 2.0 full size 40. My first 40, I really enjoy it and this is good info on getting started reloading for this cartridge.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    Attachment 192579

Here is an extract from my reloading notebook. Its small in the message, but will expand to a readable size if you click on it.

Marshall
    Thanks!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    This thread was helpful, thanks. Just acquired an M&P 2.0 full size 40. My first 40, I really enjoy it and this is good info on getting started reloading for this cartridge.
    This whole site has been amazingly helpful in my journey these past few months in reloading!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast