Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your favorite powder trickler?

Boolit Master
    I got tired of hanging onto my old RCBS aluminum powder trickle with both hands to keep it from rocking back and forth, and sliding around on the top of my bench while I turned the knob.

Random Google image of someone using both hands to hold one below.

So I filled the bottom of my RCBS powder trickle up with molten lead alloy,
    (I removed the plastic pieces first of course) giving it some much needed ballast.

I'm pretty sure that I am not the first person to have done this modification.

In addition to the lead, I also added a small square piece of old mouse pad to serve as a non skid bottom. Adding the lead ballast to my older RCBS powder trickle made it a lot more user friendly.

With both the lead weight on the bottom and the non skid base, the trickle hardly moves at all while it's being used. It can easily be operated single handed now without sliding around, and is much less likely to get knocked over by accident.

I also found a black silicone wine carafe lid, that fits the opening on top. It makes a nice dust cover for the powder trickle when it's not in use.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Mold
    This is what I use... http://www.omegapowdertrickler.com/s...tion.html#2949

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I made mine from an old aluminum arrow and a pair of pvc caps. Filled the bottom cap with shot and sealed with rtv. Sealed the high end of the arrow shaft with rtv as well, and used rubber bands to hold the arrow shaft in place. Works like a charm.

Boolit Master
    Redding #5

It's a nice, solid chunk of heavy cast iron and works like a champ!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwolf View Post
    I got tired of hanging onto my old RCBS aluminum powder trickle with both hands to keep it from rocking back and forth, and sliding around on the top of my bench while I turned the knob.

Random Google image of someone using both hands to hold one below.

So I filled the bottom of my RCBS powder trickle up with molten lead alloy,
    (I removed the plastic pieces first of course) giving it some much needed ballast.

I'm pretty sure that I am not the first person to have done this modification.

In addition to the lead, I also added a small square piece of old mouse pad to serve as a non skid bottom. Adding the lead ballast to my older RCBS powder trickle made it a lot more user friendly.

With both the lead weight on the bottom and the non skid base, the trickle hardly moves at all while it's being used. It can easily be operated single handed now without sliding around, and is much less likely to get knocked over by accident.

I also found a black silicone wine carafe lid, that fits the opening on top. It makes a nice dust cover for the powder trickle when it's not in use.

- Bullwolf
    Nope, you weren't the first one to full the bottom with lead. I did it in the early 80's. I also drilled and countersunk several screws to keep the lead from moving/falling out and I polished it to a high sheen.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Nope, you weren't the first one to full the bottom with lead. I did it in the early 80's. I also drilled and countersunk several screws to keep the lead from moving/falling out and I polished it to a high sheen.
    After my poured lead bottom weight cooled, I turned the powder trickle upside down, and a nice hourglass shaped lead ingot slipped out the bottom of my powder trickle into my hand.

Instead of drilling & screwing it back in...(I'd already read how you did it)

I painted the lead chunk with contact cement, and pressed the nicely moulded lead ingot back in. It's held there fine ever since.

- Bullwolf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123