Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite powder trickler?

Boolit Buddy

What's your favorite powder trickler?

I typically just use a casing full of powder as a trickler, but I recently accidently charged my "trickler case" resulting in a low puff of a charge so I think I need to change my mode of operation and actually get a real trickler. Reading reviews for the various tricklers available from Midway doesn't really help because each one has negative reviews saying they're a piece of ****.
    FWIW, I usually throw my charges (rifle, mostly) through a measure a couple of tenths of a grain short and then trickle up to the desired charge while measuring on a 10-10-10 balance scale.

What's your favorite?

Boolit Grand Master

My fingers. Wash hands, pick up a pinch, and drop a little. Been doing it that way for 30+ years.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    My fingers. Wash hands, pick up a pinch, and drop a little. Been doing it that way for 30+ years.
    Believe me, I've done my share of that!

An old plastic medicine bottle, a piece of brass tubing and a couple of O-rings. Cost me nothing and works for what I do.

It's heavy cast iron...it doesn't slide around when you trickle...
    The black knob is from a 2000 Chevy truck radio...it'll just snap right on the trickle knurled knob and you can spin it with your finger.
    The red cap...I have no idea where that was originally used, I found it in a parking lot...could have come off a car battery side terminal model, a protector of the bolt/post for shipping.

Attachment 191565
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

If it helps, I have an RCBS one, one of the new light ones. I packed the bottom with lead and modeling clay. Weighted it down and now it's rock solid.

Also did the same thing with the base of the 5-0-5 scale. packed the base full of lead scrap and clay. That's rock solid now too and doesn't budge a bit.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    If it helps, I have an RCBS one, one of the new light ones. I packed the bottom with lead and modeling clay. Weighted it down and now it's rock solid.

Also did the same thing with the base of the 5-0-5 scale. packed the base full of lead scrap and clay. That's rock solid now too and doesn't budge a bit.
    Aha! Good idea on the scale. And mine's a 5-0-5 too, instead of the 10-10-10 (I must've been thinking about fertilizer due to it being Spring time!)

Boolit Master
    Tapping an old silver spoon or a push-button battery powered Frankford Arsenal trickler if more than 10 cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a vibra shine electric trickler I like a lot with smokeless powders. For black powders its a slushy straw with the little spoon on the end pick up a small amount and tap over pan. I have an rcbs and one I made that work but with certain powders they arnt as good. powder dribbles but may come out in a clump at times.

Boolit Master
    Either my Redding or if I'm feeling froggy a Lee dipper. Just tap lightly until you get what you need.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Super Moderator

Since it's the only one I have, RCBS. Iv'e had it forever and it works great.

Moderator Emeritus

BION, I years ago morph'd from and with my vegetable gardening ! To wit, I came across a less-than-$5.00 device for dropping teeny-tiny seeds, and by golly -- for me -- it's the best for delicately adding mini-smidgeons of smokeless powder. It even comes with four different baffles, which you may change to complement the type/size of powder you're dispensing. The one I have, albeit an older version, may be viewed at https://www.gurneys.com/product/seedmaster
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

Fired case , rolled between thumb and finger. Old school.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had various powder tricklers over the years, and always got dissatisfied with them. The last one is an RCBS that I keep so I won't waste my money on another one.

What I found works the best for me is either a teaspoon borrowed from the kitchen or one of the Lee powder dippers.

Robert

Boolit Master

I recently got a Frankfort Arsenal and really like it. Very heavy base and a rubber cup that doubles as a cap when not in use and slips over the bottom so it doesn't slide around at all.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned
    My old RCBS trickler has a bunch of lead added to the base. I drilled a hole into the base and screwed in a sheet metal screw and then filled the bottom with lead. It works great.

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS, it's old, price on box says $3.99.

Boolit Buddy

Hornady plastic one. Too light. Filled bottom cavity with bullets and sealed it with form-a-gasket. Works great now.

Boolit Bub
    I also recently got a Frankford Arsenal trickler, I was quite surprised for the price, very heavy and doesn't move at all. Even my dad who requires everything on his bench to be green liked mine well enough that he bought one off amazon.

Boolit Buddy
    rcbs with lead in the bottom only one i have ever had, and have not need to try another make.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast