Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 200 grain SWC

Lee 200 grain SWC

Need a little help, please.
    I'd like a nice go to .45 ACP load for my 1911s and haven't found one that runs them all and is accurate.
    I live in the city and it's a pain to load up a few test rounds, run to the range, etc.
    What I have is, Lee .45 ACP cast in 230 RN and 200 SWC, mixed range brass, CCI LPP,
    Power Pistol, CFE, Trail Boss, Bulls Eye and Tite Group. Press is a Lee Classic Turret.

Tried search and couldn't glean much, so, thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    For the Lee 200 grain SWC, Tite group is a good one and at 5 grains as is 4.5 grains of Bullseye.

Boolit Mold
    I used the 200swc on all my 45acp reloads, used 5 gn of Bullseye, ran through all my 1911's with no problem. Very accurate if you do your part

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

200 SWC with 5 gr Bullseye. My go to load for 40+ years.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Another one 5 gr Bullseye accurate cuts clean holes in the target.

Thanks for all the replies!
    I may have a OAL situation and just need to seat a little deeper.
    I've some test rounds of 4.2 gr. Trail Boss at 1.175 and I'll press a few with Bulls Eye at this length too.

Boolit Master

I use WST in my .45 ACP rounds. Smells better than Bullseye and I managed to pick up many pounds of WST a few years ago for a very good price.

I picked up some IMR Target yesterday that I'm going to try.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Buddy

Max OAL is 1.275. I load that bullet to 1.255-1.265. I use Wilson mags and I followed their recommendation on OAL. They feed flawlessly. I've also found that a throated barrel is a big plus with the 200 SWC cast. That shoulder causes problems in some barrels if they aren't throated. It is an extremely accurate round.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I may have a OAL situation and just need to seat a little deeper.
    I've some test rounds of 4.2 gr. Trail Boss at 1.175 and I'll press a few with Bulls Eye at this length too.
    I am assuming you have a non-existence throat in your pistol(s) and that's the reason for a short COAL. Many new auto's just don't come from the factory anymore with a cast friendly cut throat. Considering the short COAL, I would drop the starting charges to 4.5 grains with bullseye and go to the minimum charge of Tite Group too 4.8 grains. Do you have a chronograph?

No Cronograph. It's becoming clear as to what my problem might be.

Which Lee 200gr. SWC do you have? The tumble lub. did not feed good in my1911s at any length .the H&G style Lee SWC at 1.250" feed 100% in both my Colts. I use Bullseye, Titegroup, or Bullseye 86, all work great. Watch Titegroup pressures jump quickly when bullets are seated deep.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

It is the tumble lube.

Boolit Master
    The tumble lube SWC design is short and stubby so the shorter COAL isn't as bad as it sounds vs the longer traditional lube groove 200 grain SWC. I would still work at the minimum charge and go from there.

I'm going to study on it a bit. My CZ does great, my custom with the Les Baer barrel is feeding OK but all over the place on accuracy and my SIg will not feed well at all.

Boolit Buddy

Use WST. If you don't get good groups with a 200 SWC, you have a gun problem.

Boolit Buddy
    DougGuy can solve all your 1911 throat problems muy pronto.

Boolit Buddy
    For years now I've been using 7.0 grains of IMR800X with 200 grain SWC and 230 grain cast SWC/RN cast boolets lubed with Javalina Alox lube. Match grade accuracy with the 200 grain bullet @ 938 fps and groups into less than three inches at fifty yards off sand bags. The 230 grain lead bullets are almost as accurate as the 200 grainers at the slower speed of 840 fps. My .45 ACP is a 1911A1 from 1945 and is bone stock. I have new bushings and springs but I never used them as it shoots just fine right now.

358 Win

The long 200gr. SWC { H&G # 68 style} was made to feed in an unaltered 1911. It usually works best at 1.240" to 1.260" OAL. My tumble lub. mold cast small ,.450 -451" and caused problems with setback when feeding. I went to the #68 style mold sized .452" . My groups got smaller and feeding problems stopped
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

I use 4 grains of Red Dot or Promo over a 200 gr SWC and it runs well in every .45 ACP I've tried it in. Healthy but not quite factory loads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    200 SWC with 5 gr Bullseye. My go to load for 40+ years.

Larry Gibson
    ^^^ this ^^^
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast