Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: RCBS 357 SIG mold

Boolit Master

RCBS 357 SIG mold

Is there a mold from the RCBS line that can be used successfully in a .357 SiG u could recommend

Boolit Master
    I use the Lyman 147 gr, and they sell it in a 124gr HP. I also use a NOE 158gr/145fr HP in my 357 sig. Neither will work at the book spec length, but will fit in the mag and do a plunk test.

Boolit Master
    The most important attribute of a 357 Sig bullet is that it have a decent amount of parallel side area so there's enough surface to grip the short case neck. Of all the RCBS molds this one looks like the best choice http://rcbs.com/Products/Bullet-Cast...RN-TG-115.aspx

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0533.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	191701
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I use the Lyman 147 gr, and they sell it in a 124gr HP. I also use a NOE 158gr/145fr HP in my 357 sig. Neither will work at the book spec length, but will fit in the mag and do a plunk test.
    are the lyman molds u mentioned bevel based bullets?

Boolit Master
    Yea the lyman 147 gr is bevel base.

Boolit Master
    Yea the lyman 147 gr is bevel base.
    ive never used a bevel base bullet.What is the purpose and what if any problems are associated with them?
    Perhaps I would like to go to a little heavier bullet in the SIG.What are your thoughts on the RCBS 147 grainer for the SIG.Looks like there may be enough bearing surface for the neck. Your thoughts?

https://www.buffaloarms.com/9mm-147-...mould-rcb82077
    Last edited by barnabus; 03-27-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    The 147 gr is generally a bit long, a flat base can flare the case out, the 9mm was never designed for 147gr. The bevel the base, even the XTP is that way so it wont flare the case. 357 sig it doesn't matter, the bevel is below the neck. That Lyman shoots fine in my various 9mm.

I also use an NOE 360 158gr/145gr HP mold, just size them down for a 9mm, use them in my 357 sig.

Boolit Master
    The 147 gr is generally a bit long, a flat base can flare the case out, the 9mm was never designed for 147gr. The bevel the base, even the XTP is that way so it wont flare the case. 357 sig it doesn't matter, the bevel is below the neck. That Lyman shoots fine in my various 9mm.

I also use an NOE 360 158gr/145gr HP mold, just size them down for a 9mm, use them in my 357 sig.

ok so since I'm talking about a 357 SIG will the 147 work? The SIG jacketed bullet weights that are out there are 124 grain and 147 grain.Plz clarify if you will for me.

Boolit Master

The thing you have to worry about with 357 Sig is the COL, lots of good molds won't work as the length of the ogive on the nose doesn't allow proper purchase at the end of the case on the boolit. If the boolit sets back into the case at feeding due to this it can have catastrophic results. I have a 357 Sig barrel on its way for my XD Subcompact mod.2. I have found my Accurate Molds 147Y doesn't have the proper profile to work at the suggested COL for the 357 Sig however I will be testing the Lee 125 .358 boolit, I do not like this boolit in the 9mm as it requires a short COL but should be perfect for the 357 Sig.