Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making ANew Sling For My Hawken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Just stating facts.
    Its fine Waksupi, I've been called a lot worse than a flat lander pilgrim. I'm not offended. I apologize for my post sounding so rude. That wasn't my intention.

I know you're stating facts. However it does get under my skin when someone is laughed at or put down at a shoot because of the rifle they have. A lot of people don't have the means to own a custom rifle like some do. That doesn't give people the right to snicker at someone and make them feel humiliated because they got a old CVA or TC, and decorated it in a style someone doesn't like. That's unacceptable behavior. They probably worked really hard, saved up, and got the best they could afford. If you were on the receiving end of that would you want to come back? Traditional elitists tend the be the first ones to stand up and say "hey look at what I have", "check out my buckskins" and the fastest and most used is "that's not period correct ". I don't have time for that BS. I would rather make friends. I want to see everyone succeed and have fun.

We get attacked enough from the outside forces of gun control groups, anti hunting groups, PETA and many others. We don't need to look down on another and fuss amongst ourselves because of their rifle or how they decorate it. Inline, percussion, or flintlock. Thats like the cool kids picking on the ones not in their click in high school. Everyone isn't like me. I'm not concerned about whether someone likes my gun. I'm concerned about how it shoots. Ones weapon is an expression of a persons individual taste. They have been since the invention of weapons. Men decorated their weapons to personalize them, to show their likes, to be noticed, some even told a story with decorations and carvings.
    Last edited by jjarrell; 03-27-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Perma-Banned
    anybody that wants to get an attitude about my T/C's or my CVA Mountain Rifle ain't anybody that I'd care about their opinion anyway. luck with yer project & have a good'en, bubba.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Haha, Life is too short for me to worry about what you do with your stuff. I'm busy having fun over here playing with my stuff. Like 2 kids in the sandbox, one has a dump truck and 1 has a bulldozer, they are both having fun, who cares. I never did the dress up period correct thing. I dont have enough time and money for all my hobbies now. Im the guy at the rendezvous in jeans and a T.

I still want to see the sling under way and completed. I have a friend with a CVA Bobcat, plastic stock... But it was his grandpa's... and has gotten him into muzzleloading. I cant imagine saying anything that would discourage him.

Boolit Buddy
    You know? As bitter as these words are. I reckon a man never choked on his pride. For the life of me I can't get these fox tails to look like anything worth a hoot on a sling. They are just too damn bushy. Beautiful, but too bushy. I can't bring myself to trim them back. I think they will find a more appropriate home on my Harley. Saddlebags maybe. Not sure yet. I'm not giving up but the fur has to be shorter for a sling. Maybe fur on cowhide. Short nap deer hide. I don't want brown. Something different, I don't know. I've got this in my head............just can't be with fox tails.
    Last edited by jjarrell; 03-31-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Perma-Banned
    if yer determined to have a furry sling rabbit, muskrat, mink or somethin' similar would likely be better choices.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    Here's an ugly child I picked up a few years ago....
    Eddie, I would agree that that's one ugly child and yet it's still cool because of it's uniqueness. How's it shoot?

Boolit Master
    I guess I make use of whats produced on my trap line/woods walk , and they seem to work so the cats out of the bag Attachment 192278Attachment 192279

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe a couple squirrel tails instead. But they would be brown

Boolit Buddy
    if someone knows where I can come by a piebald deer hide. Now that may be something to work with. Matching possibles bag might be nice too.

Boolit Master
    Thats what my photo shows ,about 60% white after tanning hair on I shortened hair for straps ,That 1bag used most all of the hide . I"ll keep you in mind if I kill another one

I would suggest, Shoot a deer, and use that hide. Be a better story.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Maybe a couple squirrel tails instead. But they would be brown
    We have black and grey squirrels around here. You could also die hair and get any color you want. Check out the fly tying department for idea's. They sell all kinds of died hair and feathers for tying flies.

Any more progress on the sling?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12