WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making ANew Sling For My Hawken

Boolit Buddy

Making ANew Sling For My Hawken

I'm making a new sling for my Hawken. Im taking a leather lace-on sling and I'm going to sew 2 very nice silver fox tails to the strap end to end with black polyester sinew. This isn't my rifle but it is a stock picture of the sling. The picture of the silver fox tails are the two tails ill be using. The tails have been tanned and have had the inerds removed. I sure hope it turns out how I see it in my head. Hopefully it will look really good. I'll know soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	191532 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	191533

Perma-Banned
    I can't even get my head around imaginin' what that's gonna look like but, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Boolit Master
    I sent you a PM.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    I can't even get my head around imaginin' what that's gonna look like but, I wish you all the luck in the world.
    My plan is to split the tails open, trim them to fit the strap, and then sew them lengthwise to the outer side of the sling strap. I don't plan on having fox tails hanging off the sling like a car antenna. I have no idea how it will turn out, but I'm gonna take my time and see how she goes.

Im looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    My plan is to split the tails open, trim them to fit the strap, and then sew them lengthwise to the outer side of the sling strap. I don't plan on having fox tails hanging off the sling like a car antenna. I have no idea how it will turn out, but I'm gonna take my time and see how she goes.
    yeh, I had a general idea of what yer plan was. I'm interested to see how it turns out too 'cause my feeble little mind just can't picture how it'd look.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You Must not hunt in rain or snow!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Perma-Banned
    that was actually my first thought, I bet that thing'd be a booger if it ever gets wet.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    that was actually my first thought, I bet that thing'd be a booger if it ever gets wet.
    Might give a more realistic meaning to a 'Drowned Ratt'

I never considered how it would hold up to inclimate weather. Still be pretty I bet though. Wonder how something like beaver or mink skin would hold up to water?

Boolit Buddy

With that waving around I hope it doesn't draw artillery fire in the woods

Boolit Master
    Im thinkin a couple of #2 legholds will do er

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure how it will hold up to weather either but I kinda figure it this way. By the time it gets wet, I'll be just as wet as it is. At least on the outside anyway. I'll be out in the same rain and snow that it is.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I never considered how it would hold up to inclimate weather. Still be pretty I bet though. Wonder how something like beaver or mink skin would hold up to water?
    If you spend as much time grooming it after it is wet as a mink or beaver does, it should be just fine.

I will say, make it and take it to a shoot, you will immediately be branded as a flat land pilgrim.

Wait a minute. Black polyester thread? I think we've been taken on a sucker play. If you are serious and MUST do this, get some linen thread from a saddle or shoe shop.
    Last edited by waksupi; 03-25-2017 at 12:27 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    You know I don't recall saying "can I" one time. I said "I am". If someone is concerned about people looking down their noses, or being labeled at a rendezvous that's on you. Or maybe you're at a shoot with the wrong kind of people. I don't care if you shoot a pink and purple inline as long as you're enjoying our fine sport of muzzleloading. Live and let live. You're welcome at my campfire. Sit down and have a cup of coffee or a beer. Whatever tickles your fancy.

God forbid a man use animal skins for anything to do with a "traditional" gun. I'm certainly not the first to do it, I can assure you of that. Speaking of "traditional" guns, might I add? ALL, EACH AND EVERY ONE, ARE BUILT WITH MODERN STEELS, AND MACHINED TO MODERN STANDARDS. With the exception of maybe 3-4% of the muzzleloaders out there, not one barrel is made by a blacksmith anymore. If that many.

I'll leave you all with these two things. First, if the sling I make for MY rifle provides you with amusement or a chuckle, so be it. I'm ok with that. There's not enough laughter in most people's lives and a good chuckle is good for everyone. I'm glad I could bring a brief smile to your face.

Second, to the "traditionalists" that are offended by it. All I can say is, suck it up cupcake and move on. I'm going to do what I want. Your opinion would first have to be of some value to me for it to be of any consequence.

Perma-Banned
    simply by makin' the post that you did, you invited people to share their thoughts & comments on it. so, either grow a bit of hard bark & get over it or consider yer sensitive feelin's before makin' posts such as this in the future that invite such comments.

best of luck with yer project & have a good'en neighbor, bubba.

Boolit Master
    I think it will look great even in the rain. Of course hunting with a front stuffer in a rain storm really would be putting the odds in favor of the game even with a cap lock.
    Here's an ugly child I picked up a few years agoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6699.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	191699 The stock had been cut down and bubba'd with dry wall screws holding the trigger assembly and guard on.
    I ended up turning it into a trade/indian gun with copper tacks and a leather slingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6709.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	191700with black nylon tassels to pretty it up a bit. Guess I'm saying that unless the gun is a real collector piece I can't see any reason not to change it around, just don't put a rail, tripod and a tactical butt stock with a black paint job on a muzzle loader, that's taking it too far.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    I think it will look great even in the rain. Of course hunting with a front stuffer in a rain storm really would be putting the odds in favor of the game even with a cap lock.
    Here's an ugly child I picked up a few years agoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6699.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	191699 The stock had been cut down and bubba'd with dry wall screws holding the trigger assembly and guard on.
    I ended up turning it into a trade/indian gun with copper tacks and a leather slingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6709.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	191700with black nylon tassels to pretty it up a bit. Guess I'm saying that unless the gun is a real collector piece I can't see any reason not to change it around, just don't put a rail, tripod and a tactical butt stock with a black paint job on a muzzle loader, that's taking it too far.
    Why, if you took that to a shoot with nylon tassels they would call you a flatlander pilgrim, horse whip you, then tar and feather your butt! LOL Seeriously though I like it. Nice job.
    Last edited by jjarrell; 03-25-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm looking for some horse hair to replace them funny looking tassels with, it's a wall hanger right now and with that short barrel I don't think it could lob a round ball out to 100 yds at a shoot. I would remove them funny looking tassels if i was going rendezvous with it. It was a just for the fun of it build with a 50 dollar gun. A little tar and feathers would give it a nice patina

Quote Originally Posted by jjarrell View Post
    You know I don't recall saying "can I" one time. I said "I am". If someone is concerned about people looking down their noses, or being labeled at a rendezvous that's on you. Or maybe you're at a shoot with the wrong kind of people. I don't care if you shoot a pink and purple inline as long as you're enjoying our fine sport of muzzleloading. Live and let live. You're welcome at my campfire. Sit down and have a cup of coffee or a beer. Whatever tickles your fancy.

God forbid a man use animal skins for anything to do with a "traditional" gun. I'm certainly not the first to do it, I can assure you of that. Speaking of "traditional" guns, might I add? ALL, EACH AND EVERY ONE, ARE BUILT WITH MODERN STEELS, AND MACHINED TO MODERN STANDARDS. With the exception of maybe 3-4% of the muzzleloaders out there, not one barrel is made by a blacksmith anymore. If that many.

I'll leave you all with these two things. First, if the sling I make for MY rifle provides you with amusement or a chuckle, so be it. I'm ok with that. There's not enough laughter in most people's lives and a good chuckle is good for everyone. I'm glad I could bring a brief smile to your face.

Second, to the "traditionalists" that are offended by it. All I can say is, suck it up cupcake and move on. I'm going to do what I want. Your opinion would first have to be of some value to me for it to be of any consequence.

Just stating facts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast