RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard cast PC'd 55 gr .223 with H335

Boolit Master
    I'm working with the Lee 55gr RF. I'm using HF red PC. So far I haven't shot anything hotter than 19gr H-4895.

This boolit relies on the gas check for rear bearing surface. Without the gas check there is only a small band of bearing surface in the middle of the body. I tried some without gas checks and the groups were about 20" at 50 yards. Shooting them without gas checks did not cause any problems whatsoever with the rifle. There was no fouling at all they just simply don't shoot accurately.

I'm thinking about removing the gas check diameter from the mould making it a non-check design. The PC has no problems with loads in this range.

I'm shooting a 16" 1-9 twist. Up until today 18gr H-4895 was my most accurate load with checks of course but today I tried 17gr and 17.5gr and the 17.5gr looks like it may be best. But even it isn't anything to brag about.

It all seems like a lot of work just to make a cast shooting 2000fps semiautomatic rifle that has mediocre accuracy. But hey, it's all just for fun. Right?

Motor

So for 223, if you PC them (with no gas check), there is no leading, just worry about accuracy? I've been getting everything I need to PC for my 300 Blk for the upper I built but my original came with a 5.56 upper so this is relevant to my interests. I am going to have to buy a 22 cal mold now. Man, dollars add up quickly with this hobby haha!! There are so many facets to this that I am going to be learning things for a long time...actually, scratch that, learning forever!! Thanks for the great info!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Boolit Buddy
    I ran some this past weekend with and without gas checks and Winchester 748 and did not see any major difference in accuracy at 100 yards. 19 gr of 748 gave me about 2 1/2 in group, but going to drop the charge to see if I can get it to tighten up some. I went up to 23gr and accuracy got worse, probably about 6-8 inch groups at 100 yards. All cycled fine, so I think I will do some testing with 17-19gr to see if groups tighten up and still cycle.

Mold is the Lee 225-55 6 cavity, PC and sized to .225 in Lee push through sizer.

Attachment 193999

Boolit Mold
    I'm getting 3"-4" groups at 50 yards with 23gr of 748. 2350fps, cycle good. I'm going to try and back it down and hope it tightens up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Mold
    On the same note as this. Can anyone tell me what my oal should be with these cast 55gr boolits?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaineD View Post
    I'm getting 3"-4" groups at 50 yards with 23gr of 748. 2350fps, cycle good. I'm going to try and back it down and hope it tightens up as well.
    Glad I found this, I'd had a damned'able time trying to get Lee 55's to print worth a S#!t. I even sold the mold I had, I was so frustrated, but I had a couple hundred checked and PC'ed stored. Every load I tried it printed like a shotgun at 10 yards.
    with the shortage of ammo and components I wanted to finally see if I could get Cast 223 to fly straight. So I looked, and I ran across these loads.

I was able to load up 23.5 to 24.0gr of 748 under the Lee 55 GC PP and NOE 65 GC and PP. The 65's were all over the place but the 55's did real well, including hitting steel at 300 yards.
    The 65's were all over the place, paper plate at 10 yards. I bet if I reduce the charge a little, I can improve it.

I also have a 75 grain mold coming in to try, and Miha has a group buy going on for a 65 and a 75. I'll get some loaded and report back.

I think I'll try a two cavity Lee 55, so I can modify it to Flat base. If it works, I'll pick up another 6 cavity and modify it.

~Samwise~

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Samwise View Post
    Glad I found this, I'd had a damned'able time trying to get Lee 55's to print worth a S#!t. I even sold the mold I had, I was so frustrated, but I had a couple hundred checked and PC'ed stored. Every load I tried it printed like a shotgun at 10 yards.
    with the shortage of ammo and components I wanted to finally see if I could get Cast 223 to fly straight. So I looked, and I ran across these loads.

I was able to load up 23.5 to 24.0gr of 748 under the Lee 55 GC PP and NOE 65 GC and PP. The 65's were all over the place but the 55's did real well, including hitting steel at 300 yards.
    The 65's were all over the place, paper plate at 10 yards. I bet if I reduce the charge a little, I can improve it.

I also have a 75 grain mold coming in to try, and Miha has a group buy going on for a 65 and a 75. I'll get some loaded and report back.

I think I'll try a two cavity Lee 55, so I can modify it to Flat base. If it works, I'll pick up another 6 cavity and modify it.

~Samwise~
    Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12