Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a good BP cleaning rod?

Recommendations for a good BP cleaning rod?

I have been using the cleaning rod that came with the 45-70 trapdoor to clean the bore, carefully! But I know steel against steel is not good with a slip up and without a bore guide.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good cleaning rod that I can mop the bore with on the range AND clean the bore when I get home? It needs to be at least 36" long.

Tipton fiberglass?

Yes, I like the Tipton carbon fiber ones once I fix the bearings so they spin properly.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Banned

specifically for .45-70 after-shoot cleaning, i use a 3/8" x 42" tipton rod with a special boreirider chisel jag but at the range i use one of steve's solid 1pc delrin rods.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Grand Master

I have a few heavy dewy rods that work well. They are 5/16 coated steel 1 piece rods. I use a derlin rod for wiping at the range. I also have a Montana extreme rod that .300 dia? and 50+ inches long coated 1 piece thats real good but a pain to transport carry and on a busy range use. I prefer the 1 piece rods and can be coated or uncoated. What might be nice if you can find the length needed would be a piece of brass tubing 5/16 outside dia 48" long. fit it to a couple bearings in a nice wood handleand a insert for 8-32 threads in the other end. Would be plenty solid lighter and look good. The plug could be a 5/16 set screw of the shot gun threads and take the screw out of a rod adapter from 8-32 - 5/16 24 screw on threaded end and use for the brushes and jags. If all your using is 45-70 then 3/8 of tubing could be used. Turn up a nice walnut handle with a couple bearings or bushings. polish the of of the tubing would be a really nice looking rod.

Now you got me thinking Country Gent, I could make my own with my taps/dies...

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    specifically for .45-70 after-shoot cleaning, i use a 3/8" x 42" tipton rod with a special boreirider chisel jag but at the range i use one of steve's solid 1pc delrin rods.
    Who is steve and where can I get one.

Boolit Grand Master

Click on the link or here http://arizonasharpshooters.com/1794.html

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The tipton rods are the best for deep cleaning. The delrin rods are great for incidental cleaning.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Banned

in essence, the tipton rods are for apres-shoot cleaning, whilst the delrin rods are for fouling control at the range/field.

+1 on what Don McDowell said. My preference cleaning is #1. Montana Extreme and #2. Dewey. Delrin is great for wiping but I don't do that for my gun.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    Get the 3/8" delrin from Steve. It's flexible enough to clean from the breech. Very handy at the range.

Banned

i've found that a really stiff rod is a requirement for cleaning with tight patched jags, for grease groove shooters, and a solid delrin rod is best/easier for range fouling control.

however, since going the paper patched bullet route, after-shoot cleanup is easily done with just the delrin rod and a few patches. oh the joy of bullet lead never touching the barrel lands and grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by varsity07840 View Post
    Get the 3/8" delrin from Steve. It's flexible enough to clean from the breech. Very handy at the range.
    Not on a trapdoor as the op asked. A 5/16 delrin sorta works, but not real well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Not on a trapdoor as the op asked. A 5/16 delrin sorta works, but not real well.
    With all due respect, 3/8" works in all three of my TDs.

I found 5/16 to work better. Just added a brass threaded tip to accept jag or a brush.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    The brass tip is on my bucket list, too

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I found 5/16 to work better. Just added a brass threaded tip to accept jag or a brush.
    The only problem with the Delrin rod is MAYBE there is concern for barrel damage. I have stopped using them and starting using the long Tipton with either a nylon brush to hold the arsenal wiping patch or a flat face jag used as a pusher for pushing some version of bore wipe plug.

Our friend Eron tipped me off to the possible damage a few years ago. He was following the progression with his Hawkeye in the barrel of his high mileage longrange rifle.

The jury may be out on this but we quit using the flexible rods mentioned in above posts.
    Chill Wills

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    The only problem with the Delrin rod is MAYBE there is concern for barrel damage. I have stopped using them and starting using the long Tipton with either a nylon brush to hold the arsenal wiping patch or a flat face jag used as a pusher for pushing some version of bore wipe plug.

Our friend Eron tipped me off to the possible damage a few years ago. He was following the progression with his Hawkeye in the barrel of his high mileage longrange rifle.

The jury may be out on this but we quit using the flexible rods mentioned in above posts.
    wow - interesting! what are the indications that it's the delrin rod? with the tipton, are you using a bore guide?

Vendor Sponsor

The Delrin rod often bows when relaxed and more so in the middle when pushed. I think it is safe to say, few or none are straight while being pushed under load.

When wiping, the rod and what ever grit may be on/in it, rubs the mid section of the barrel. Often, if the rod has some pre-set bow in it, we tend to start the rod into the chamber with the bow or belly at 6 O'clock. No mater if the rod does or does not start at the same orientation, a dirty flexing rod will rub the middle of the bore somewhere along the way.

Our friend thought he was seeing a trough, which is descriptive but far too strong a word, describing possible ware at 6 O'clock near the chamber and extending to the mid section of the barrel.

No bore guides are used when wiping during a match. Not that it is a bad idea but it may not address the mid barrel problem.

How come two old f@4Ts are up writing at this hour in the morning?
    Chill Wills

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast