Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12ga chamber adapter in 243win

12ga chamber adapter in 243win

I have a fairly new chrome moly 243 win barrel that came off of a Weatherby Vanguard. I'd like to spin it up on the lathe and make a chamber adapter out of it to fit a single shot 12ga.
    I plan on cutting the rifle barrel down to approx 14" and recrowning it.
    Then profile the OD to fit the 2-3/4" shotgun chamber.
    I'm sure this is doable but is it dangerous? Too much chamber pressure? How about rearward thrust?
    I have seen chamber adapters from other companies but seldom in rifle calibers.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Grand Master

Bolt thrust and firing pin size would be my areas of concern.

It would be safe on a TC Encore but for others it becomes much more questionable.

The sub gauge adapters work very well. The cartridge adapters not so much.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...good-bad-ugly/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-23-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Bolt thrust and firing pin size would be my areas of concern.

It would work on a TC Encore but for others it becomes much more questionable.
    Same concerns here, plus material and strength of the particular single shotgun frame.

Don't do it. No break open shotgun made will stand that pressure for long. I know about NEF Rossi etc. But they use special steel frames with small firing pins.
    Sell that barrel and get a break open .243-CDNN has Baikal .243s for $189 today.
    Best, Thomas.

Thanks for the input fellas. Just wondered if it's doable.
    I'd like to have a test lab where I can do this type of stuff and safely blast away just to see if the gun will fail. If it is a colossal failure it would be neat to look at the carnage without shedding blood! Lol Kind of a Mythbusters type of thing.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Truck tire & trigger string and a Big tree to hide behind....been there done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Truck tire & trigger string and a Big tree to hide behind....been there done that.
    Funny, that's exactly what i was thinking!

" Holes kill stuff. "

Baling twine to tie the gun to the tire. I've tested suspect guns this way as well as my first rebarrel jobs. Stay behind the tree. You can look After the shot to assess results. I wouldn't try blow-up tests; that's stupid.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    I understand the wondering mind and what if theory but this type of stuff can make us look like we need federal help to keep from hurting ourselves or others and I hate their intervention! Read up on ackley blowing up guns and you will be satisfied. Remember, if the gun did not come apart after a torture test that is not necessarily the end of the story. It could let go later on with a normal load and of course the blame will be on the manufacturing party rather than the idiot who over did it.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    I understand the wondering mind and what if theory but this type of stuff can make us look like we need federal help to keep from hurting ourselves or others and I hate their intervention! Read up on ackley blowing up guns and you will be satisfied. Remember, if the gun did not come apart after a torture test that is not necessarily the end of the story. It could let go later on with a normal load and of course the blame will be on the manufacturing party rather than the idiot who over did it.
    You wouldn't mind it as much as an ambulance crew's intervention. There are plenty of shotguns with modern alloy steel receivers which can make a good .45-70 or 11.15mm Mauser, including with smokeless loads which somewhat exceed black powder. The same might apply to some, not all, older ones, well made and with top extension and crossbolt. But .243 is a very unrelaxing proposition.

I also agree about amateur proof testing. It can indeed create damage which will only show up later, and rifles fail in different ways. I never yet heard of anyone trying it with an artificially induced head separation, for example.

I started doing some quick research on rearward bolt thrust. Looks like the .243 has aprox 8500-10,000 pounds. The 12 gauge is a mere 6500 at best.

" Holes kill stuff. "

What could possibly go wrong ? ? ? ?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Bub
    My math puts the bolt thrust at 10500 lbs and the hoop stresses at 140 kpsi. Way past "bad idea" territory and into "I already called an ambulance" territory.

In Remembrance

I used the tire and string method to test an old Damascus barreled shotgun when a teen ager. The first pull didn't fire, but unknown to me ( I was in a hole with my head down) it turned the tire., the second pull blew a hole in the grain tank of grandpa's combine. The gun held.

Granpa warm your britches up?

Boolit Master
    Most old break open shotguns have cast iron frames with huge firing pins. Those firing pins are aimed right at your face with a hammer gun and a high pressure rifle round can blow them back at you.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Well, that sounds like fun!

Boolit Man
    I have a set of Chiappa adapters. I blew the firing pin out of my old beater shotgun with a little hotter than it should have been 357 load when the fat firing pin blew out the primer. Yeah. Good times.

Boolit Buddy
    it would make a great youtube video!

Besides cast frames on old guns and the pot metal frames on newer ones in addition to large
    Firing Pin, nobody has mentioned head space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast