Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Is this monotype?

Boolit Buddy

Is this monotype?

I paid $2/lb for this. I think I may have over paid. What are your thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Master

Linotype not mono, overpaid? Nah, I don't think so
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    I've read some articles but I don't think I understand. How do you tell the difference?

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't linotype lines (a line of type)not single letters?

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

In Remembrance

Monotype is individual letters, linotype is a sentence or words in a strip. Either is a hard lead, mono is supposedly harder. I have both types and have used both but lean toward linotype for hardening. Melting mono usually results in a dirty looking foam rising on top of the melt. Stir it back in as it`s tin.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty sure that's foundrytype and is the best stuff you can get...

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 FTb.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	191528This is what was sold to me (by the printer) as foundry type.

Name:	20.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	191530 This is linotype. Linotype can also be in spacer strip form. Flat strip, no letters.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Looks like foundry type to me. $2 is a good price.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    I feel like I need to buy more. Thank god tomorrow is pay day

Boolit Buddy
    You have purchased foundry type.

Banned

all those little notched pieces have a letter on the end of them.
    the notch lined up on a bar to make the letters line up into words.
    the type setter would lay it all out.

when I buy lino-type from our print shop here it comes as spacers or the little notched letters.
    Mono Type was reserved for the big block letters that would be re-used over and over again for the bold type on the front page.

when you melt Mono you get the foam.
    that grey bubbly foam is the antimony, turn the heat up on the pot and get you some reductant burning and stir it back in then turn the heat back down.

Boolit Bub
    That is monotype. I used to set it in a printing shop I worked at. Could do that faster than I can type on a keyboard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_metal

here's a link mite help.

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	192010

Here is what a letter press plate looks like. It is 40lb's

I have worked on large web printing press's for 37 years and started on a HOE letter press. I started in "79" and thy had stoped using lead in "76" but one of the guys I worked with had two plates and gave them to me. Never had the hart to melt them down. You'll never see them again. I have another 30lb's melted down that I can use.

That just makes a really neat gadget collector. I wouldn't be able to melt it either.

Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post

here's a link mite help.

I have worked on large web printing press's for 37 years and started on a HOE letter press. I started in "79" and thy had stoped using lead in "76" but one of the guys I worked with had two plates and gave them to me. Never had the hart to melt them down. You'll never see them again. I have another 30lb's melted down that I can use.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    That picture is steriotype. Hard to believe thats how they printed newspapers years ago. The process involved with the production of that drum is really pretty cool. Its hard for me to believe that they produced those drums each and every day to print the paper. Seems like quite a dounting task compared to todays computer to plate technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post

here's a link mite help.

"That picture is steriotype. Hard to believe thats how they printed newspapers years ago. The process involved with the production of that drum is really pretty cool. Its hard for me to believe that they produced those drums each and every day to print the paper. Seems like quite a dounting task compared to todays computer to plate technology."

We have a winner! That is what it is. Alot of the stuff sold as lino was I think Stereotype, there was more of it used than lino. I never worked with it but had to read how thy did it as a AP. Stereotype was made tougher to handle the pounding of the press and could run for hours and still be printing good. The thing in the photo is a letterpress printing plate, it is mounted to the plate cylinder by clamps made in to the cylinder. We had 4 HOE letterpress's each press had 18 plate cylinders, each cylinder took 8 plates. That is 144 plates each at 40lb's comes to 5760lb's for one press and 23,040lb's for all of them. All that lead had to be picked up an taken to the press's by the "plate boys". When I started guys would tell me that in the "old days" no one mested with the plate boys!

Lino was used in type setters and had to cast better than good to keep up with the guy typing. The thing with lino is that it is ether a solid or a liquid, there is no slushy stage. The "Lines of type" were the set in a frame and a wet paper mat was pressed on to it to make a mould of the type and was then put in to a courved frame and dryed to make a courved mould to cast the plate. The plate was then trimed and the back side had the noch's cut for the clamps in the cylinder to lock in to.

Back then it took 16 men to run one press and don't for get all the paper that had to be loaded, a roll was about 2,000lb's and take 40 roll's or more per press. thats about 80,000lb's of paper per press pushed around on carts.

Now we have bigger presses that go faster, robots to bring paper to the press for you, you sit in a control room like Homer Simpson looking at computer screens. and run a fourth as many papers then when I started in 1979! And we get four guys to run it.

I'm glad to be on the tail end of this gig. Will be 60 this summer and am hoping to be able to call it quits by 63. I just hope it lasts that long.
    Last edited by facetious; 03-30-2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Strtspdlx View Post
    I paid $2/lb for this. I think I may have over paid. What are your thoughts?
    That's monotype and you absolutely did not overpay. I would grab every pound you can use at that price then leave anything left for the rest of us. I actually recently sold off most of my monotype to make what I won't use available to others. I'm doing the same with pewter and tin. I don't bother offering it on this site anymore because these guys always try to low ball a seller. I'm having no problem getting my money back out of it elsewhere.