Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Which Pb and WW combination makes the best 30-caliber boolits????

Boolit Mold

Which Pb and WW combination makes the best 30-caliber boolits????

I have some muffin pan ingots of lead (from old plumbing) and some from wheel weights.
    I'm going to be casting (first time, BTW) Ranch Dog TLC .311 165RF with a Hornaday gas check.
    I've read a little about alloys and have smelted at lower temps to avoid mixing in zinc. Ingot were fairly clean and poured into fairly consistent size.
    I wondered if a combination of WW and Pb would be better than either. I also could use the lead for casting .44 for use in saboted .50 cal muzzle loader boolits.
    I'd like somewhat hardened .30 cal boolits for .30-30 or low-velocity .30-06 for deer and hog hunting. I typically load at lower pressures for accuracy.

Any help in adding to my understanding of casting would be gratefully appreciated.
    Face the wind and walk forward
    Hear the forest whisper and follow the sound
    See the horizon grow to a glow or fade to black.
    Feel alive!

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." -- Isak Dinesen, Danish writer (1885-1962)

I have nearly the same NOE mold, just not tumble lube style. I have cast and shot both straight WW and 50/50 blend of WW and lead. Both have worked fine. Mine are gas checked and powder coated, then sized 0.311 for my Marlin 336. I would pick the 50/50 blend for deer to get some expansion. I'd worry the straight WW loads would pass right through (although the flat points are going to hit pretty hard even without expansion).

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

In Remembrance

I`ll second the motion for the 50/50 alloy , have used it for many years in both rifle and pistol boolets.Robert

Boolit Master
    I use 60% pure soft then add chilled, hard birdshot, followed by a little tin sometimes. That mix shoots well in both the 308 and 30/30 plus a bunch of other rifle plus pistol calibers at velocities up to 2200. While wheel weight boolits have shot well for me at times, I have never quite trusted wheel weight alloys so save that and other unknown alloys for fishing jigs and fishing sinkers.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 03-23-2017 at 03:28 PM.

50/50 in all hunting loads in my 30/30, 7X30, 357 Max, 45 Colt and 45/70. Actually more accurate than straight wheel weights.

Boolit Master
    Pardon the intrusion but 50/50 up to what velocity in a 308?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Banned

'up to' depends on too much for the alloy alone to dictate that.
    up to 2700 is easy.
    up to 2200 and hitting the target is another story.

I worry more about absolute fitment and manipulate my alloys towards that end rather than an final bhn.
    a 50-50 alloy is real useful and can be heat treated to a good hardness.
    it however is useless if it's to small for the throat or the land engagement.

Banned

I tried 75-25, WW and pure. Not knowing affects on deer since I never used the rifle but accuracy was top rate. I water dropped them.

Boolit Master
    This is good stuff right here....the blood and bones of it!! Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Banned

Jim that's more like what I use.
    over speeding a large meplated boolit into flesh and bone will give you a very dead animal.
    you'll have to look for some of the parts and pieces but it will be dead.
    I remember hitting a grouse too far down when he suddenly stood upright [as I squeezed the trigger] on the tree branch.
    I was using a large flat meplat at about 2300 fps in my 30-30 and the distance was like 15 feet.
    there are probably feathers still floating down into town from that ridge top.
    that made me re-think a few things about that combinations suitability for deer hunting.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with 50/50 in small batches until I get a better sense of it. I do plan to water quench for hardness.
    I still have cold feet about going from ingots to boolits, but I gotta go sometime.
    Thanks again for helping.
    WGaHunter
    Face the wind and walk forward
    Hear the forest whisper and follow the sound
    See the horizon grow to a glow or fade to black.
    Feel alive!

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." -- Isak Dinesen, Danish writer (1885-1962)