MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cleaning primer pockets?

I did not clean primer pockets until I started reloading black powder cartridges. I do not use a wet tumbling method so some times, there is significant carbon residue in the pocket which would keep a new primer from fully seating. To solve this problem, I cut the blade on a Yankee Screwdriver to fit the large primer pocket and gave the end of th tip a nice square edge. I made a wooden clamp that let me mount the screwdriver with the bit upward next to the turret loading press. Now, as I pick up a case to start the loading cycle, I observe the primer pocket and if carbon or media (I use walnut) is present in the pocket or flash hole, the case is placed with primer pocket over the screwdriver blade and given one or two downward strokes. Pocket is clean! I onlly do selected cases and have never observed any accuracy degredation with cases, black powder or smokeless, that are not given the screwdriver cleaner treatment.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by phonejack View Post
    Yes, every time. I'm retired and I've got the time to do it. I still use a single stage press and a balance beam scale.
    That makes at least two of us. Funny how age changes our perspective.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I did not clean primer pockets until I started reloading black powder cartridges. I do not use a wet tumbling method so some times, there is significant carbon residue in the pocket which would keep a new primer from fully seating. To solve this problem, I cut the blade on a Yankee Screwdriver to fit the large primer pocket and gave the end of th tip a nice square edge. I made a wooden clamp that let me mount the screwdriver with the bit upward next to the turret loading press. Now, as I pick up a case to start the loading cycle, I observe the primer pocket and if carbon or media (I use walnut) is present in the pocket or flash hole, the case is placed with primer pocket over the screwdriver blade and given one or two downward strokes. Pocket is clean! I onlly do selected cases and have never observed any accuracy degredation with cases, black powder or smokeless, that are not given the screwdriver cleaner treatment.

LOL. As I read this I literally stopped & laughed, thinking, " I wonder how many are going to read that & wonder what a, 'Yankee Screwdriver', is?"....

I haven't heard anyone mention that name for that tool in a long long time... So, now I wonder if there are some here who are young enough, or even older & just were never familiarized with the name of that tool. I don't remember when they gave up on Shop class in public schools, but that would be probably about the time of when that name was quite familiar to most boys.... I learned it a bit early with the carpenters & craftsman in my immediate family tree. I imagine others might not have been.

Bit of a sidetrack, but I thought it interesting to mention. It was a surprise, but quite an innovative idea to read about, for someone to be using one in cleaning primer pockets...

and...
    I still clean them primer pockets... Just did about 150 -200 a few hours ago.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    LOL. As I read this I literally stopped & laughed, thinking, " I wonder how many are going to read that & wonder what a, 'Yankee Screwdriver', is?"....

I haven't heard anyone mention that name for that tool in a long long time... So, now I wonder if there are some here who are young enough, or even older & just were never familiarized with the name of that tool. I don't remember when they gave up on Shop class in public schools, but that would be probably about the time of when that name was quite familiar to most boys.... I learned it a bit early with the carpenters & craftsman in my immediate family tree. I imagine others might not have been.

Bit of a sidetrack, but I thought it interesting to mention. It was a surprise, but quite an innovative idea to read about, for someone to be using one in cleaning primer pockets...

and...

My Dad was a cabinet maker among other things. At a very young age, my job was to hang doors, and the Yankey was how it was done. I still have 2 of the original Yankees and a shorter knock off.
    In this day of battery powered tools, the old reliables are a thing of the past, as are the craftsmen that used them.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    My Dad was a cabinet maker among other things. At a very young age, my job was to hang doors, and the Yankey was how it was done. I still have 2 of the original Yankees and a shorter knock off.
    In this day of battery powered tools, the old reliables are a thing of the past, as are the craftsmen that used them.
    Yes, I used one too as a lad, and even as a carpenter long ago. I don't have one any more, but reading the name brought back some memories of Dad, one uncle, & my Gramp's who used them almost daily at times in their lives.

As for cleaning primer pockets... I don't think I would have thought on using one, so I thought that was quite the idea.
    Very cool!

I do not always wash my cases in Citric Acid. When I do, part of the process is to clean primer pockets and give the case an exterior rub on a towel laid on my leg. Just lay the case on the towel and give it a roll removes most of any grime remaining.

For the primer pockets I have used q-tips, which don't last long and which get amazingly dirty very fast. But my favorite tool is a small still bristle brush designed for a dremel. But I just use my fingers. Fits into small pockets a little end pressure swells it up to clean large pockets.

Ever 5 pockets or so I give it a swirl on the towel to remove carbon, debris. Leaves a big black spot.

Would I need to, probably not. But as I am retired, I have the time, it is a pleasant way to spend some time while watching a movie or youtube vid's.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post

and...

Years ago, Mequon Reloading Corp. (MRC) marketed a tool using the "Yankee" screwdriver principle for cleaning primer pockets. It was called the "auto cleaner".
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Whoah! Now that is a cool bit of history!

Thanks for sharing it!

Boolit Master

I believe (not sure) that there was somebody else that made a primer pocket cleaner on the same principle. Was it Lee???
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    For me vib cleaning usually seems to clean out large primer pockets. Small primer pockets, not so much. So I clean whenever they look dirty, more so for easy primer seating than any accuracy issues.

Originally Posted by phonejack Yes, every time. I'm retired and I've got the time to do it. I still use a single stage press and a balance beam scale.
    Same,
    Cheers,
    R
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

Especially since it's in the hunting thread instead of the reloading thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    Years ago, Mequon Reloading Corp. (MRC) marketed a tool using the "Yankee" screwdriver principle for cleaning primer pockets. It was called the "auto cleaner".
    And here I thought I had invented something!
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I clean primer pockets with a old, don't know where I got it, way back in my youth, Erector Set motor with a brass adapter for a RCBS primer pocket brush. Takes about 2-3 seconds, but I have plenty of time.

I clean the pockets because that is how I learn the tool that I got to do it I worn it out so I use a small flat screwdriver and clean it that way.It works for me.and I do not have any miss fire.I also found that the small screwdriver work better then the tool i did had.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    It's a very quick swipe for me. Pay more attention to bp cartridges as the brass is usually converted by me and I want them to last. I'm surprised to see many people not doing it perhaps I can get lazier.
    With my 303brits that I just neck size I don't even tumble. Just shoot and neck size, repeat. No issues yet.
    Last edited by Mgvande; 03-29-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Have more to say

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    I deprime before SS pin wet tumbling which cleans the brass inside and out very well including primer pockets. Its consistency and thats always desirable. They are all clean instead of a mixed variation of pocket fouling. Mostly its to add insurance against high primers/cushioned impact so i don't get malf's in my competition guns but I do it across the board.
    I always hated cleaning primer pockets but I did it for all my rifle loads. Now that I have discovered the SS Pin method of cleaning, I do it for all my brass including pistol. I use a Lee Pro 1000 set up with a collator and a universal decapper and decap all my pistols rounds with that. Speeds things up considerably.

Boolit Master
    When I first started reloading, 40+ years ago, I had some high primers in 38 Special loads. So high that I couldn't close the cylinder. Tore the loads down and found DIRTY primer pockets. Ever since I have cleaned all primer pockets. All cylinders close and all cartridges go bang. Have used various devices made to clean pockets to match sticks and steel wool. for about the last 10 years I have used a small flat blade screwdriver. Small enough to fit the pocket and a couple of twists and excessive carbon is gone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Me too

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123