Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolers?

Boolit Grand Master

Coolers?

Wife wants to get one of the superinsulated coolers. Looked at Cabelas offerings under their brand, the Yeti and Sams had an Igloo that mimics the Yeti, at half the cost. Just going to use it on long trips and hold ice and water. Might bring back some Blue Bell ice cream too!!

What do you have and how do you like it/ how would you rate it?

Boolit Buddy
    Yetis are good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Perma-Banned

Yeti's are good...and there are others that are as good...but, I only have cheap coolers.

Last year, before I retired, my boss had a Yeti that would keep ice for a ridiculous length of time. I would like to have one...just can't justify that price for a cooler.

Boolit Master

I've got an Igloo marine cooler that claims to be "extreme" that I've had for nearly 5 years now. It's got thicker foam than I remember coolers having in the past and does pretty well. But it's starting to show it's age.

I just bought an RTIC 45 quart cooler at Christmas. It's a nice cooler, it seems almost a bit overbuilt. I've used it for tailgating and as a drink cooler on hunting trips. So far I'm satisfied with the performance, but wish I got a slightly bigger one. I think a bigger cooler would take up too much space in the boat though.

The RTIC 45 has just enough room for two twelve packs of bottles plus ice, and a few bottles of water for good measure. I love the "quality" feel and performance, but I'm afraid it'll get stolen out of the bed of my truck. I've been shopping for a cable lock for it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Perma-Banned

I got the rtic one. It is very nice. They are less money than the yeti. I like it and do not feel I gave anything up compared to the Yeti.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 95 quart Pelican and it's awesome. Thanks for the link.

Perma-Banned

Also, if you are not in a hurry subscribe to the Rtic email list. I bought two coolers off them for 40% off when they ran a sale. I do not know if they are still doing it but it is worth the emails to save the money.

Here is their page for the hard coolers
    https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/roto-molded

Boolit Buddy
    I think Blue Bell is overrated. I think you could buy a lot of ice to add to a cooler for the price of a Yeti.

Boolit Grand Master

Coolers?

Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    I think you could buy a lot of ice to add to a cooler for the price of a Yeti.
    I hear this all the time. Yetis are not for tail gating. They're meant for backwoods excursions where you don't have access to ice. If the closest ice is days away that does you no good. Having a cooler full of ice a week into a trip has lots of advantages if you're in the backwoods.

Perma-Banned
    A friend of mine has the Cabelas Version, uses it during Sept Archery Elk, it performs flawlessly EVERYTIME. I dont know about the Yeti and others Warranty? Cabelas Warranty is one of the best in my personal experience with their name brand gear. Even clothing that has been used season after season, if you tear it they will replace it!

Boolit Grand Master

The secret to success with any cooler (cheap or expensive) is to have everything pre-cooled before putting it in the cooler. It's not a refrigerator and depends on the ice to hold everything at the temp you like.
    I have always used the extra thick walled foam coolers with success. It depends on how often, and for how long the cooler is opened, that determines how long it holds cool.
    The Yeti and several others are the ultimate, but you pay a hefty price. Carrying a couple smaller (cheaper) coolers to use out of to keep from constantly opening the main cooler takes some space but is lots more efficent.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

If they can sell something for a 40% discount your just beginning to realize what their markup truly is.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Super Moderator

I got one of the 75 QT Canyon Coolers, I have been very pleased with it.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are anywhere near a store where you can buy ice every other day or so a premium cooler is a waste of a lot of $$$. Pack a regular Igloo or Coleman with large ice cubes and precooled items and you are good to go for 2-3 days.
    If you buy a bag of ice at a store take it home and put it in the freezer overnight and it will get colder and last longer.
    Finally, I bought some silicone ice cube trays on Amazon that makes 2 inch cubes. Much better than regular ice cubes.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I agree the premium coolers are a rip off. I have a plain old Coleman cooler, that I can put dry ice in with frozen food, pack the empty areas with crumpled newspaper, and have things stay good for ten days. Using two coolers is good, one being for immediate items you want out. Don't open the other until you are ready to transfer items to the other cooler to thaw.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I have had a Yeti long before other companies started offering stuff that would compare. Its heavy and built to last. They have a lot of nice features. They have rubber feet on bottom to resist sliding in the truck bed or boat. They have grooves in them to accommodate straps if you need to strap it down in a boat or aircraft. They are lockable. They keep ice longer than any of the $35 or $40 dollar igloos or colemans. But the real savings is how long it last if you use it daily.

When I was working, I would buy a coleman or igloo in March or April and it would live in the back of my truck. In a month or so the latch would be broken. Then a hinge or two would break. By summer, its held together with a tarp strap, the lids warped and it keeps ice for less than a day. The Yeti has been doing this for several years!. Its dirty, skinned up, looks terrible but still works. You can stand on it, sit on it, throw material on top of it. It takes it.

At deer camp, my Yeti will keep ice for a week in warm weather and for 3 weeks in the fall. The guys that have igloos or coleman have to go after ice every couple of days.

The Yeti look-a-likes seem to work just as well. Heck, they are probably made in the same Chinese factory! If you use a roller daily or need ice to last for days, these are nice. If you use a cooler a few days a year, its a big investment. I don't rep for Yeti, I'm just a happy customer!

Perma-Banned

The premium coolers are not a rip off if you use a cooler all of the time. For work crews...they will pay for themselves in the price of alone as they will hold ice much longer and ice is not cheap. Also, they are much more impervious to weather, than the cheap coolers.

Now, am I going to buy...not hardly, I just don't have a need for one as I only use a cooler a couple of times in the fall. If I used them everyday...you can bet that I would have one.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

This reminds me of those who buy $200 dollar flashlights.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Good link
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast